Sad News: Galyans sold off to...

Old December 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM
Bert Robbins

Default Sad News: Galyans sold off to...

"Don White" wrote in message

"JimH" wrote in message
That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!

What are you...Bert's parrot?
Did you ever have an original idea?

What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Old December 1st, 2004, 12:49 AM
Don White

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

What does Harry's colon look like Don?

Please keep your fetishes to yourself Bert. My supper hasn't fully settled
yet.

Old December 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM
Lee D

"Cliff" wrote
As I grow older, it's sad to see some of the old stores gone after fifty
years
of service. Wal*Mart just doesn't have some of the heavier fishing tackle
usually want.

I have been shopping at West Marine for fishing equipment the last few
years.
They have the bigger tackle I need, and are only two blocks from the
marina.

I'm glad to hear that you have a decent West Marine where you live. I wish
the one here was good for something. They have almost no tackle at all and
a very sparse selection of mostly outdated or obsolete electronic marine
equipment. I guess there are just too many decent tackle and sporting goods
stores around here for them to even try to compete.

Lee D

Old December 1st, 2004, 06:24 AM
Lee D

"NOYB" wrote
http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page138.html
In 1996 it was a public company with about 20 stores and a catalog
operation. But running both the retail and catalog outlets proved to be
too much, as did the pressure of opening new stores at a rate to satisfy
investors, said Todd Rymer, the director of real estate, who has been with
the company for 14 years. The chain filed for bankruptcy in 1997.

"Everything that you can think of probably contributed to the financial
troubles," Rymer said.

Gander Mountain's management sold the catalog operation to Sidney,
Neb.-based competitor Cabela's in 1996 for about $35 million in cash (see
story). Holiday Cos., a Bloomington, Minn.-based operator of convenience
stores, bought five of the Gander stores that year and the remainder over
the next year or so when Gander filed for bankruptcy.

Better things happened to the chain shortly thereafter. Stephen Watson,
former president of Minneapolis-based Dayton Hudson Corp. (now Target
Corp.), came on board in 1997 as CEO.

From the looks of all the ammended fillings with the SEC that they had
between 1994 and 1996 ( www.sec.gov ), it looks like they were in trouble
for a while. It kind of looks as if they were trying to hide their
problems, but kept getting caught in their annual audits. I read a little
of one of their filings - they sure knew how to make it seem like they were
doing great... even right up to the bankruptcy.

All creditors were paid off first...and the remaining money from the
buyout went to schleps like me. I got about 6 cents per share I think.

That stinks. Gander Mountain is now trading at a little over $13 a share
and was right at twice that about 6 months ago.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GMTN&d=t

Lee D

Old December 1st, 2004, 08:48 AM
Cliff

In article , "Lee D"
writes:

I wish
the one here was good for something.

Sorry. My point was that the store here is tiny, but stocks only the
sizes and kinds of equipment that you would want for fishing offshore.
Store employees are often people who live aboard boats here.

Sometimes the manager can get me a special price on stock items.
It's always good to be friendly with the manager since there are all
sorts of "discounts" available. Employees get their own discounts,
and are happy to work there for a few months and load up on equipment
cheap before before traveling on.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"