Feeding Frenzy

Old June 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Feeding Frenzy

We found multiple wolf packs of bass chasing bait fish everywhere yesterday
from 4 in the afternoon until well after sunset. I love fishing poppers,
but they just wouldn't take it. We all whacked them on spinner baits and
crank baits. I even had a couple doubles on a crank bait. I would have
been thrilled with the numbers I was catching on either bait, but one of my
buddies was getting hit almost every cast on a buzz bait. They wanted a
fast moving bait. I pulled out a 3/8 oz Kastmaster and started burning it
back to the boat as fast as I could reel a couple inches below the surface.
I went 30-40 casts straight with a hit on every single cast, and until we
called it a night I never went more than about 4 or 5 casts without a hit.
I caught so many fish on that Kastmaster and had so many hits that I
straightened out ever point on its treble hook atleast once and had to bend
it back. I couldn't even begin to count how many hits I had or even how
many fish I quick released swinging them into the boat on that failing hook,
but I bet I landed over 50 fish. They were mostly dinks, but there were
plenty in the 13" plus range with the biggest handful going to 2 or 2 1/2
pounds. I have not had that much fun and had that good of a bite in a long
time. I was still getting bit about every 4th or 5th cast when we finally
decided to head in while there was still a little failing light to dodge
sandbars by.

Both of the guys with me did as well. What I found particularly interesting
was that when we first came on the activity none of us had to say a thing.
Among exclamations of, "Wow," and "Did you see that," we all simultaneously
reached for the nearest rod and made a cast. We all hooked up on the first
cast too. The other thing I found interesting is that even though we were
catching fish we all kept adjusting to try find something just a little bit
better.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

That's a great experience Bob. The closest I came to that was fishing from a
Lake Ontario pier one evening when a frenzy erupted and I got a hit on every
cast for 20 minutes (smallies) and had to very reluctantly quit because of
darkness.

You didn't mention a body of water, but I'd be curious if it was a pond,
large lake or river. I'd also be curious as to why you (wisely) selected a
Kastmaster since that lure is not exactly at the top of the bass fishing
radar screen.

Congratulations on a terrific outing.

Old June 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Marty" wrote in message
That's a great experience Bob. The closest I came to that was fishing from
a Lake Ontario pier one evening when a frenzy erupted and I got a hit on
every cast for 20 minutes (smallies) and had to very reluctantly quit
because of darkness.

You didn't mention a body of water, but I'd be curious if it was a pond,

River system would be the best description. Its part reservoir and part
river and fishes like both.

large lake or river. I'd also be curious as to why you (wisely) selected a
Kastmaster since that lure is not exactly at the top of the bass fishing
radar screen.

I had noticed the fish wanted a fast retrieve. I love topwater but couldn't
get them to hit a popper as I could not fish it fast enough. I was actually
looking through one of my topwater trays for a torpedo when I saw the
Kastmaster laying in there from some past trip, and recalled how well it had
worked for fishing striper boils. Figured it couldn't hurt to give it a
try. The thing is we were all catching plenty of fish already. I just hit
on something I could absolutely burn through the water at the right level
and catch even more.

Congratulations on a terrific outing.

Thank you. We all had a blast.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old June 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
geoff

Glorious day!

Sounds like a day, years ago, when I was fishing the dam at Harpers Ferry
with a fishing buddy. At the end of the day our arms ached from catching
smallies. As quick as you could release one, you were onto another. A once
in a lifetime deal..