OT GOP Purge

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

Default OT GOP Purge

"David LaCourse" wrote in message
Hmmm. You ain't seen nothing yet, Tom.

I generally operate on that assumption. Life is long, human judgement flawed
often enough and the unforseen far more common than many think it to be.
Tom

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Apr 14, 8:24*am, David LaCourse wrote:
Here's but one opinion, Tom, before I head out for work:

"In my humble opinion, success cannot be measured in the material
things that I have, nor can it be measured by my job title (and I have
a lot of those). To me, success is an inside job. To be successful you
must FEEL successful on the INSIDE.

"You can have all the money, houses and status that you like, but if
you do not FEEL successful on the inside, then you will feel like a
hamster running on it’s wheel in a cage. You’ll be chasing success all
your life and will never achieve it.

"Easy for me to say right?

"Listen, I’ve been in your shoes and have been on the brink of despair
many times. I have been in the eye of the storm more times that I care
to count. I have lived through a dark childhood, I have seen negative
numbers in my bank account, and I have seen the loss of both my parents
to name a few. I made it through to the other side because I never gave
up, and I decided to change how I felt about it all.

"You see when life gets you down and throws you to the ground, you have
two choices … you can lie down there and wallow in it and feel sorry
for yourself, or you can get up. I chose to get up."

Well said, Katherine Giovanni.

And I intend to continue to rise inspite of all the stones thrown at me
on this forum.

Dave

See, that's what we like about you and Katherine.....excess nobility
in the face of horrific hardship.

Idiot.

Pig.

g.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Apr 15, 3:13*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

g.- Hide quoted text -

Any word yet on the chessnuts? Will they be sprouted? I am headed to
the dryside site in a week or so. Night time lows there have been
running in the low 40s F. I could plant and mulch with some rain-
spoiled alfalfa mixed with composted piggery goody mix. Or should I
figure on growing them into seedlings for a year or so, then
transplanting? Address? Shipping?

Old April 16th, 2010, 01:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:07:57 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry:
“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
for selfishness.”
-- John Kenneth Galbraith

Ah...so THAT explains why there are no wealthy "liberals"...

That one touch a nerve, did it ? ;-)

Not in the least - I feel _very_ little need to justify _anything_ to _anyone_,
and esp. not about that for which I've worked toward...if I thought I would feel
the need to "justify" some action I planned to take to anyone, I'd likely not do
it.

HTH,

Old April 16th, 2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Apr 15, 6:03*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:13*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Funny you should menion that. Not two minutes ago I was outside
looking at the last two survivors of last years crop and thinking
about sending out an update on this year's. I don't know what
happened (or, to be more precise, WHY it happened) but this year
germination has been very low among the seeds stratified in the
refrigerator. There has also been a mildew problem. That said, a few
seeds have germinated in the last week or so. It seems that now is
probably about as good a time as any to send them out. I won't be
able to do anything till about this time next week. Anyone still
interested should get mailing addresses and quanity desired to me in
the next few days. I'll try to get them all posted by a week from
tomorrow.

As to planting, direct seeding seems to be the best option....in
general. That's how the trees do it, right? But starting in pots is
often more practical for a variety of reasons. If seeded directly,
they need to be protected from rodents and other vermin out in the
field where you probably won't be most of the time....etc. In either
case, this protection needs to continue for at least three or our
years. In pots, close to home, they can be closey monitored, watered
and whatnot all. You know your position and schedule best. The trees
don't care much about love and respect, but they do their best work
unencumbered by pests, drought, flooding, frost and all that ****.

giles.
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:41:03 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
wrote:
Ken Fortenberry:
“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
for selfishness.”
-- John Kenneth Galbraith

Ah...so THAT explains why there are no wealthy "liberals"...

That one touch a nerve, did it ? ;-)

Not in the least - I feel _very_ little need to justify _anything_ to _anyone_,
and esp. not about that for which I've worked toward...if I thought I would feel
the need to "justify" some action I planned to take to anyone, I'd likely not do
it.

That's quite the performance of the "Dance of the Non Sequiturs".
The search for a superior moral philosophy is a mental exercise,
not an action one plans to take.

And there's not a lot of what I'd call "work" involved in being
born with a silver spoon in your mouth. What you call "work" is
what a lot of folks call "managing the family fortune" and a lot
of folks do that at the kitchen table after they've finished their
full day of "work".

Shows what you know - running a sausage plantation whilst making sure one's
manservant doesn't mis-mix the cocktails is a big job...why, shucks, in the last
year, I've had to get up before noon at least twice, and at least once a month,
the work day lasts for over an hour...

HTH,
....I mean, the serfs don't just whip themselves, donchaknow...
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Apr 16, 7:41*am, Ken Fortenberry

--
Ken Fortenberry- Hide quoted text -

The morality of wealth discussion, like so many other things,
generally dances over so much so as to approach meaninglessness. I am
a progressive, lib in some simplistic seeking minds, pretty "green,"
mostly vote "D" unless the candidate is a known child molester or
there is a decent "R" running for auditor or treasurer at the
courthouse, and etc etc. And although Id be considered in asset terms
(not income terms) well off, I could and have on occasion worked up a
rant or two on the evils of wealth. However . . . I would like to
point out a few things.

1. The econ system of this country is fundamentally capitalist. That
is the reality. 2. Much of the environmentally critical land and water
in the USA is owned and managed by people of wealth. For better or
worse they are important stewards.
3. At the ground level, day to day, government and regulation of these
private lands, specifically ag and forest lands, is at best a mixed
blessing. Govt favors big business and the environmental mismanagement
of grazing, mining and energy leasing in the West gives thin support
to the idea that govt is mostly the answer.
4. On a day to day basis, decision by decision, how to till, how close
to the waterway, how to rotate crops and stock, what to do with the
poop, how to manage the wind/slope/pests/weeds, how to raise animals
humanely, how/when/and how much to cut, etc etc, not to mention how to
make your efforts profitable, and deal with the legions of regulators,
taxes, subsidies, politicians, well meaning others etc. is pretty damn
complex.
5. But, all the above have much more impact on the current and future
health of the environment than garden variety green advocacy, or the
career- long desk dances of most bureaucrats.
6. I do believe that better understanding and working cooperatively
with private ag and forest land owners could have considerable
positive impact on fish and water quality.

Where am I going with this? To the extent I am correct in assuming
that RD is managing the substantial land and ag assets of his family.
he is probably working physically and intellectually a lot harder than
most "professional" jobs require. Ive a friend who owns/manages 6000
acres plus other stuff, he is working 6 to 9, ends the day with a mask
of dust, lives in a modest house, drives decade old vehicles and each
crop year is probably at risk for a few million. He could make more
money with a 2 year degree in computer science and have to keep up on
a tenth of the science my friend does, "managing his family's land."

I think RDs politics are often way off base, but to assume that he
just floats day to day, silver spoon etc is bull****. Sometimes I
could question his cold-water advise but his advise on mechanical and
land stuff rings true and suggests he has gotten his hands dirty more
than most. And if he manages, and influences the management of . . .
as much land as I think he does, a few decisions on his part will have
much greater impact on our environment than most of the rest of us
will ever have. Not to be too clinical but, these people are or should
be the natural allies of conservation minded fishers and hunters, and
that might require focusing on areas of mutual interest and not on
rhetorical ideological differences.