TR Land of Sky Blue Waters

Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

Default TR Land of Sky Blue Waters

wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:36:14 -0700 (PDT), "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

I have never seen a lab w/a life vest on.......

I saw Ken's answer, and in small, shallow inland water, it might seem
unnecessary, but on bluewater, at a large marina and other areas, it can
be dangerous for _any_ dog not to be in a floatation device.

the infamous "pamlico jim" roberts used to train his hunting labs for
field trials, and they were wonders to see. we were hunting ducks on the
long shoal river with his very best, named "smoke", on a bad ass winter
morning, when jim knocked out a scaup from a passing flight. the bird
wasn't hurt very badly, and began swimming away from shore at a good pace.
he sent smoke after him, and the two began one helluva dance, moving in and
out of the water, further and further away from us. smoke wouldn't respond
to pj's whistle and calls.
they finally became dots on the water, hundreds of yards away; jim,
without a word, broke into a run across the marsh, headed for our boat. he
jumped in, and took off to rescue the dog. the effort was happily
successful, but no amount of scolding kept that determined lab from his
goal. allowed to continue, he would, no doubt, have drowned in pursuit of
that damned bluebill.
and, being forty's dog, i am certain the pup in question is just as hard
headed as ol' smoke, and could use a little help, from time to time.

yfitons
wayno

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Wayne Harrison wrote:
and, being forty's dog, i am certain the pup in question is just as hard
headed as ol' smoke, and could use a little help, from time to time.

When Kaylin was 10 weeks old she jumped off the top of a 3 foot
wall into a retaining pond. I was flabbergasted. She is one
seriously fearless puppy when it comes to water.

She's used to her flotation vest now and doesn't even appear to
know she's wearing it. The one in those pics is the puppy model,
she'll eventually grow into Kipper's old vest.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:44:36 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
We put all our canoe practice to the test. I took Kaylin
up to the Northwoods for a day of paddling and fishing.
Well, mostly paddling, with a puppy in the boat you don't
really get to do a whole lot of fishing. ;-)

Here's some pics and Louie and Timmmmmay should be pleased
to note that my bony knees are nowhere to be seen. ;-)

http://flickr.com/photos/ken_fortenb...7606879753159/

The hound looks pretty calm. Last time I brought my vicious 16lb
terror with me, he tried valiently to defend the canoe against all
those fish I was bringing in.
Sounds (and looks), like a great day.

She's starting to be OK with canoe riding. She'd rather be
swimming of course but the more we practice it the better
she gets. Starting her training with the canoe on dry land
was key.

It was a gorgeous day in the Northwoods. Unfortunately they've
had too many gorgeous days this summer and not nearly enough
rain. You know it's a hard case when I can show up and not
bring rain. ;-)

Yep, its amazing how fast things turn around. While they still have
good stream flows in southern Wisconsin from the floods in June, the
whole region is getting dryer by the day. Stream levelas are at near
record lows for us northern Cheeseheads.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wi/nwis/rt/

Neat pics, BTW.

Geo. C.