TR and More...continued

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

Default TR and More...continued

When we last left off, Bear and I had just run the mule carts of the road
and were headed to our appointed destination.

I last fished Andrew's Creek with Asadi (John "the intrepid traveller"
Baker) several Thanksgivings ago, or fished with Walt "the sissyboy, I'm
afraid of black snakes" Winter, when he freaked out over a 6' long black
snake that he thought was stalking us--it did follow us up the stream a ways
and then crossed over to our side.

Because it had been so long since I had last fished the stream I couldn't
remember the trail access point too clearly. As Bear and I drove down the
winding dirt road I spotted the trail and parking place where Asadi and I
had parked so long ago. I decided that I might want to see just how far the
take-out point was from the parking area, as I new that I would have
difficulties walking too far back to the Element. Once we arrived at the
point where the stream crosses under the road, I remembered that there was
another trail that we had passed that would shorten the wade but would allow
us to hike in and wad up to the car. Decision made, I geared-up.

It's about 4 tenths of a mile up to the trail and possibly 2 tenth of a mile
down to the stream--very easy hike, since I quit smoking several months
back. Once we got to the stream, Bear began to drink it dry. Andrews' Creek
is a gin clear stream that holds, apparently, mostly brown trout that
especially like a parachute Adams. I started out with a size 16 PMD. I
caught my first brown after a couple of casts, and it was a healthy 10 to 11
incher. I changed flies after the first catch, to a hexagena thingy that I
must have purchased while up in PA.--won't go into that escapade. Needless
to say, I didn't manage a strike. I then tied on a Parachute Adams. First
cast and I had a nice 10 incher on again.

Now I know that 10" trout are nothing to brag about in many parts of the
country, but its a very nice size trout for this stream. While I've caught
larger trout in our freestone streams, to catch primarily 10 inchers is a
good day. And that is the wait went, for the majority of the day. I caught
only one dinker-- 2 1/2 "-- and foul hooke it? Go figure.

Andrew's Creek is a tight fish with lots of overhanging Rhodos bushes,
mountain laurels and other assorted trees. I managed to no hook a single
tree or lose a fly one. I was fishing with my trusty 3/4 wt. 6' Green River
graphite rod and Hardy Feather Light reel emblazoned with decorative
Confederate Flag and Swastika stickers.

Anyway, the day was filled with lots of fishin' fun. Being the drunken sot
that I am, I had forgotten to charge my cell phone last night, so I didn't
get pics of most to the trout I caught and I caught bunches-o-trout! It was
either a very hot mid-day or I had become very hot from the hike in. So, I
decided at one point to dump all of the gear and take a refreshing plunge
into a very inviting pool. Bear, being the fishing buddy that he always is,
he decided he needed to join me, only he decided it best to sit on me in the
process.

I sure hope that Obama fella don't get himself no POTUS title, as I'm sure
he'd put an end to this good 'ol fishin' stuff, and I'd juss hate that real
bad! I hear he's gonna outlaw babies, and bus Al Queadii to our homes to
kill our puppies.

OBFOOTBALL: Yesterday was an especially wonderful day, as my ASU
Mountaineers recovered nicely from their ass-kickin' of the week before and
handed the Jacksonville Dolphins a 56-7 trouncing. YEE HAW!

Op

Old September 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sep 7, 6:27*pm, "Opus--Mark H. Bowen" wrote:

Sounds like fun. Sometimes I miss Brown trout. If truth be known, lots
more cleaver than brookies, bows or cutts. Not too common though in
Wash state. There are some rare fat loners in the Touchet. The rivers
of my youth had them. I remember one real biggie in particular on the
South Branch of the Raritan, caught near an old lace factory as I
recall, on a worm. Or maybe it was at Three Bridges.