Montahoming today

Old July 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default Montahoming today

So, I'm sitting, and waiting, in the Dodge dealer in Rexburg since my
check engine light went on and they have to replace some computer
dealie. Figured I might as well post to ROFF given both the time
and boredom level needed.

The Ranch is very crowded so I'm mostly avoiding it. Many, ( most)
waters in Montahoming are still too high so many regulars for opener
that would have moved to the Missouri or Madison are still around.
For some reason the HFork is the opposite and they are letting out
less water than I have ever seen this time of year. Combination of
many humans waving sticks and low, low, water making fish spooky but
heard of a 26.5 incher caught yesterday although all I managed was
hooking two and losing two. ( no where near that big ). The roads
ALL seem to have constant construction zones and pilot cars and long
waits, so I'm waiting till next week to start getting serious about
the Ranch after I move closer and ( hopefully) early season, big bug
mania dies down.

I've been floating around Hebgen stripping little nymphs two-three
feet deep and catching a lot of 18 - 21" fish. We're camped right
there where I can leave the Watermaster ready and launch at the back
door. Been averaging about 3-4 fish an hour and ALL of them are 18"
or better ! Stripping little nymphs on an intermediate line ain't
too boring with that success rate. I used to do mainly lake fishing
in Ca and it's kinda fun ( for a few days ) to revisit.

Jeff, I don't have a clue how the Madison is looking/doing, something
I'm sure you're wondering about. IN the park it normal for now, last
I heard it was high and muddy below Quake .... BUT, I do NOT really
know.

Cool, part in, almost ready to leave the dealer ... see Ya

Old July 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 1-Jul-2010, Larry L wrote:

ytes: 2861

[...]

Thanks for the TR
Please keep 'em comin'

Fred
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"Larry L" wrote in message
So, I'm sitting, and waiting, in the Dodge dealer in Rexburg since my
check engine light went on and they have to replace some computer
dealie. Figured I might as well post to ROFF given both the time
and boredom level needed.

larry, thanks for the tr. but there's one thing about it that i, as an
appalachian small creek fisherman, finds so frustrating(about this report,
and many others from montahoming fishermen). that is your remarkably
"ho-hum" attitude as you languidly go about the process of catching 18-21"
fish, at the rate of 3-4 per hour. i, and i suspect many others around here
(the placid jeffie included) might easily shoot a cousin or two in exchange
for such productivity!

after my first experience on the madison a few years ago, catching those
enormous fish out of that roaring cascade, my memories shiver as they
return. it's something i doubt i could become cavalier about, ever.

oh well, continued good luck to you as you stumble through paradise.

yfitons
wayno

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Larry L wrote:
So, I'm sitting, and waiting, in the Dodge dealer in Rexburg since my
check engine light went on and they have to replace some computer
dealie. Figured I might as well post to ROFF given both the time
and boredom level needed.
snip

You know Montahoming is so last year. For this year I'd like to
humbly suggest Wydahontana or Idomingtana.

HTH

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 7/1/2010 12:34 PM, Larry L wrote:
[...]

thanks for the note larry...i'll be happy just to be out west again,
high water or low. the gibbon and nez perce are usually worth a look in
high water years, and i know a few other lesser fished spots i can
meander about. warren is supposed to be around for several days and
he's promised a float on the yellowstone above gardiner, which i've
never fished. there are reports of some big bug hatches down near
ennis...and it sounds like we'll either hit it just right or miss it by
a few days. danl and i hope to fish 3 day crick again...we had one
incredible year there, and one when the water was too high and fast.

the shops in their PR web notes sure aren't acting like the water is a
problem. G good to hear from you and get a reliable report...trust the
truck thingamajig is ok and all is well back on the water.

jeff

jeff
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_3_]

On Jul 1, 9:34*am, Larry L wrote:
[...]

whenever the check engine light comes on...if the vehicle still drives
okay...stop by an Auto Zone and have them read the trouble codes, and
clear the memory....then, if the same trouble code soon appears begin
the fix.

john

auto zone reads the check engine light for free...

Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

I'm doing laundry acroos the street from BRF right now. Their
chalk board is talking of Salmon Flies just starting but nymphs still
being the way to go below Quake. Probably right on schedule for you
to hit it right on g

Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jul 1, 1:03*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Larry L wrote:
So, I'm sitting, and waiting, in the Dodge dealer in Rexburg since my
check engine light went on and they have to replace some computer
dealie. * *Figured I might as well post to ROFF given both the time
and boredom level needed.
snip

You know Montahoming is so last year. For this year I'd like to
humbly suggest Wydahontana or Idomingtana.

HTH

--
Ken Fortenberry

UM, will consider but being a creature of habit ... not sure I can
change
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jul 1, 11:29*am, "Wayne Harrison" wrote:
"Larry L" wrote in message

[...]

I've given a wrong impression I guess .... I don't scrimp and save in
order to here each summer because I fail to feel the thrill. I DO
admit to being spoiled, but spoiling myself as been a life goal for me
as far back as I can remember ... and I feel zero guilt about that g
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 3-Jul-2010, Larry L wrote:

I DO
admit to being spoiled, but spoiling myself as been a life goal for me
as far back as I can remember ... and I feel zero guilt about that g

Spoiled eh?

I have at least 7 fly rods maybe 8
3 violins, only 2 guitars, 2 mandolins
It seems that I can only use one at a time -but I tell my wife that I "need"
them and she says no more until I sell one.

I need" a Gibson F5 mando
I really "need" it

Anyone want to buy a National; Resophonic mando?

Fred