product ideas

Old May 27th, 2004, 11:07 PM
iarocu

Default product ideas

Please point to the law / section of the Highway Code that outlaws
'undertaking'.

Highway Code paragraph 139
"only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to
turn right, and there is room to do so
stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left
give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as
you would a car when overtaking(see Rules 188, 189 and 191"

So unless in slow moving queues or undertaking a vehicle indicating a
right turn the highway code says don't do it. These rules are advisory
however in if an accident was caused by a driver ignoring them he
could be charged with
driving without due care and attention
Iain
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Richard Porter

On 26 May 2004 "Brendan Murray" wrote:

Apart from the fact that overtaking on the inside has been identified as
being a major cause of motorway accidents as well as being an offence.

If you drive a motor vehicle you should be familiar with the Highway
Code which distinguishes between the requirements of the law and its
own recommendations. Go out and buy the new 2004 edition and read it.
If you use the roads in any other capacity still read it.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Gawnsoft

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:22:31 +0100, "Chris" wrote
(more or less):

I am in the final year of a technology education degree course, part of
which involves designing a product and manufacturing it to prototype stage.
The product has to be original, or better designed, than any similar product
on the market. I am posting this message to a number of newsgroups in the
hope that someone will have a problem with a product they use, or can't find
a product to suit their requirements in the market place. I would appreciate
any (sensible) suggestions.

A combo speed sensor, distance sensor, and illuminating sign saying
"You're driving too close!". (new item)

Or a digicam that you can hit the button on, that then stores the last
30-45 seconds of whatever it's seen. (Currently available at about
$400 US)

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Jim Warren

Nathaniel Porter wrote in message

Why not just have a switch to flash a light or something? You don't type

out
a message for "I intend to turn left ahead" do you ;-)

Then there's a question of timing. A surprising number of people flash a
light to signal "I have just turned left"

Jim

Old May 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Jamie

In article , Matzi
writes
This is true. Over taking on inside was part of an offence of dangerous
driving I had to write a report on.
We don't have fast lanes..we have over taking lanes..if your not over
taking..get over to the left : )

In what language do you write these reports?

--
Jamie
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM
MikeB

These rules are advisory
however in if an accident was caused by a driver ignoring them he
could be charged with
driving without due care and attention
Iain

A lot of things that most people think are law are in fact advisory, what it
says in the Highway Code is often advisory, not law. For example there is
actually no law that says you have to drive on the left, the Highway Code
advises you to do so! However if you are not driving on the left and have
an accident as a result, it would not make much of a defence when prosecuted
for dangerous driving.

MikeB

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Pete White

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:44:59 +0100, "Pete White"
wrote in message
:

While we're on the subject, can you recommend a decent freeware email
program

For Newsgroups, Gravity and Free Agent are both known to be good. For
email I use PocoMail (which I paid for, but a trivial sum); other
contenders include Eudora and the mail component of Mozilla (which of
course also does news). Others will have more recommendations (count
on it!), I use Agent and PocoMail, both paid for and both worth every
penny IMO.

Before you tell me that MS programs are rubbish (or ****e, or wank, or

any
other expression) I'd just like to defend Microsoft on the grounds that

they
make the best games console.

If only they wouldn't pretend to be an enterprise software company and
concentrate on the toys, I think we'd all be a lot happier (apart from
the antivirus firms).

I'll put up with XP, IE6 and OE just because
Halo is fantastic and PGR2 is wonderful.

Opera is better than IE by an order of magnitude, IMO.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Thanks Guy; as always, you are a star.

Find a New Way Of Life At Marillion.com

Pete W.

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Del

"Matzi" wrote in message
How about something attached to car tyres which flash when tyre under
inflated? i visual sign so oyu don't have to get mucky and oily trying to
work thoses difficult tyre check things..they never seem the right way

round
for me..maybe cos i'm left handed?

already available -there is an attachment that replaces the valve cap that
does just that you just need to check it visually try ebay theres usually
one or two about
Derek

---

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Del

Please point to the law / section of the Highway Code that outlaws
'undertaking'.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.shtml#227

Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe to do so.
Overtake only on the right. You should
check your mirrors
take time to judge the speeds correctly
make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and
behind
take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position
of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check your
mirrors carefully. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then
move out
ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to
judge speed and distance.
and :- http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/15.shtml#138

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on
your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
hope that covers It
Derek

---

Old May 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Matzi

lol
not telling....i'll start getting hate email!! ; )

"SteveH" wrote in message
Matzi wrote:

Just as a pint of professional interst..you find you ride/drive diff

when
your in a car to when your on a bike? and if so..how? sorry off post

subject
lol just intersted.

I think I need to know what your 'professional interest' is before I
admit to anything ;-)

To be honest, it all depends on how I feel on the day. I'll quite
happily potter along at 50mph in NSLs with ClassicFM playing, but other
days I'll be just a little more 'enthusiastic'.

I have, however, found that the more I ride my bike, the more I drive
like a biker - if that makes any sense.

I haven't tried to filter in the car yet, but I do find myself
overtaking where most other car drivers haven't spotted the opportunity
- it's all to do with the road positioning, something you get very good
at when you ride a bike.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL