REWARD for Lost Fly Rod

Old August 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
chas

Default REWARD for Lost Fly Rod

I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start posting
again. Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. It's a Loomis rod with a Ross reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. If hear of it being found, let me know.
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

An easy $100 for the finder.

Thanks,

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 09:49:11 GMT, chas wrote:

I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start posting
again. Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. It's a Loomis rod with a Ross reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. If hear of it being found, let me know.
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

I sympathize, sorta, but I have to ask - why would the person who _lost_ the
item need to withhold identifying info? I mean, if someone finds a medium-duty
Loomis with a Ross in the parking area at the trail head of the South Fork of
the Hoh river, are you going to quiz the finder for specific details to prevent
them from trying to phonily foist off upon you a different medium-duty Loomis
with a Ross that was not, in fact, found in the parking area at the trail head
of the South Fork of the Hoh river...?

An easy $100 for the finder.

Hmmm...not so easy if they have to go through all sorts of hoops to prove they
found the right Loomis with a Ross that they found in the parking area at the
trail head of the South Fork of the Hoh river...

Thanks,

You're welcome?

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

TC,
Old August 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Aug 5, 4:49*am, chas wrote:
I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start posting
again. *Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. *It's a Loomis rod with a Ross reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. *If hear of it being found, let me know. *
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

An easy $100 for the finder.

Man, am I glad I've never done that.
Frank Reid
(well, it sounded good)
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Aug 5, 8:16*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 09:49:11 GMT, chas wrote:
I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start posting
again. *Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. *It's a Loomis rod with a Ross reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. *If hear of it being found, let me know. *
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

I sympathize, sorta, but I have to ask - why would the person who _lost_ the
item need to withhold identifying info? *

Seems to me that if you have the rod, he gave enough info to identify
it. And if you don't, then any more info is useless.

--riverman

Old August 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 07:12:47 -0700 (PDT), riverman wrote:

On Aug 5, 8:16*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 09:49:11 GMT, chas wrote:
I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start posting
again. *Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. *It's a Loomis rod with a Ross reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. *If hear of it being found, let me know. *
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

I sympathize, sorta, but I have to ask - why would the person who _lost_ the
item need to withhold identifying info? *

Seems to me that if you have the rod, he gave enough info to identify
it. And if you don't, then any more info is useless.

Er, well, normally, it's someone who _finds_ something that "reserves...details"
so as to weed out false claimants...IAC, it struck me funny...the whole idea of
someone finding a Loomis with a Ross at that location, and Chas and the finder
each grilling each other to make absolutely sure it was the SAME Loomis, etc.,
etc...OTOH, I must confess, I don't think I've ever been to where Chas left his
rod, so perhaps there are regularly multiple Loomis' with Ross' littering the
ground there...

But if it didn't strike you similarly, hey, that's why there's chocolate and
vanilla...

HTH,

--riverman

Old August 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Aug 5, 8:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

--riverman- Hide quoted text -

I think he was just posting the essentials in the interests of . . .
er keeping it short. Not everybody is as verbose as you or I.

Old August 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Aug 5, 8:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

Dave

WTF...? What more than "the essentials" are needed in a case like this? Again,
I'm pretty sure that I've never been to the location in question, so perhaps one
does need Simms' G45 LoomisGuard waders to wallow though this chin-deep stretch
of lost Loomii without drowning in graphite...but I don't think so...

....and hey, Chas - just put yer goldurned name and number on yer ****ing rods,
so the next time you lose one, some poor schmuck sorting through that veritable
mountain of lost rods will at least have an easy time with yours...

I don't how to explain it, but I just have a vision of Harold and Kumar finding
Ashton Kutcher's brain, just sorta lying on the gravel, and trying to return it
to him on their way to White Castle...

Whoa, dude - where's your rod,
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

"chas" wrote in message
I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start
posting
again. Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the
trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. It's a Loomis rod with a Ross
reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. If hear of it being found, let me
know.
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

An easy $100 for the finder.

Thanks,

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I did that with a different rod at a different location...I put up a sign my
with phone number and don't you know I got a call in a day or so and got my
rod back?

John

Old August 7th, 2009, 08:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
chas

"John B" wrote:

"chas" wrote in message
I guess I needed to do something really stupid to get myself to start
posting
again. Last Saturday, July 31, I set my rod down next to the car at the
trail
head for the South Fork of the Hoh river. It's a Loomis rod with a Ross
reel,
my favorite medium duty rod and reel. If hear of it being found, let me
know.
I'll reserve the rest of the details for anyone who has the rod.

An easy $100 for the finder.

Thanks,

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I did that with a different rod at a different location...I put up a sign my
with phone number and don't you know I got a call in a day or so and got my
rod back?

John

I drove a hundred miles back to the trailhead and left just such a note. I
hope my luck is as good as yours.

Old August 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
chas

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your usual helpful comment, I toyed with the idea of not responding,
but I just had to explain why it's actually a good idea to withhold some info.

Imagine that someone, you for example, sees my lost rod post, and sees a found
rod post somewhere I haven't managed to look. You call the finder, give them
the details I've posted and tell them to send it to Chas Wade at your address.
Now the rod that almost made it home is lost for sure.

Just because you can't think of the reason someone does something doesn't mean
it's a stupid thing to do.