TBone Vernacular

Old August 26th, 2006, 02:35 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Default TBone Vernacular

Sorry if this is Spam, seriously, but a couple of people have asked me
about some of the phrases I use in my posts.

Rather than explain it over and over here it is.

Halfordian Golfer - is a name I've used for a long time as suggestive
of the technical (frederic halford, you fished upstream, with a dry
fly..everything else was poaching) nature of flyfishing that is much
closer to golf than fishing, or hunting for fish. I think we need to be
careful when we reduce a wild animal to golf ball status. If you can
find it, Dr. Andrew Herd wrote a short story by this name, he asked my
permission. Read it. It's funny as hell and spot on.

Guilt replaced the creel - my own demon. I used to fish for food and I
want to when I fish, but am too guilty to do it too much anymore.
Sometimes a wild cutt at 12,000' in Colorado is just too beautiful to
kill, I'm to guilty to kill it but not too guilty to not accidentally
kill it. This is troubling.

A cash flow runs through it - simply a statement that the people who
dictate the ethics of the sport are usually the ones with a financial
gain in doing so. Take a look, pay attention, and you'll see this as an
absolute.

It is impossible to catch and release a wild trout - This is a take-off
of the TU license plate frame "catch and release wild trout". Since
the word wild is used to describe the relative absence of the influence
of man, this statement is an oxymoron. By catching a wild trout, de
facto, the trout is 'less wild' for the action.

Your pal - is a deference to Norman Maclean's short story "Logging and
Pimping and Your Pal, Jim" about a logger (who was a pimp in the
winter) who wrote short letters always signing them, "Your Pal,"

Your pal,

Halfordian Golfer
Guilt replaced the creel.