Shooting heads etc.

Old March 4th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Mike Connor

Default Shooting heads etc.

or is it just bloody-minded pedantry?

Cheers!

Wormfly

Oh I am indeed somewhat pedantic. Bloody-minded? I donīt think so.

Nevertheless, the fact remains, the gentlemanīs name was "Hedge" not
"Hodge". Marvin Hedge, he was a tackle rep, and caster, and he did not
invent the shooting head, shooting heads already existed. He introduced the
double haul to tournament casting, at the 1934 American Casting Association
national tournament. Single hauls were already in use, both on the back
cast, and on the forward cast. He combined them, and won a major tournament
as a result.

No Englishmen were involved in "introducing hauling to the world".

He never claimed to have invented the double haul either, indeed I remember
reading somewhere that he mentioned to Mr. Jim Green, another well known
caster of the time, that he had originally seen another steelheader using it
on a river, and had merely copied the technique.

The haul was being used regularly in 1922, but Hedge was the first to use
the double haul in a tournament, and deserves to have his name spelled
correctly.

Even a little research will turn up these facts, you can probably even find
them quite easily on the web somewhere, in fact I am certain I have read
this stuff in various relatively easily accessible places, and while the
inaccuracies I referred to are unlikely to cause anybody any major trouble
or problems, they are still glaring inaccuracies.

What would you say if somebody referred to Skues as "Stues", Halford as
"Hillford" or Gordon as "Gideon", etc etc. If the names and relatively
major facts are incorrect, then I tend to place little faith in the rest of
the stuff these people write. The same goes for people who can not spell,
or use correct grammar. Some may indeed have something interesting to
impart, but is well nigh bloody impossible, as they can not even write a
simple sentence correctly.

This sort of stuff gets on my nerves, some modern books are full of it. If
the useless buggers canīt write, and are incapable of even simple research,
then they should not be writing about it.

It might interest you to learn that I am also English, I was born in
Liverpool, and not yesterday, but in 1952. Fortunately, I do not suffer from
the ridiculous chauvinism of which some seem inordinately and most
unjustifiably proud, to the extent of almost total blindness, or worse, to
the extent that they wilfully suppress or ignore facts which do not fit in
with their ideas.

Cheers! To you as well.

MC

Old March 4th, 2004, 06:31 AM