World record???

Old February 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default World record???

This morning I was watching a fly fishing show on cable and a guy named Don
Butler said he caught a fish on dry flies every month for 83 consecutive
months. Shouldn't that be in the Guiness book of world records? He said he
did it on the Farmington river in Conn. Anybody here do better than that?

Ed

Old February 19th, 2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ed Gildone wrote:
This morning I was watching a fly fishing show on cable and a guy named Don
Butler said he caught a fish on dry flies every month for 83 consecutive
months.

That is one stupid fish. :-)

Old February 19th, 2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Don Butler is a fly shop employee and guide who can, if he wishes, be
on the water every day. There are hatches in the winter on the
Farmington that are fishable, so while difficult, given his situation,
the feat is far from impossible.

Did I ever do it? Hell no! Due to contraints like work, and my aversion
to fish in very cold temperastures, I've never come close to even
fishing 83 months in a row, much less catch fish on a dry each month.
Back in the early eighties, when we had a very warm winter, I did catch
fish every month of the year (1983 IIRC), but they were not all caught
on dries.

Old February 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

George Adams wrote:
Don Butler is a fly shop employee and guide who can, if he wishes, be
on the water every day. There are hatches in the winter on the
Farmington that are fishable, so while difficult, given his situation,
the feat is far from impossible.

Did I ever do it? Hell no! Due to contraints like work, and my aversion
to fish in very cold temperastures, I've never come close to even
fishing 83 months in a row, much less catch fish on a dry each month.
Back in the early eighties, when we had a very warm winter, I did catch
fish every month of the year (1983 IIRC), but they were not all caught
on dries.

I can imagine what kind of frame of mind this guy was in on the last day
of his 84th month. :-)

Old February 19th, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Ed Gildone" wrote in message
This morning I was watching a fly fishing show on cable and a guy named
Don Butler said he caught a fish on dry flies every month for 83
consecutive months. Shouldn't that be in the Guiness book of world
records? He said he did it on the Farmington river in Conn. Anybody here
do better than that?

Hey, I met that guy! Thats the fly shop where Stan, Tim, Gary and I met up
for one of my first roffian encounters. I was suprised at his claim, and
asked him about it. He said that he fished a few times in the winter months
merely to 'get his fish' to keep the streak going, and some of those fish
were rather small. However, it sounds like a legit claim, and encouraging
for us dry fly fishermen...

--riverman

Old February 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

****, I've caught a fish on a pheasant tail every month for the last
decade at least! No big deal (G). bh

Old February 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ed Gildone wrote:
This morning I was watching a fly fishing show on cable and a guy named
Don Butler said he caught a fish on dry flies every month for 83
consecutive months.

That is one stupid fish. :-)

That was good rw!
-tom