cicada info

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Mike O'Neil

Default cicada info

At the bottom of the following site are maps and timing charts for the
15 broods of periodic cicadas.

http://tinyurl.com/2tnmt

I'm thinking of trying the following for my local smallies:

hook: probably mustad sproat
underbody: burnt orange chenille
overbody: large black 'scrubber bug' body
wings: super hair tied spent

mike o in knoxville
been reading this group for seven years now, thought i'd post for once
Mike O'Neil
Statistical Consulting Center
200 Stokely Management Center
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37916

865-974-8333

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Scott Seidman

Mike O'Neil wrote in :

http://tinyurl.com/2tnmt

bad link, Mike

Scott
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Mike O'Neil

Ssorry about that.

Here's the long url:

http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?reques...e=03&page=0386

or go to www.bioone.org and search for cicada in the title, it's the the
Marshall article, second one in the list

Old April 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Tom Littleton

Mike writes:
I'm thinking of trying the following for my local smallies:

hook: probably mustad sproat
underbody: burnt orange chenille
overbody: large black 'scrubber bug' body
wings: super hair tied spent

Mike, while you are at it, tie this one and compare results:
Hook - #8 or 10 2xl
Body - Black yarn, tied very full
Wing- Deer hair, natural, a bit more sparse than on a Muddler wing(you want
the fly to hang, and then slowly sink)
Head- loop dubbed black dyed woodchuck
and rabbit mix, pick some long hairs out.
Dub head over butts of hair wing.

Lob this monstrosity near targeted fish, make sure it lands with a "plop".
Allow to drift and slowly sink. Fish tend to nail it while it goes under.
Tom
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Willi

Tom Littleton wrote:

Lob this monstrosity near targeted fish, make sure it lands with a "plop".
Allow to drift and slowly sink. Fish tend to nail it while it goes under.

Have you fished this "hatch" before?

Do many of the Cicada's end up in the water?

Do the fish get satiated?

I would think that with the size of the bugs, if you hit it right you
could get into big fish that you normally wouldn't even see.

Willi

Old April 14th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Frank Reid

Have you fished this "hatch" before?

Fished annual cicadas in Nebraska. It was a good fallback pattern.

Do many of the Cicada's end up in the water?

Yes, and they flounder quickly.

Do the fish get satiated?

Not that I've seen, but that was small mouth.

I would think that with the size of the bugs, if you hit it right you
could get into big fish that you normally wouldn't even see.

The folks that I've talked to said is was one of the most incredible fishing
experiences of their lives. They talked about home streams full of 10-12"
brownies that they caught all of the time. During the cicada hatch, these
folks caught about 5lb monsters that no one knew were there. Huge white
splotches on your windshield and some broken windshields on the interstate.
Smallies hitting big fat black surface bugs for months after the hatch was
done. I'm truly excited about it. Penns will be right at the start of the
whole thing and right in the middle of Brood X.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old April 14th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Tom Littleton

Willi asks:
Have you fished this "hatch" before?

yes, we have had a few years with significant cicadas.

Do many of the Cicada's end up in the water?

No, only a very small percentage

Do the fish get satiated?

Hardly, but they do figure out that one blundering cicada makes a large meal

I would think that with the size of the bugs, if you hit it right you
could get into big fish that you normally wouldn't even see.

Sort of....when you have a heavy infestation, enough of them seem to find the
water so that some fish seem to learn to keep an eye out for them. I find you
can occaisionally bring up large trout and smallmouth with a large, ugly, rough
imitation. It is a one-shot deal, worth at best a couple casts near the lie of
a target fish. Some people seem to be expecting them to be a mainstay of late
spring fishing, but they won't be.....merely a sideshow.
Tom