October trip to Pecos, NM

Old September 20th, 2006, 03:37 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Jim

Default October trip to Pecos, NM

I am planning a trip to Pecos River/Wilderness the week of Oct 9. I am a
beginning fly fisher, Any advice on guides and areas of the Pecos and Mora
Rivers to fish would be appreciated.
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:26 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mr. Opus McDopus

"Jim" wrote in message
.131...
I am planning a trip to Pecos River/Wilderness the week of Oct 9. I am a
beginning fly fisher, Any advice on guides and areas of the Pecos and Mora
Rivers to fish would be appreciated.

Take your question to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly--if you want an
answer/response before the 10th of Oct.

This NG is a ghost !
Op

Old September 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Jim wrote:
I am planning a trip to Pecos River/Wilderness the week of Oct 9. I am a
beginning fly fisher, Any advice on guides and areas of the Pecos and Mora
Rivers to fish would be appreciated.

I asked a friend (who's a regular of ROFF but who doesn't get
alt.flyfishing) who has graciously offered up this:

The Pecos is an on/off fishery as far as I can tell. I don't
think the stream is very fertile. It has resident browns,
and in the section up to Cowles they do stock rainbows. It
has some decent flyfishable water along the road up to
Cowles, but other sections are quite overgrown. I don't
think northern NM has been getting as much rain as we have,
so it's probably fishable. If the person is interested in
hiking, they can follow the river up into the Pecos
Wilderness, and probably catch more wild browns -- I'd
think a small hopper would be killer right now. The Mora
branch up in the wilderness is also popular for flyfishing,
especially a "meadows" section that is a short trail hike
from Iron Gate campground. I've fished the Mora further
up from the meadows section (again, a hopper pattern) and
there were plenty of willing browns, albeit small (6-10").

Thanks,

TBone
Guilt replaced the creel...

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
AES

Hey Jim. I have not fished the Pecos in the last 2 seasons but it has been a
productive river. Some areas are heavily fished and crowded with the better
areas being a hike. There is a good description of the river and areas in
Craig Martin's book Fly fishing in Northern New Mexico. Best time to fish is
Jun - Sep usually.

Also, Contact the guys at The Reel Life in Santa Fe
(www.reellifesantafe.com) especially as weather and rainfall has been
erratic this year. They are the best guides and info for the area.

Enjoy

.131...