TR. Root

Old April 11th, 2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

Default TR. Root

Fished the Root March 28th - 31st.

Although high, the clarity was very good. In past years with the flows
around 1000 cfs. the river was pretty much blown. The fish were eager to
take dry's the entire time, however the best window of opportunity was from
about 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. We normally started our float between noon and
1:00 PM each day and took out just before dark..

The weather turned out to be pretty awesome considering the forecast when we
left for the Root. One day I was able to fish in a short sleeve t-shirt and
other days required a fleece pullover. No rain or snow (both forecasted with
40 - 60% chance of precipitation) on the entire trip.

Whirling disease has definitely taken it's toll on the Rainbow population,
and I don't think the Browns had woke up yet. Either that or the Cutthroat
were quicker on the draw, we only caught one Rainbow and one Brown the
entire trip. Normally we would take way more Rainbow that anything else.
Nothing huge on the trip, the best boated fish was in the 18 - 19 inch
range,
although we did have a couple brutes bust us off after short runs.

Stayed at the Wilderness for the first time, (Rm. #2) decent place for three
guys max, with a small kitchenette adequate for cooking up whatever you
wanted.
Normal size stove, refrig., with microwave, coffee pot and TV. Decent place
for the price.

All in all the trip was a success, cabin fever has subsided and summer is
just around the corner.

Few pics on abpf.

Sure felt good to get on the water,
JT

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

JT wrote:
Fished the Root March 28th - 31st.
..... etc.

I have no idea where the Root is and I can't get abpf, but it
seems a shame to let a TR get lost in the sea of blather without
a response of some sort.

- JR

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JR" wrote

I have no idea where the Root is and I can't get abpf, but it
seems a shame to let a TR get lost in the sea of blather without
a response of some sort.

Yes, thank you for the TR ...

The Bitterroot is one river still on my "wanna" list. Is it mainly just
a floating river because of access problems? or is walk-in wade access
reasonably available?

I have two WaterMaster rafts ( made in Missoula ) and can and do float
various rivers. However, I far prefer fairly extended visits to rivers
and taking the time to get to know them reasonably well. Over the period
of a couple weeks $30/ day for shuttle adds up so I try to avoid floats more
than occasionally, plus I prefer wade fishing. Maybe you could provide
clues on good places to park my travel trailer ( hook ups not needed ) for a
couple weeks as a base for exploring?

From my reading the Hamilton and down sections seem most to
my taste ... slower water, side channels. My nature is such that learning
the in and outs of a few hundred yards of "my kinda" water can keep me busy
for a couple weeks and happier than drifting miles of river.

Old April 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Larry L wrote:
"JR" wrote
I have no idea where the Root is and I can't get abpf, but it
seems a shame to let a TR get lost in the sea of blather without
a response of some sort.

Yes, thank you for the TR ...

The Bitterroot is one river still on my "wanna" list.

Ah, well, OK, then. Why didn't he just *say* so?

Can put it in context now. I fished the Bitterroot once, in
1989, I think. Got skunked, but it was beautiful water.

Here in Oregon folks have a habit among themselves of talking
about Chic, the Big D, the Mac, the Met, the Clack, the Cal....
Should have realized others do the same.

- JR

Old April 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"JR" wrote in message
Got skunked, but it was beautiful water.

I could sum up most of my TRs with that one sentence. :-)

Joe F.

Old April 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rb608" wrote

I could sum up most of my TRs with that one sentence. :-)

I went out yesterday and got skunked or damn close. Same section of river,
same tactics, same rod, same flies, same strike indicator etc etc as a week
or so ago when I hooked about 20 in two hours. The weather was different,
yesterday was rainy ... but I'd "think" that would be better than sunny !!??

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message

Yes, thank you for the TR ...

You bet...

The Bitterroot is one river still on my "wanna" list. Is it mainly
just
a floating river because of access problems? or is walk-in wade access
reasonably available?

For the most part I have only float fished the river. I have seen a few
people
wade fishing, however I believe it's limited due to private property. The
West Fork
has wade access that I have fished. You could easily spend a couple days up
their.

I have two WaterMaster rafts ( made in Missoula ) and can and do float
various rivers. However, I far prefer fairly extended visits to
rivers
and taking the time to get to know them reasonably well. Over the
period
of a couple weeks $30/ day for shuttle adds up so I try to avoid floats
more
than occasionally, plus I prefer wade fishing. Maybe you could provide
clues on good places to park my travel trailer ( hook ups not needed ) for
couple weeks as a base for exploring?

I don't think you would have any problems in your WaterMaster rafts from
Darby to Florence. There are two diversions from Wally Crawford to
Anglers Roost. Found this out the hard way about 10 years ago when I
first floated the Bitterroot, we were in a hard bottom boat.
I received bad information. Soft bottom boats or rafts should not be an
issue.
My buddy has fished most of the sections in a belly boat.

If you stop into the River Otter Fly shop (Florence), Chris can set you up
with a shuttle, they are
$22.00 a day. I also have another guy that I have never used, if you head
that
way, I can forward that info to you. I know what you mean about shuttles
adding up.

There is a very nice camp ground between Florence and Stevensville, it was
once called
Charles Waters, now Bass Creek.

From my reading the Hamilton and down sections seem most to
my taste ... slower water, side channels. My nature is such that
learning
the in and outs of a few hundred yards of "my kinda" water can keep me
busy
for a couple weeks and happier than drifting miles of river.

That is correct. Look for foam and heads popping...

If I can answer anymore questions, feel free.

JT

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"JR" wrote in message
Larry L wrote:
"JR" wrote
I have no idea where the Root is and I can't get abpf, but it
seems a shame to let a TR get lost in the sea of blather without
a response of some sort.

Ah, well, OK, then. Why didn't he just *say* so?

It's the Rootie toot toot! I'm so used to calling it the Root, I didn't
think about it...

My bad,
JT