Reel repair

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Gary

Default Reel repair

I have 6 Penn International 50TW reels. I've noticed that the drags are not
as smooth as they should be and it's been recommended that I have them "Gone
Through". I assume that this will entail a drag replacement and cleaning
and lube job etc. I've never done it before, and I'm wary of sending them
in and asking someone to "go through" them because it seems that every time
you send something in for repair and don't know EXACTLY what needs to be
done, you end up with a HUGE bill that you weren't expecting.

Has anyone had any experience with this and what am I realistically looking
to spend to have my reels serviced?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Capt John

Gary wrote:
I have 6 Penn International 50TW reels. I've noticed that the drags are not
as smooth as they should be and it's been recommended that I have them "Gone
Through". I assume that this will entail a drag replacement and cleaning
and lube job etc. I've never done it before, and I'm wary of sending them
in and asking someone to "go through" them because it seems that every time
you send something in for repair and don't know EXACTLY what needs to be
done, you end up with a HUGE bill that you weren't expecting.

Has anyone had any experience with this and what am I realistically looking
to spend to have my reels serviced?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Gary,

You've got salt in the drag assembly, it's on the drag washer. You'll
probably have to replace the drag washer and clean the metal plate on
the spool it makes contact with as a minimum. It's not a difficult job,
I've done more than a few on top of a cooler with a towel on it
offshore, and sometimes you can even get away with cleaning the
washers. I've been taking care of my own Internationals for years (I
have five 50's, four 70's, two 80's and three 130's, so it pay's for
me to take care of them myself). Just pull the side plate off, remove
the spool, take the four screws off the side of the spool (watch out,
their's a spring in there), clean it up, replace what you have to, and
put it back together. It's really up to you, you can pay to have it
done, or do it yourself. If you don't know what your doing, find a
friend that's done it before. It's really not that bad.

And by the way, this is the reason you leave the drag on full while
underway, and wash the rods and reels with soap and water when you get
back, so you don't have to tear them apart.

John

Old January 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Gary

"Capt John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gary wrote:
[...]

Hey thanks John.

I may bring them home next weekend and just see how difficult it is on my
own. I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver, so this doesn't sound very bad.

Thanks for the tip too on setting the drag to full while underway. I had
never heard that before. I'm meticulous about cleaning the gear with lots
of soap and water when I'm back at the dock, but had never really heard that
about the drags. It makes sense though. While we're on that subject
though, I've been told to leave the drags in free-spool while the reels are
in storage and I've also been told to lock them down. I guess you could
make a good argument for either. What's your feeling?