One last gasp, actual fish pictures

Old December 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

Default One last gasp, actual fish pictures

Hi all, I must confess I rarely peek in at ROFF anymore, I agree it is
essentially dead. Life has been very busy for us with lots of other
things besides fishing, but in 2009 I took some time to make my own
fishing pram which I call "Stubby". I finished it up in 2010, took it
out once for a test, and then didn't have time again for a while. In
October of this year we finally took a weekend up in the mountains
(Lake Roberts in the Gila) and brought Stubby along for its first
purposeful use.

It is SMALL but my wife and I fit just fine and I can stand in the
front and cast while she reads a book in the back. It fits in my long-
bed pickup with the gate up. On the URL below are three pictures, one
of the boat, the second is the FIRST fish ever caught from Stubby,
then finally a trout I caught and kept for dinner. Although this lake
just has stockers, fishing was tricky and I didn't figure out until
the second day that all the trout were down deep and would only hit
something VERY slow. Most boat fisherman were not catching hardly
anything. I think the oxygen levels were low, and the fish were
hunkered down; water temps were fine and a few bugs around, but the
trout were not getting active at all. Once I fished deep and slow with
smallish flies, trout came regularly.

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/pics/stubby/

Merry Christmas to all the ROFFers still out there,

Jon.
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-12-14 14:20:14 -0500, Jonathan Cook said:

[...]

Good to hear from you, Jon. Nice pix. One thing: do not put Frank
Reid in that boat, even if it is on land!

Old December 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Jonathan Cook wrote:
Hi all, I must confess I rarely peek in at ROFF anymore, I agree it is
essentially dead. ...

Confession is good for the soul and "essentially dead" is like
"almost a virgin", by which I mean "not possible".

snip
http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/pics/stubby/

Merry Christmas to all the ROFFers still out there,

Nice little pram and thanks for the pics. All the joy of the
season to you and yours.

You might join the 60 or so roffians on Facebook ROFF, it's not
the same, you might say roff has been ... changed, but it's a
little more 21st century than Usenet.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

season's happiness to you and your'n, jon. thanks for the oxygen. roff
is kinda like that lake, and we're the trout, i reckon.

jeff in nc

Old December 15th, 2011, 06:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Chad

On Dec 14, 7:47*pm, jeff wrote:
season's happiness to you and your'n, jon. *thanks for the oxygen. roff
is kinda like that lake, and we're the trout, i reckon.

jeff in nc

On 12/14/2011 2:20 PM, Jonathan Cook wrote:

Hi all, I must confess I rarely peek ...

Snipped

Jon.

So is it that you are saying that we are deep and slow?
Hmmm? Yea, I'm ok with that.

Chad

Old December 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Jonathan Cook typed:
snip

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/pics/stubby/

Merry Christmas to all the ROFFers still out there,

Thanks, Jon. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Ken Fortenberry typed:
snip

You might join the 60 or so roffians on Facebook ROFF, it's not
the same, you might say roff has been ... changed, but it's a
little more 21st century than Usenet.

I find Facebook to be a lot more work than Usenet, and just a bit too
"saccharine" and far too busy. It's too bad Usenet is fading away because I
think it really does serve its niche. I wonder how long Facebook will hold
its audience. Oh - wait! That was already answered:
http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...on-march-15th/
..
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 15th, 2011, 09:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message

Hi all, I must confess I rarely peek in at ROFF anymore, I agree it is
essentially dead. Life has been very busy for us with lots of other
things besides fishing, but in 2009 I took some time to make my own
fishing pram which I call "Stubby". I finished it up in 2010, took it
out once for a test, and then didn't have time again for a while. In
October of this year we finally took a weekend up in the mountains
(Lake Roberts in the Gila) and brought Stubby along for its first
purposeful use.

Good looking pram Jon,

I remember when you posted pictures during the build.

Thanks for the TR and pictures.

Old December 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Dec 14, 1:20*pm, Jonathan Cook wrote:
Hi all, I must confess I rarely peek in at ROFF anymore, I agree it is
essentially dead...

Leading a non-existent reader to wonder what could possibly be more
pathetic than someone so bereft of dignity as to try to impress non-
readers of a defunct medium.

Or maybe one of us ain't real sure about what it means to be
dead.....or eternally clueless.

giles
who still believes that educating the general public is an idea worth
trying.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

Congratulations!

Jon.