Asheville Info, Por Favor

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

Default Asheville Info, Por Favor

First off, thanks to those who suggested places for a pre-spawn vacation.
The Planning Committee decided on the Grove Park Inn (suggested, I believe,
by the estimable Mr. Fortenberry -- thanks). We're leaving the 31st of May
and staying for 4 or 5 days.

Now the important part:

Looking for some local info -- fishing primarily, but also dinner places and
shopping ideas.

I'll be able to fish two or three days and am willing to drive/hike a bit if
that helps. Not looking for anything too remote (for this trip, anyway), but
would like to keep two-legged interaction to a minimum whilst I pick my fly
out of the trees. (keeps the embarrassment level to a minimum)

Gear suggestions? I'd imagine my short 3wt would be ideal here. (?) Likely
bugs?

Thanks,
Dan

Old May 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Daniel-San wrote:
First off, thanks to those who suggested places for a pre-spawn vacation.
The Planning Committee decided on the Grove Park Inn (suggested, I believe,
by the estimable Mr. Fortenberry -- thanks). We're leaving the 31st of May
and staying for 4 or 5 days.

Now the important part:

Looking for some local info -- fishing primarily, but also dinner places and
shopping ideas. ...

Asheville has an excellent fly shop. Go to Hunter Banks and buy $10
worth of flies, tell them what you're looking for, ie small mountain
streams with wild brookies, and you'll get $100 worth of good advice
that's timely, relevant and spot on.

http://www.hunterbanks.com/

Basically you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway head south, pull off
and park almost anywhere and find a trout stream a short hike away.
I've fished in the Middle Prong Wilderness and it's just beautiful
small mountain stream fishing. The web site NC Wildlife has trout
stream maps: http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_03_fishing.htm
Click on Maps then scroll down to Trout Fishing Maps. Asheville is
in Buncombe county and the Middle Prong is in Haywood County. Just
pick the blue ones and you can't hardly go wrong.

I'll be able to fish two or three days and am willing to drive/hike a bit if
that helps. Not looking for anything too remote (for this trip, anyway), but
would like to keep two-legged interaction to a minimum whilst I pick my fly
out of the trees. (keeps the embarrassment level to a minimum)

Gear suggestions? I'd imagine my short 3wt would be ideal here. (?) Likely
bugs?

The 3 wt is perfect. You're not going to find much solitude close to
Asheville on the weekends so try to get out during the week. Likely bugs
are March Browns and BWOs but ask at the fly shop.

Have fun.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

"Daniel-San" (Rot13) wrote in message
[...]

Dan:

Long time lurker, occassional poster, but I know the area.

You have gotten good advice on the hotel and the fly shop, both are first
rate. HB will give out some good advice. They will also take you for a
float trip on the South Holston or the Watauga, both worth the cost of the
trip. If you are staying at the GPI it can't scare you TOO bad.

Also, check out the Davidson River and the Davidson River Outfitters
(http://www.davidsonflyfishing.com/). They are right in Brevard (about
30-40 minutes from the GPI) The Davidson is very accessible, C&R, and as
such can be very frustrating. Try #22 red midges right at the hatchery (yes
right at the hatchery). The water there is full of big fish, and even more
fisherman. Go there on a weekday. The DRO guys used to have a lease on
some private areas of the river that they managed that again is accessible
and wasn't too bad in terms of cost, but I have not been there in a couple
of years. They used to let you on without a guide.

There are several other creeks that are pretty accessible as well, Mills
River for one. Stockers, but pretty any way. Look at the maps section of
the Hunter Banks web site and you can download some maps showing the local
waters.

As far as eating, try the Marketplace on Wall St for nice dinner and the
Early Girl Eatery for fun, southern cooking.

Shopping must be fun because the boss always manages to spend some moola
there. Try the big shoe store, Topps, I think, and the Old North State
Clothing store. Be prepared to be shocked, no clothes made in China, you
can tell by the prices. On the other hand, you can buy a shirt that will
last for several season. Have fun, Asheville is a great place to visit.

Patrick

Old May 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

PRM wrote:
[...]

i agree with much of what has been said, though my preferences are
different. the grove park is a 5 star resort. it has grown from its
original stone structure into a huge resort/convention hotel, but still
a very pleasant experience...though a bit "california" to me. it has
excellent restaurants. you'll find great food at each of them, though
pricey for a southern boy. if you can get a reservation on the terrace
of the original structure, give it a go. very nice. still...it's an
"international resort", so don't expect a true southern experience. for
that, you'll need to travel away from asheville a bit. asheville is big
city in nc, but lots of fascinating architecture and art. visit the
biltmore house if you get a chance...everyone should see robber baron
wealth museums.

lots of fishable water around asheville. ken and patrick offer good
suggestions... the most pleasant waters aren't easy to locate on your
own. still, you should find plenty to satisfy. our fish are small in
comparison to those you may be accustomed to. the only big fish you'll
find will be in stocked waters...for example, the north mills over near
the airport - it's in a national forest/campground setting, and easy
fishing good for a quick fix. the davidson near brevard is a popular
spot (as in extolled in publications and often crowded)... i hear good
things about courthouse creek. but, if you have a day, travel 60 minutes
west to bryson city, locate noland creek just above the "city", up near
the road to nowhere, walk 20 minutes on the trail by the creek, and
proceed to catchin'. noland is one of the easily accessed smoky mt park
streams, has an easy walking trail, and is a pretty mountain stream.
holds rainbows mainly. way up, it has brookies. our brookies are ice
age natives...small, but gorgeous. you'll need to hike to higher
elevations, remote spots to catch them. there's nothing finer in carolina.

hope you and your wife enjoy your time in asheville...

jeff
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San[_2_]

Default Ken, Patrick, and jeff...

"I" wrote...

Looking for some local info -- fishing primarily, but also dinner places
and shopping ideas.

Thanks much for the information. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Dan