Rubber Isolators or no?

Old March 5th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Charles B. Summers

Default Rubber Isolators or no?

Ok, time for another round of "Charles's Idiot Questions", with your host...
Charles Summers!

Thank you contestants, you know the rules... the first person with the most
convincing argument wins!

First question, for $100... I went to the local BPS to pick up some of those
little rubber trolling motor bolts and a connector cable for the batteries.
After getting home and opening the box the new trolling motor was in, I
found a little bag of 6 long bolts, washers, and nuts, and after reading the
directions... they are for mounting the motor to the boat. But, the rubber
ones are for mounting too! So, which method should I go with? The rubber
isolators or the bolts with nuts?

Now... before you jump in here, there is a part two.

The rubber bolts keep the trolling motor from resting on the gelcoat
preventing damage. If I went with the bolts that were in the box, should I
use something with them to prevent the mount from damaging the gelcoat, or
is mounting the motor without a cushion ok?

insert calming music here

Old March 5th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Pat Goff

Charles,
Take those rubber pieces of garbage and throw them straight into the trash.
Useless would be a compliment.

Here's Pats two best way to mount a troll motor.
1. Absolute best way: **IF** you can get underneath to thru bolt it on, go
buy a rubber truck mud flap, cut it out the same size as your troll motor
mount. set your mount on the big rubber pad you just made, and use
stainless bolts, fiber lock nuts and the biggest dang washers you can, and
suck that mount down to the deck. It will never give you trouble.

2. Almost abolute best way. If you can NOT hold a wrench under the deck to
thru bolt, get some stainless "togglers" which can be had at your marine
dealer, use the same mudflap for a bracket pad, and those will never give
you trouble.

Those cheezy rubber isolators are just a disaster waiting to happen.

Old March 5th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Charles B. Summers

Instead of throwing them in the trash...I'm sure I can take the unopened
package back to BPS and exchange them in on a couple bags of my favorite...
Red Shad Powerworms, or should I do someone else a favor and trash them so
at least some someone else don't buy and use them?

I value your opinion, so I'll end the contest right here. I'll see what I
can do as far as reaching up underneath there and using the fiber washers.
Maybe my son can still squeeze into the rod locker? That'll be a hoot trying
to get him to actually hold the wrench where I want it, instead of him
disassembling the rest of my boat, but that's another story.

If I recall, you worked for Tracker at one time... so do you know off-hand
if reaching them from the rod locker is possible? This is the 700LX, and the
locker door pretty much extends to the front of the boat. The mount on this
one (Maxxum) appears to be longer than the old one, think I'll get all six
bolts to work? Maybe I'll run over to NTOWS to see if anyone has any
installation pics.

I'm sure I have some industrial type rubber (1/8" thick) around here
somewhere that we use to use as gasket material on our storage tank...

Thanks Pat!

Old March 5th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Outstanding suggestions Pat. I just happen to have a couple of truck mud
flaps in the garage, but I'm sure he'll want to install it way before we get
to Center Hill. Now I'm thinking about changing mine to the way you said.

Old March 5th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Huck Palmatier

....on the NitroOwners site..in the grab-bag.....look for the "wrench
extender" to get up under the foredeck
offered Huck

Old March 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Charles,

I have several truck mud flaps in the garage, too. Let me know if you want
them. When I see them lying by the road, I pull over and toss them in the
truck. They've come in real handy for a number of projects over time, so I
keep a couple on hand.

Joe
_________

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Bob Rickard

Wow! I pull over for any kind of old roadkill. I knew we were just alike,
Joe.

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in

Old March 5th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Carlos

The only thing I have to add is, when doing general boat maintenance,
lubing, repairing etc. Add checking the trolling motor bolts. As part
of my pre-water & post water inspection and wipe down, I always tug on
the trolling motor to see if any bolts have worked loose. I have been
to too many tournaments where guys lost trolling motors in rough water.
Probably because of those cheesey rubber bolt-things.
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM
go-bassn

Bolts with rubber-core nots, lock washers, the works. I hate those rubber
thingies. Make sure all mounting hardware is stainless steel Chaz...good
luck.

Warren

Old March 5th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Charles B. Summers

Ok, so far so good...

I'm not using the isolators, and have managed to get the old motor off and
hahve two of the six bolts installed on the new one. What's cool is that the
old holes match the new ones, so I only need to drill two more holes. (Break
time right now)

The trick now is to manage to get way up to the nose of the boat with my
extended ratchet and figure a way to get the washer on with the nut. Gonna
try taping it to the socket to see what'll happen. LOL