cdc caddis

Old October 6th, 2003, 07:32 AM
no

Default cdc caddis

I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Osmo Jauhiainen

"no" kirjoitti viestissä
I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

Is there any picture available about this fly?

I have been tying lot of cdc winged small flies using hook size 12 mostly.
I use natural cdc class 1 feather (white and grey) for wing, some hair for
tail, poly yarn for
body and cock neck for front hackle. Seems to fish well graylings also as
wet.

OsmoJ

Old October 6th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Herman Nijland

no wrote:
I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

It would work great probably, but you can keep it simple if you want to
and just use tying thread for the body.
It looks like you bought a F-fly. See a recent thread (F-Fly in small
sizes) for more information. Here's a link to that thread in Google:
http://tinyurl.com/pumo

--
Herman

Old October 6th, 2003, 12:11 PM
-- Rob

don't know about the specifics of your fly, but use a curved light wire scud
hook
(Tiemco 2487 I believe), add a sparse trailing shuck of brown zlon and you've
got a killer emerger pattern.

Herman is right, you can keep it simple with thread, varying the color of the
thread and cdc for different patterns.

Also, another method with CDC is to make sure you keep the CDC dense: one way
is to strip the cdc feathers off the stem, roll them up, tie down in the middle
and pull the 2 halves up parachute style.
The fly will then float like a cork, no floatant needed EVER.

-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Jim Ray

Biggest problem would seem to be finding good quality CDC in quantities
large enough to make tying these things economically viable. Those little
Spirit River packs just don't tie many flies! (Course it doesn't take much
material for a #20 does it?) Any supplier suggestions?

Jim Ray

Old October 6th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Sierra fisher

A problem with CDC patterns is that they do not float very high. They can
be very difficult to see. In the late summer, I usually start out with a
size 12 with a lot of hackle so that it rides high. However is the fish
are taking small, emerging caddis, you may not have much choice but to fish
them
"no" wrote in message
I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

---

Old October 6th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

no wrote:

I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

There's a number of very sparse patterns that Im using here in the
Sierras. One is the Hot
Creek caddis which uses a few strands of elk. Another is ties on a 200R
with olive or grey
8/0 thread as the body, grey or brown CDC wing, peacock head with a few
turns of grizzle
hackle cut flat underneath.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:

1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Old October 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:

Forgot to mention that these are all 20 or smaller.

Old October 6th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Stephen Welsh

no wrote in
:

I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and
it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I
noticed when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no
dubbed body hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

Check out the CDC and Elk ... leave off the deer wing and add a CDC
wing if you like

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...10702fotw.html

I've found the original very useful as a Caddis pattern.

For smaller sizes (18-24) ... wrap the body with CDC as at the URL
above, at the head secure the CDC then fold it back over body to form
a wing, trim to length. Quick, slick and an effective fly to boot.

Steve