Seychelles

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Seychelles

"sandypittendrigh" wrote

Only a man who hasn't been there would say this, I think.

The sunburn in the islands is no worse than Montana's in July.
And a day on the flats--by yourself, wandering coral heads
and mangrove swamps--is a magical experience. There's always
a tinge of fear and caution too. What is knee deep now
might be waist deep at dusk. And you sure do not want to
be wading waste deep water in the dark. Bonefish, jacks,
barracuda and snappers are all fair game on a flyrod.

Evenings in the islands are hard to beat too: fire-roasted chicken,
fresh conch salad, smokes and Kalick with the guides, island music,
fresh limes right off the tree mixed with Haitian rum.
I ainever had that in West Yellowstone.
And I never ever caught a fish in Montana that spun the reel so
fast it would break your fingers.

I have to admit, you make it sound pretty good G

good to 'see ya' Sandy

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
sandypittendrigh

On May 6, 2:43*pm, sandypittendrigh
wrote:
Evenings in the islands are hard to beat too:

Bonefish lodges tend to be god-awful places: magnets for self-
important type-A jerks.
The real trick is to find a room to rent, conch bars to eat at
and independent guides work with (at least until you're ready
to go out on your own).

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
* Evenings in the islands are hard to beat too:

Bonefish lodges tend to be god-awful places: magnets for self-
important type-A jerks.
The real trick is to find a room to rent, *conch bars to eat at
and independent guides work with (at least until you're ready
to go out on your own).

You're dead right about that. On the only full service guided bonefish
trip I've ever done (Christmas Island ten years ago) I ran into a
couple of real A-holes. But I also met some very nice people. Not all
rich people are jerks.

This Alphonse Island thing is a whole new level of price and luxury
for me. I fully expect to run into some snobbish Englishmen wearing
funny hats, and I'll be a little disappointed if I don't.

DIY sal****er trips are very challenging. It's hard to find a place
where you don't need both a boat and a guide. On the other hand, when
you are successful on your own the feeling of satisfaction is that
much greater. That was the kind of trip Willi and I had in the
Bahamas.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

DIY sal****er trips are very challenging. It's hard to find a place
where you don't need both a boat and a guide.

that is one reason, I didn't mention, that I haven't pursued it more, even
at the daydream level

I don't think I'd be comfortable fishing with a guide ... I've never tried
.... It's not that I have anything 'ethically' against the idea, or
that I couldn't find the money if I raised the priority level .. it's that

well, I've often thought of it as kinda like hiring someone to watch you
make love and throw in the occasional suggestion .... I can see how it might
speed learning and success, ... but, there are just things I prefer to learn
more privately G

Larry L ( who, maybe, has too personal a relationship with his fish ?? :-)

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 5, 11:24*am, wrote:

As to fishing v. catching, if I want to catch, I can do that easily and the only
time I am interested in doing so is to catch eating fish (generally in salt
water, but "brim"/bream/panfish are nice, as is an occasional trout, etc.). *If
I'm going "fishing," I'm really going socializing, drinking, bull****ting,
eating, etc., and oh, yeah, I might catch a fish or three...might not, too...

So, if I read this right, you're saying that "fishing" is "going
socializing, drinking, bull****ting, eating, etc." and you really
don't care much if you "catch" any fish.

You're not a fisherman. Everyone knows it, so stop pretending. I don't
know what you're even doing here.

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 7 May 2009 03:48:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 5, 11:24*am, wrote:

As to fishing v. catching, if I want to catch, I can do that easily and the only
time I am interested in doing so is to catch eating fish (generally in salt
water, but "brim"/bream/panfish are nice, as is an occasional trout, etc.). *If
I'm going "fishing," I'm really going socializing, drinking, bull****ting,
eating, etc., and oh, yeah, I might catch a fish or three...might not, too...

So, if I read this right, you're saying that "fishing" is "going
socializing, drinking, bull****ting, eating, etc." and you really
don't care much if you "catch" any fish.

****ing amazing...you managed to read it right...that's exactly what I'm
saying...

You're not a fisherman.

Uh-huh. Give me, at most, a coupla-few hours scouting time on _any_ water on
earth, especially whatever water(s) you think yourself to be an expert, and I'd
be able to out-catch you using your own tackle. And on a tangentially-related
note, I'd say you are the one who isn't "a fisherman," you're nothing more than
a wannabe...just as in the whole of your life...

Everyone knows it,

Wow - everyone, huh? Geez, I had no idea that entire villages in China, or even
everyone in Hurley, MS, knew or cared...I'm touched...BTW, next time you are
polling them all on something, could ask them to send a single coin of their
local currency to St. Jude's for me? TIA!

so stop pretending.

Pretending what?

I don't know

Now, see, you shoulda just kept it simple...stupid...

what you're even doing here.

Right now, I'm annoying you - which, I must admit, is occasionally amusing...

Hee-hee-hee,
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 07 May 2009 06:02:44 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

snip
You're not a fisherman. Everyone knows it, so stop pretending. I don't
know what you're even doing here.

That's Barnard, ever the ****in' putz.

Aw, he's so cute when he gets all Hemmingweigh and Ketchum, Jr....he probably
just hasn't been up his own lil' Brokeback Mountain in his own private Idaho in
a while...

HTH,
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 7, 5:10*am, wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2009 06:02:44 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

snip
You're not a fisherman. Everyone knows it, so stop pretending. I don't
know what you're even doing here.

That's Barnard, ever the ****in' putz.

Aw, he's so cute when he gets all Hemmingweigh and Ketchum, Jr....he probably
just hasn't been up his own lil' Brokeback Mountain in his own private Idaho in
a while...

HTH,

So now you and Fortenberry are getting all kissy kissy. ****ing
hilarious.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 7 May 2009 05:24:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 7, 5:10*am, wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2009 06:02:44 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

snip
You're not a fisherman. Everyone knows it, so stop pretending. I don't
know what you're even doing here.

That's Barnard, ever the ****in' putz.

Aw, he's so cute when he gets all Hemmingweigh and Ketchum, Jr....he probably
just hasn't been up his own lil' Brokeback Mountain in his own private Idaho in
a while...

HTH,

So now you and Fortenberry are getting all kissy kissy. ****ing
hilarious.

Now, now, don't get too excited about..oh, wait - two guys "getting all kissy
kissy" - aw, what do I care? Go ahead, pleasure yourself...just remember,
Priscilla, I didn't ask, so please don't tell...

You're welcome,