Catch & Release

Old August 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Default Catch & Release

Henry Hefner wrote:

I watched it today, and you have misrepresented what happened. President
Bush did say that the first dink went to the dog to play with, ...

You know it's time for a serious change when the president of the United States
actually mutters the infantile, instantly infamous line, "Our enemies are
innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new
ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we," just after
finishing phonetically spelling out his name, in his favoritest red crayon, on
yet another budget-reaming $417 billion defense-spending bill.

And you know it's time for a change when not a single one of the rigid and
spiritually curdled military yes men standing around the ceremonial signing
table, those sad automatons with their wooden smiles and stiff spines and
bone-dry souls, not one broke into a hysterical bout of sad, suicidal laughter,
followed by uncontrolled wailing and the rending of flesh and the muttering of
oh my freaking God what the hell is this man doing as leader of the free world.

You know it's time for a change when you hear that Kerry and Edwards both wrote
their own riveting, galvanizing acceptance speeches at the Democratic National
Convention, heartfelt and effective rhetoric that gives you hope not for the
quality of polished oratory but for genuine, refreshing political intellect, and
verbal acumen, as you offer deep thanks that at least some politicians can still
speak coherently and cogently without mangling the goddamn language at every
adjectival clause.

Whereas you just know Dubya isn't capable of writing a single word of his own
speeches, and will employ entire squadrons of lackeys to do it for him at the
RNC, and will regardless still insist on mispronouncing "nukuler" and "'Murka"
and "terrist" and "gin bender at Yale," and will doubtlessly say something like,
"We must stamp out evil in all its forms because evil wants to do evil things to
us and evil don't know the depths of its own, uh, evilnesses. Praise Jesus."

There are signs and indicators. There are feelings and intuitions. There is that
undeniable tang in the air, that clenching of the cultural colon, that cringe in
the collective soul. Something has got to give. A national shakeup is more than
imminent -- it is desperately, urgently needed. And Bush is just about finished.

Don't you feel it? The sensation that the country cannot continue to careen down
this ultraviolent, antihumanitarian path much longer without implosion and
desperation and a massive increase in sedative prescriptions for anyone with an
even slightly intuitive sense of justice and future and long hot sighs of hope?
You're not alone.

You know it's time for a dramatic change when American bookstores and movie
theaters are filled with unprecedented numbers of extraordinarily damning BushCo
exposés and embarrassing tell-all tomes and brutal whistle-blower digests from
all corners of the culture, produced by everyone from disheartened CIA insiders
to ex-generals to respected reporters to former U.S. allies.

From Clarke's "Against All Enemies," Woodward's "Plan of Attack," Suskind's
"The Price of Loyalty," Phillips' "American Dynasty," Dean's "Worse Than
Watergate," Unger's "House of Bush, House of Saud" and "Imperial Hubris," by
'Anonymous,' to "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "Outfoxed" and "The Hunting of the
President." Go ahead, Google any one (or all) of those titles. The list is
endless and stunning in its depth and in the heat of its unanimous BushCo
condemnation.

Hell, it's getting so you can't turn a corner or have a nuanced, humane thought
without confronting another hunk of undeniable proof that what these media
documents say is true: The Bush administration is quite possibly the most
economically destructive, environmentally devastating, ethically corrupt,
internationally loathed, deliberately tyrannical, worst-dressed administration
in American history.

What, too harsh? Hardly.

When the professors and other intellectuals and the artists and the social
workers and the mystics and the truly spiritual among us are appalled and
mournful, and the homophobes and the rednecks and the religious zealots are
cheering and shooting their guns in the sky, this is how you know.

When America has become a global punch line, a petulant and screeching child in
an oversize Texas cowboy hat throwing oily little tantrums on a WMD whim, and
the global community can only sit there, stunned and enraged, as every ally
withdraws all offers of support and overtures of concern for our well-being,
this is how you know.

The activists know it. Angry groups are popping up by the hundreds across the
nation, all working diligently to toss a nice emetic into the Republican
gorge-fest. Some are even going so far as to offer up the ultimate sacrifice:
They will have sex with any Republicans willing to withhold their Bush vote this
election.

It's true. It's funny. It's called

http://www.fthevote.com

What, too extreme? Hey, extreme times call for extreme lubrication.

The watchdogs know it. The usual reaction from most analysts and wonks, most
intellectuals and artists, when faced with another presidential election, is
this: Yawn. After all, such ultra-elitist, top-tier shifts have little effect on
the massive daily political grind, the real meat and potatoes of government,
right? This is the common wisdom. A change in presidents is like changing the
paint on an aircraft carrier: different patina, same damn boat.

Not this time. All those who normally claim that a change in who sits in the
Oval Office means nothing are now all frantically waving their arms and shouting
their protests and joining the resistance. This election is different. This one
matters like never before in history, considering how so many of us
underestimated just how much damage a single president's gnarled, hateful
administration could unleash upon the world in a single term.

This is the new rallying cry. If you care at all about the soul of this country,
if you care at all about women's rights and gay rights and true spiritual
freedom and the environment and our international standing, if you care at all
about actually reducing the anti-U.S. hatred in the world, as opposed to
amplifying it a thousandfold, then oh my god yes, this election matters.

This, then, is how you know it's time for a serious change. When you can feel it
in your bones, when you finally attune and really listen to the underlying
messages and dig deep into your own spirit and discover that no, this isn't the
way the world is supposed to work. This is not the way the country has to be.

This is not the way the world's greatest superpower is supposed to behave, this
bitter metallic taste that leaps into my mouth whenever I see a picture of
BushCo isn't really supposed to be there, the vice president isn't supposed to
make children cry and flowers wilt and the gods recoil in disgust.

And the president isn't supposed to mangle the language and induce multiple wars
and invite international derision and make so many millions of us ashamed to be
Americans. It's time for a serious change. This is how you know.
-Mark Morford

Old August 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Eric Dreher wrote:
Rodney . wrote:
I'm sorry, but that kind of garbage, is not what we as sportsmen need in
office,, if he [Kerry] gets elected, plan on seeing us losing
more rights.

Bingo. ...

Day in the Life of Joe, Middle-Class Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of
good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality
standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His
medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety
and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan
because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical
insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and
eggs this day. Joe’s bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for
laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly
labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some
liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how
much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air
he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop
industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his
government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking
and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public
transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medicals
benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union
members fought and died for these working standards. Joe’s employer pays
these standards because Joe’s employer doesn’t want his employees to call
the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he’ll get a worker
compensation or unemployment check because some liberal didn’t think he
should loose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

Its noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills.
Joe’s deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted
to protect Joe’s money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking
system before the depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten Mortgage and his below market
federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the
government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over
his life-time.

Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm
home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dad's; his car is
among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety
standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live
in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn’t
want to make rural loans. The house didn’t have electric until some big
government liberal stuck his nose where it didn’t belong and demanded rural
electrification. (Those rural Republican’s would still be sitting in the
dark)

He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security
and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of
himself so Joe wouldn’t have to. After his visit with dad he gets back in his
car for the ride home.

He turns on a radio talk show, the host’s keeps saying that liberals are bad
and conservatives are good. (He doesn’t tell Joe that his beloved Republicans
have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day)
Joe agrees, “We don’t need those big government liberals ruining our lives;
after all, I’m a self made man who believes everyone should take care of
themselves, just like I have”.

By John Gray Cincinnati, Ohio

Old August 13th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Rodney

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Henry Hefner wrote:

You know it's time for a change when you hear that Kerry and Edwards
both wrote their own riveting, galvanizing acceptance speeches at the
Democratic National Convention, heartfelt and effective rhetoric that
gives you hope not for the quality of polished oratory but for genuine,
refreshing political intellect, and verbal acumen, as you offer deep
thanks that at least some politicians can still speak coherently and
cogently without mangling the goddamn language at every adjectival clause.

Words are cheap,, actions speak, and Kerry's actions to date, is not
where I , or anyone who has any brains, wants this country to go.

Your saying let's vote for the one that can "lie" with the best words.
ROTFLMAO

Man Use your brains, look at actions, not words, as these guys will say
ANYTHING to get elected, Do you even know Kerry's voting record ?

Hell No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THE DEMOCRATS HAD A DECENT CANDIDATE, I might even vote for him,, but
is this is the best ya'll can do, you need to start all over again.

THIS GUY IS 100% FOR MORE GOVERNMENT, MORE LAWS, MORE TAXES, killing the
unborn, gun control, and nationalized health care,

He is a WIMP, he got out of his combat service when he got a couple of
scratches, then to add insult to injury he actively protested the
government, and the military during a time of war.

Every enemy of the US wants him elected

With Bush you know what your getting,, no he's not a slick talking
politician, but you get someone who believes in this country, and takes
action to protect it,, Must be working, as nothing has happened since
9/11, and he even bass fishes when the cameras are not on him.

You want to keep your ability/rights to fish,, don't vote for Kerry.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old August 13th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Rodney

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Eric Dreher wrote:

Rodney . wrote:

I'm sorry, but that kind of garbage, is not what we as sportsmen need
in office,, if he [Kerry] gets elected, plan on seeing us losing
more rights.

Bingo. ...

Day in the Life of Joe, Middle-Class Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot
full of
good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water
quality
standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of
coffee. His
medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their
safety
and work as advertised.

ROTFLMAO

YEp that's a liberal,, they take credit for everything !!!!!!!!!!

You don't think any republicans voted and supported any of this ??????.
or even started some of these ?

I know we would all be dead if it were not for the liberals, and the
government protecting us from ourselves, and taking 50 % of our money
and spending it for us, because they know better than we do what's good
for us

Their regulations have driven 90% of the high paying manufacturing jobs
from the shores of this country. Doubled the price of automobiles, and
made health care 20 times what it should be, and who pays for it all ?

WE do, not the government, not big business, we pay for it all, in the
prices we pay for goods and services, the taxes, and what we don't get
in our checks

Those programs that our employers "pay" for, all come from "our"
salaries, again taking "our" money, and making the decisions on how to
spend it for us

Man what a total bunch of brain washing propaganda you posted there,, I
would bet it is an official document from the democratic party.

Old August 13th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Rodney wrote:
snip
Man what a total bunch of brain washing propaganda you posted there,, I
would bet it is an official document from the democratic party.

Well, unless you're making $1.2 million a year, you vote about as
smart as you bet. If you do make over $1.2 million a year you are
voting your short-term self-interest and not the long-term interests
of the United States of America. If you don't make $1.2 million a
year then bend over and grab your ankles Rodney, 'cause BushCo is
gonna ream your rectum but good, I hope you have some KY jelly.

--
Ken Fortenberry