Peace Treaty?

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

Default Peace Treaty?

I've been coming to this message board for about a year now. This is
my first year of fly fishing. Many of the people have been really
helpful, either directly, or I have searched the archives to get
answers. I know there's a lot of bickering that go on between folks &
name-calling. But I couldn't help but notice that folks on both sides
of these arguments have been helpful to me over the year. One person,
Mike C. even sent me a used fly reel to try out (sent it all the way
from Germany) with some extra spools of lines so I could experiment &
learn some new things. I have children and am on a tight budget so it
just wouldn't have been possible for me to go out and buy this stuff &
he had an extra reel he wasn't using so he sent it to me. No cost.
Just being a nice guy. And I've met several through this group (and
have enjoyed some very nice private email from the folks here).

I wondered if it would ever be possible for folks to just "agree to
disagree" more on this board? I know there will be daily
disagreements over stuff. You find that on most every message board.
But it would be neat if folks could keep disagreements from getting so
escalated that it detracts from the great fishing content and advice
here.

Just an observation and thought from a "new guy" who doesn't know
squat about fly fishing, but loves having a place to learn more from
good people here.

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Sep 20, 11:20 am, mdk77 wrote:
[...]

Teh subject line of your post should be "OT" Peace treaty, what a
meathead!

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

On Sep 20, 1:30 pm, BJ Conner wrote:
On Sep 20, 11:20 am, mdk77 wrote:

[...]

Sorry. I'm still learning message board etiquette. You're right, I
should have posted that with the "OT".

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

mdk77 wrote:
snip
I wondered if it would ever be possible for folks to just "agree to
disagree" more on this board? I know there will be daily
disagreements over stuff. You find that on most every message board.
But it would be neat if folks could keep disagreements from getting so
escalated that it detracts from the great fishing content and advice
here. ...

No, it's not really possible. Any disagreement, no matter how
politely voiced, will always be seen as a "personal attack" by
His Loony Mikeness, and when His Loony Mikeness decides he's
been the target of a personal attack, whether he has or not, he
goes on a psycho posting frenzy. So long as His Loony Mikeness
posts to roff everyone must agree that His Loony Mikeness is the
world's foremost authority on all things fly fishing and any
other opinion is a personal attack against His Loony Mikeness.
It's been this way for years around here. Get used to it.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

On Sep 20, 1:50 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
mdk77 wrote:
snip
[...]

You're probably right. But I figure it takes two to argue. If one
person disagrees, and states why he disagrees -- and then refuses to
go on-and-on, then the disagreement ends there. Folks can read the
thread (and both opinions) and decide what to do with the
information. Sometimes I just try some of the things suggested. Like
that "shooting head" suggestion (man, I won't even mention ANY names
of who-said-what-to-whom on that thread), but I just tried it out
myself to see what worked for me. It didn't matter to me as far as
who "liked the idea" and who "didn't like the idea"....I figured I'd
just try it myself, and "for me" it worked fine. It was a nice, low-
cost solution to help me fish under certain conditions. But it wasn't
a big deal like "who was smarter" and "who was wrong". Both sides had
great input (when you cut through all of the animosity that went back
and forth).

In the end this forum is best for getting information to fishermen.
Not about who is right or wrong. And hey, we ALL get steamed and blow
our cork on some issues. So I understand there are times, hey, people
are going to argue. It just detracts from the forum here. It
wouldn't hurt any of us to calm down a bit more. Just my 2-cents
worth as a "new guy" on the forum (or kind of new....one year
anniversary here).

Old September 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 20 Sep, 20:50, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
mdk77 wrote:
snip
[...]

More bull**** and lies Kenny boy. Just what you would like everybody
to believe. I donīt think many will.

MC

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
mdk77 wrote:
snip
[...]

No bull****, and of course it's what we all know to be
true. What I like or dislike has nothing to do with it.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

On Sep 20, 11:20 am, mdk77 wrote:

Just an observation and thought from a "new guy" who doesn't know
squat about fly fishing, but loves having a place to learn more from
good people here.

Teh subject line of your post should be "OT" Peace treaty, what a
meathead!

Sorry. I'm still learning message board etiquette. You're right, I
should have posted that with the "OT".

Don't apologize. Whoever told you off is a schmuk. (can't remember or
be bothered to find out who it was - there are dozens of them here).

This newsgroup contains an extraordinary number of deeply damaged,
rather unpleasant people, for some reason. Where I fish, most
fly-fisherpeople are unusually tolerant, and most places I've been in
the world fishers are wise, tolerant and helpful.

Not here, though.

As you've seen, for some reason, Roff (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly) seems
to have attracted an unusual skim of agressive middle-aged men, mostly
american, with chips on their shoulders, who have nothing better to do
than pick meaningless, vicious fights with each other.

I've never met any of them, and I've no desire to.

A few of them do know a few things about fishing, (I can never remember
which ones, to be honest, are republican, and which democrat (in spite
of the title of the group, american politics is the main subject of the
group)), so I've been using it for information for many years.

But I would strongly advise you to avoid this place and talk to some
real fishermen who will be glad to help you.

Lazarus
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Also, a little exercise for anybody who cares to try it, Check ALL the
threads where I gave advice, and you will not find a single one where
people disagreed sensibly, invariably the first people to respond with
a personal attack, were you or LaCourse or a a couple of others. There
is not a single case where you disagreed with the advice on any
rational basis.

Easy to check Kenny boy.

You have been trying to discredit me for a long time.

Doesnīt make any difference Kenny boy, the people who have taken my
advice have invariably profited by it. On the other hand, it is
extremely doubtful whethee you have ever even offered any genuine and
useful advice to anybody. You just lie, bull****, insult and attack
people as a matter of course.

This place would be much better off without you.

MC

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
news:200920072108285031%lazaruscooke@britishlibrar y.invalid...

On Sep 20, 11:20 am, mdk77 wrote:

[...]

Hm......

The domestic staff is getting cheeky again.

Wolfgang
who remembers with great fondness a time when the bloody wogs could just be
thrashed and sent packing.