What kind of sinker is this?

Old November 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM
R.H.

Default What kind of sinker is this?

Please take a look at the sinker in photo number 187 on the site below:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I was hoping someone here could verify what type of fishing it might be used for.

Thanks,
Rob

Old November 11th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
Please take a look at the sinker in photo number 187 on the site below:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I was hoping someone here could verify what type of fishing it might be
used for.

Rob,

The sinker looks like an old style in-line sinker. This type is the
precursor to the rubber core sinker. You simply wrap the line through the
metal coil at one end, the line then follows the spiral down to the other
end. You again spin the line through the coil and you have a non-slip
sinker that goes anywhere on the line.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old November 11th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Sarge

Possibly a bottom finder. It slides up and down the line so when you hit
teh bottom the line can float freely away from teh sinker with teh current.

Sarge

Old November 11th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Davy Holt

In message , "Steve @
OutdoorFrontiers" writes

"R.H." wrote in message
. com...
Please take a look at the sinker in photo number 187 on the site below:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I was hoping someone here could verify what type of fishing it might be
used for.

Rob,

The sinker looks like an old style in-line sinker. This type is the
precursor to the rubber core sinker. You simply wrap the line through the
metal coil at one end, the line then follows the spiral down to the other
end. You again spin the line through the coil and you have a non-slip
sinker that goes anywhere on the line.

It can also be used to help stop the line kinking when spinning/
trawling a lure, simply attach it to your line then bend it slightly and
it acts as a keel.

They arn't old and are still available in most tackle shops over here in
the UK
--
Davy Holt *** The Scottish Angling Homepage ***
Clydebank *** www.thecatchalot.co.uk ***

MSN Messenger:
ICQ : 81258455
Yahoo Messenger : davyh_2001
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM
R.H.

"doS" wrote in message
181 is a heel tap...

This one isn't a tap, but a lot of people have guessed that.

Old November 11th, 2004, 09:18 PM
R.H.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

om...

Thanks for the info, any idea if it's for sal****er, freshwater or both?

Old November 14th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Davy Holt

In message , R.H.
writes
Thanks for the info, any idea if it's for sal****er, freshwater or both?

Over here it is mainly used in fresh water as most of them are 2oz or
less, I have however seen heavier ones that were used in salt water.