TR: Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.

Old October 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Roger Ohlund

Default Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.

"Vaughan Hurry" wrote in message
On the other hand, I would think that Vaughan was quite satisfied with

the
stretch that we did go to.

Indeed - but where was Osmo with his camera when I needed him!

I was in the region hunting for ptarmigan mid September. We stayed in a

Sami
cabin high up the mountains, say 50 kilometers from the nearest road.
Brought my fishing gear, only got to fish for two hours but caugh the

second
largest Arctic char of my life at 22 inches.

You know, there are times when I really start to dislike you Ohlund.......
22" char and you get to hunt for ptarmigan as well? And I am stuck at
work................

And I who try really hard not to hurt your feelings......;-)
I have a picture of that char lying beside the Glenmorangie bottle, just in
case you'd wanna measure it.
BTW did I tell you that we shot 98 ptarmigans in 3 days ??

Thinking of next year. I was up at Saxnas last weekend of the season but

did
not fish. I was with Åsa and did not want my rings thrown at me :-). It
looks like a nice area for early in the season next June. If you and Jarmo
are still interested I would be keen as well. July will be difficult for

me
next year as I have to go to Japan July 10-15 but mid summer - ish should
still work.

I will go there AND I'm planning on bringing you, Jarmo, Fred, Erik and Bo
Lindfors. That way we won't have to share the stretch with strangers =)

Not sure when it would be best to try Miekak, if that is still a
possibility.

Yes, I'm planning for it.

/Roger

Old October 6th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Vaughan Hurry

I will go there AND I'm planning on bringing you, Jarmo, Fred, Erik and Bo
Lindfors. That way we won't have to share the stretch with strangers =)

Great, I will look forward to it (I'm not even going to touch the 98
ptarmigan.....). BTW, I have finally settled on a rod to replace the
Paradigm I sadly busted on the clave. Carl Anderberg has agreed to build an
81/2 foot 3 piece parabolic rod for me. I spent a few hours casting one of
Lars-Åke's 8' #5/6 rods with a similar taper and it was lovely but I decided
on something a little longer and a little heavier for the wind up north.
Something else for me to look forward to next spring.

cheers

Vaughan

any interest in seatrout on Oct 15?

Old October 6th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Roger Ohlund

"Vaughan Hurry" wrote in message
I will go there AND I'm planning on bringing you, Jarmo, Fred, Erik and

Bo
Lindfors. That way we won't have to share the stretch with strangers

=)

Great, I will look forward to it (I'm not even going to touch the 98
ptarmigan.....). BTW, I have finally settled on a rod to replace the
Paradigm I sadly busted on the clave. Carl Anderberg has agreed to build

an
81/2 foot 3 piece parabolic rod for me. I spent a few hours casting one of
Lars-Åke's 8' #5/6 rods with a similar taper and it was lovely but I

decided
on something a little longer and a little heavier for the wind up north.
Something else for me to look forward to next spring.

cheers

Vaughan

any interest in seatrout on Oct 15?

Vaughan,

That would be wednesday next week?
I might just be able to.
Where are you heading?

/Roger

Old October 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Willi

Great report. Were the pictures of the "creek" or the reservoir. If the
creek, it would be a major river in the States.

Willi

Old October 7th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Roger Ohlund

"Willi" wrote in message

Great report. Were the pictures of the "creek" or the reservoir. If the
creek, it would be a major river in the States.

Willi

Willi,

The pictures are from the creek. Only, it isn't normally as big as in those
pictures since this was from a calm stretch.
You can see what the rest looks like if you visit the "Mountain rivers"
section on the web site and have a look at "Ransaran creek".

/ Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime flyfisherman
If you feel like it, visit
http://biphome.spray.se/angler/ for info on
flyfishing in northern Sweden, Lapland

Old October 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Vaughan Hurry

That would be wednesday next week?
I might just be able to.
Where are you heading?

/Roger

Yes, that would be Wednesday next week. The only stretch open for fishing is
from Hynglesbole (sorry, I can't spell that but you know where I mean) down
stream. I usually start at the top of the rapid at dawn and then move down
below for the rest of the day when everyone else shows up. If there are 2 of
us (or more, Karel might come as well) it might be better to drop one of
below the rapid and the other fish that short stretch above by themselves.
There is not really space for more than 1 fishermen - even if you do see 3
or 4 stuffed in there sometimes. October 15 can be pretty busy but I usually
go for the fun of it. Let me know if you can make it.

Vaughan

I don't know what the water will be like after this ran but it should be OK

Old October 7th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Vaughan Thinking of next year. I was up at Saxnas last weekend of the
Vaughan season but did not fish. I was with Åsa and did not want my
Vaughan rings thrown at me :-). It looks like a nice area for early
Vaughan in the season next June. If you and Jarmo are still
Vaughan interested I would be keen as well.

Definitely yes. At the moment it seems to me that all other dates
except those around June 14th should be fine for me.

Vaughan Not sure when it would be best to try Miekak, if that is
Vaughan still a possibility.

Miekak would be great. I've also been planning on a two-week trip
somewhere in Norway, not yet sure where. Let me know if you're
interested.

BTW, I have reserved a four-day trip to Em-river at the end of March.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Vaughan Hurry

BTW, I have reserved a four-day trip to Em-river at the end of March.

--
Jarmo Hurri

You can get a license to fish Emån? I did not know that, I had been told it
was mostly club water. You are having dreams of a 15kg seatrout Jarmo?

Vaughan

Old October 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Vaughan You can get a license to fish Emån? I did not know that, I
Vaughan had been told it was mostly club water. You are having dreams
Vaughan of a 15kg seatrout Jarmo?

A guy here in Finland has a contact there for a piece of private
water, I think it was 7 or 8 kilometers. Licences and accommodation
(in fairly primitive huts, I think) was something like 250 e, so it
wasn't that bad.

About those 15kg seatrout - I haven't caught a fish with my
fly-fishing gear the whole year (caught a few pike with spin gear a
couple of weeks ago). So even a tiny minnow would make me extremely
happy at this point! :-)

BTW, what happened to your Paradigm? I saw that you were going to
*replace* it - not fix it - so does that mean that you sold it or lost
it?

Old October 7th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Vaughan Hurry

BTW, what happened to your Paradigm? I saw that you were going to
*replace* it - not fix it - so does that mean that you sold it or lost
it?

Hi Jarmo,

Sold it? Are you mad? I busted the it during the Lapland clave. The
mid-section worked loose while casting (if I can use the term here - more
like lobbing and ducking......) a pair of heavy Czech nymphs. I managed to
hook a nice little trout, stuck and my rod made an ugly popping sound and
the top 2 sections flopped into the water. You can guess the rest. Seriously
stupid behaviour on my part, I was checking the connections but not often
enough and should have been using that useless bloody Sage of mine for that
sort of fishing anyway. T&T would have repaired it for me but the cost of
shipping to the US and their handling fee was about the same as the
deductible on my insurance so the rod went into the dumpster and in March I
will have a new split cane.......... A sad end to a wonderful rod. Pity it
wasn't the Sage that I broke but if I had Loop would have just fixed it for
me in Sweden (again) and I would still be stuck with it.

Vaughan