Name this fish

Old September 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Musashi

Default Nope - It's actually a . .

I checked every porgy, grunt, snapper found in Florida, Gulf of Mexico and
Caribbean waters
and found no species that matched the lip structure.
All porgies found in the US have an upper lip fold that runs over the entire
mouth or most of it.
The mystery fish has a small lip fold that is only at the lower end of the
mouth, a feature rather
unusual for porgies, snappers, grunts etc. Additionally, the mystery fish
also has pink rubbery lips, again unusual.
Oddball sal****er specimems can end up in faraway places not only due to
sal****er tropical fish enthusiasts
dumping fish in local waters, but also in the ballast water of ocean going
ships.

"Texx Smith" wrote in message
That looks like a fish I see alot along coastal Florida. It's common name
is "Porgy" and tier's several different kinds. This is one of the most
common, perhaps even the most common.
http://images.google.com/images?q=po...=Search+Images

http://FloridaFishingInformation.com
http://FloridaPhotoGallery.com

"Musashi" wrote in message
m...
Gerres erythrourus
Unfortunbately it is a fish native to Japam, Okinawa.
How it could end up in Florida is beyond me.
Here is a photo of a juvenile. Note the lip structure.

http://fishpix.kahaku.go.jp/fishimag...PHOTO_ID_OPT=2

Old September 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Cliff

Default Name this fish

When you catch an odd fish like that you ought to get a fin and scale
sample and take it to your local fish and game along with the picture.
They should be able to figure out a lot from the samples.

--
Fishing with Cliff
The New Fishing Show in Town

"Charlie Bress" wrote in
:

This fish was caught in Sarasota Bay. This is located on the Gulf of
Mexico south of Tampa Florida.
The picture appeared in the newspaper this morning and it does not
look like a fish that is found here.
Several years ago, I saw one similar caught a little further south.
At that time nobody in the area knew what it was.
There is nothing like in the various local guide books.
The most unusual characteristic is the lips.

http://home.comcast.net/~cbress/fish.bmp

We get all sorts of stragglers here of all kinds: fish, fowl, reptile,
insect and human.

Charlie

Old September 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
[email protected]

Charlie Bress wrote:
This fish was caught in Sarasota Bay. This is located on the Gulf of Mexico
south of Tampa Florida.
The picture appeared in the newspaper this morning and it does not look like
a fish that is found here.
Several years ago, I saw one similar caught a little further south. At that
time nobody in the area knew what it was.
There is nothing like in the various local guide books.
The most unusual characteristic is the lips.

http://home.comcast.net/~cbress/fish.bmp

We get all sorts of stragglers here of all kinds: fish, fowl, reptile,
insect and human.

Charlie

It's some type of mojarra (Family Gerreidae) It is related to the
Okinawawan fish mentioned, but it is a native Florida/Caribbean fish.

You caught a pretty big one. A foot is about the max found. They are
fairly common grassbed/mangrove fishes. Most you see are hand-sized or
less.

http://research.myfwc.com/gallery/im...s.asp?id=13415

http://www.floridafishandhunt.com/ar...sh-records.htm