simulate bottom half of a minnor

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Todd[_2_]

Default simulate bottom half of a minnor

Hi All,

I was at a 90+ year old customer's house
helping him archive pictures from when he was
a kid. The ones that got me were the tarps filled
with 20 to 30 3+ lb trout. Wow. So I asked
him what he used. He said the caught a little 2
to 3 inch minnow with a tiny worm, then cut the
minnow in half and floated the bottom (tail)
section down in the current. He also said that
the head section did not work so well, just
the tail section.

Now two days ago another 70+ guy told me the
same thing for spring browns. He also said he
noticed that the plastic swim baits did not work
at all, which I had also noticed. And that the
head section did not work.

Anyone know of a way to simulate the bottom
half of a minnow? Fly? Rubber? Cut the
bottom off a swim bait?

Many thanks,
-T
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
family-outdoors

On Feb 13, 6:41*pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

Why not use the bottom half of a minnow? Are you in an artificial
only area?

www.family-outdoors.com
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Todd[_2_]

family-outdoors wrote:
On Feb 13, 6:41 pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

I only get to go fishing for an hour or so at the local
river when I get off early. So time is an issue. And
catching minnow takes time. Not to mention chopping
them apart ... (I have no problems dressing a trout, but
all I can think of when I am doing that is butter, salt,
pepper, Rosemary ...) And, we are only allowed to
use minnows that we catch: no importation or store bought
minnows allowed.

Also, I find it great fun to catch trout on artificials.
I caught more fish this summer on yellow hare's ears than
I have ever caught in my life. I even let a bunch of them
go -- a real milestone for me.

And there are spring browns in the river starting the first
mild run off of spring. They like meat and won't touch
a fly. Had on old duffer tell me when, where and how (bottom
half of a minnow). It pays to have duffers for customers!

Please excuse my rambling,

-T

Old February 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rodney Long

Todd wrote:

[...]

I have the next evolution in trout fishing, this will out perform even
this cut bait technique, and you use soft plastics,

http://secretweaponlures.com/spectastic.htm

I will even prove that it works better

email me your mailing address, and I will send you a single recoil rig
for free

-T

--
Secret Weapon Recoil Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Todd[_2_]

Rodney Long wrote:
I have the next evolution in trout fishing, this will out perform even
this cut bait technique, and you use soft plastics,

http://secretweaponlures.com/spectastic.htm

I will even prove that it works better

email me your mailing address, and I will send you a single recoil rig
for free

Hi Rodney,

I took a look at your web site and I appreciate your offer. But,
it is not what I am after. The environment I am in is fast water.
The bait/lure/fly has to drift naturally with the current. Although
I do not fish with a fly rod, the technique I use is very similar to
fly fishing. Your very interesting rid is much more suited to
still water fishing. And I really do appreciate your offer.

Many thanks,
-T
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rodney Long

Todd wrote:
Rodney Long wrote:
I have the next evolution in trout fishing, this will out perform even
this cut bait technique, and you use soft plastics,

http://secretweaponlures.com/spectastic.htm

I will even prove that it works better

email me your mailing address, and I will send you a single recoil rig
for free

Hi Rodney,

I took a look at your web site and I appreciate your offer. But,
it is not what I am after. The environment I am in is fast water.
The bait/lure/fly has to drift naturally with the current. Although
I do not fish with a fly rod, the technique I use is very similar to
fly fishing. Your very interesting rid is much more suited to
still water fishing. And I really do appreciate your offer.

Many thanks,
-T

Todd this thing also catches huge numbers of trout in fast water, you
have nothing to loose to try it

Old February 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
family-outdoors

On Feb 14, 9:58*pm, Todd wrote:
family-outdoors wrote:
On Feb 13, 6:41 pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

I hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you fishing - that is
what river? If you don't wish to say, that's fine, or if you want to
send me an email. I run a website and like to learn about every body
of water I can and I am kinda' curious about this.
Family-Outdoors
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Todd[_2_]

family-outdoors wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:58 pm, Todd wrote:
family-outdoors wrote:
On Feb 13, 6:41 pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

No problem. The Carson River on the Nevada side.

I just remembered a comment I read some time ago
but can not remember where. It went like this,
that trout attack minnows based on the position
of the minnow's eyes (not looking at them). And
will bypass other minnows that are looking at them.

I am wondering if that is why the bottom, non-eye,
section of the minnow works best: no eyes!

-T
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Todd[_2_]

Rodney Long wrote:
Todd wrote:
Rodney Long wrote:
[...]

The fly fisherman down here do something similar to what you
are doing. The use a bead head fly, such as a wolly bugger, as
the weight on the end, and a nymph where you put the rubber
lure. The difference is that they do not use an elastic line
between the bottom weight and the nymph. It is a total
pain in the ass, as all it does is get tangled up. And
no beaded anything catches anything as it does not float
correctly.

What I am trying to simulate with all my presentations
is what is described by Ralph Cutter as the "catastrophic
drift". This is what I am trying to reproduce.

And, the river's bottom is very rocky. The MOST weight
I can add is a single tiny split shot. Anything larger and
I starting catching moss fish, bottom fish, rock fish. I
loose a lot of rigs on that river.

What you need to convince me of is how I would do
a drift with your counter balance weight and 1) not
catch a rock fish and 2) simulate a catastrophic drift?

Sorry for the ramble,
-T

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rodney Long

Todd wrote:
Rodney Long wrote:
Todd wrote:
Rodney Long wrote:
[...]

Not even close to the same rig

What I am trying to simulate with all my presentations
is what is described by Ralph Cutter as the "catastrophic
drift". This is what I am trying to reproduce.

I thought you just wanted to catch more trout :-)

And, the river's bottom is very rocky. The MOST weight
I can add is a single tiny split shot. Anything larger and
I starting catching moss fish, bottom fish, rock fish. I
loose a lot of rigs on that river.

My rig works great with a tiny split shot

I have a tiny wire that the split shot is crimped on, the wire will not
hang you up, but will allow you to work a lure in one spot. If the split
shot does hang up, the wire pulls out of it, so you just crimp another
shot on

What you need to convince me of is how I would do
a drift with your counter balance weight and 1) not
catch a rock fish and 2) simulate a catastrophic drift?

Well instead of drifting the bait by where the fish are, with my rig you
just throw it where they are, and it stays there until you catch the fish