Best tippet systems?

Old July 13th, 2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Best tippet systems?

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

On 7/12/10 6:07 PM, riverman wrote:
What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I put the spools in a pocket. Duh.

Old July 13th, 2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jul 13, 2:09*am, rw wrote:
On 7/12/10 6:07 PM, riverman wrote:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I put the spools in a pocket. Duh.

How many do you carry at a time, rw?

--riverman
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Jul 12, 7:07*pm, riverman wrote:
What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I don't know if I understand the question.

Just tippet material? On whatever spool it comes.

Full leaders? Store bought's in the original cello sleeve. Homebrews
in a round Altoids tin.

cheers

oz
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-07-12 20:07:55 -0400, riverman said:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

Inside pocket of my vest. Leaders in top pocket, while tippet spools
in next one down (3,4,5,6x). The particular spool that I am using
(usually an Orvis 5x fluorocarbon) goes in a small pocket on the bottom
inside.

The spool has one of those little rubber thingies with an eyelet thru
which the bitter end is pulled.

Works for me.

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

On 7/12/10 6:34 PM, riverman wrote:
On Jul 13, 2:09 am, wrote:
On 7/12/10 6:07 PM, riverman wrote:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I put the spools in a pocket. Duh.

How many do you carry at a time, rw?

It depends on where I'm fishing.

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jul 13, 2:07*am, riverman wrote:
What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

OK, first sampling, it doesn't sound the folks who have responded
don't use any sort of holder or anything, but just keep the spools in
their vest. The reason for this post is that I use a tippet holder
that clips on my vest, but the damn thing seems to always be in the
way (line getting twisted around it, interfering wtih packing the
vest, etc). However, if I were to just put the spools in my pocket,
they would take up a ton of room: I carry a small spool each of 2x
through 7x mono, and also 5x and 6x fluoro. I suppose I could keep all
these in my gear box, and just take out what I need for that day's
outing, but that's one more thing to forget, and I sometimes tie up a
tapered leader on the river, so I might need a little of most of
these.

Of all the 'systems' involved in ff (how to carry your net, how to
carry flies, etc etc), the tippet spool thing is the one I am furthest
from finding the best solution to.

Oh that, and How To Catch Fish.

--riverman
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Injun Joe

On Jul 13, 3:53*am, riverman wrote:
[...]

Joe the Elder offers----for trout fishing just stick a spool of 5k
and 6x in your vest pocket---buy 9ft leaders and don"t add tippett
until you have worked them down to 7 feet for small streams--seems to
work
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

The system I use is fairly simple. I have one of those aluminum posts
that will hold all my spools, 0X through 7X. It all goes into my
vest. The key is placement in the vest. Down lower and it gets
pretty bulky, what with the fly boxes, shot holders, and 12 pack of
microbrew (on ice). That's why I keep mine in the upper right pocket
of my vest. This pocket is high on the vest, just below the collar
bone. Additionally, the post is smaller than the center of the tippet
spools so the spools can lay over a bit. Each spool has an elastic
band around it with the number of the tippet.
For all my "Full Reidedness," my vest is fairly well organized. I
have two different vests, fully outfitted and ready to go. One for
trout and one for warm water. The only changes I make are what fly
boxes I put in, but even with that, I know what kind of flies I have
where, i.e. nymphs are in the lower left pocket, in front of that is
my shot holder and strike indicator pocket. Far lower left pocket is
always reserved for used line and tippet (trash). I can find anything
in the vest with my eyes closed and quite often do (as evidenced by my
fly selection).
Frank Reid

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 12-Jul-2010, riverman wrote:

umber.nntp.dca.giganews.com rec.outdoors.fishing.fly:500754

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I carry spools of tippet in 2 allocated fly vest prockets 1X thru 6X
I cannot see line smaller than 6X
I also carry a very thin ballistic cloth wallet of 7 1/2 ft and 9' pre-made
leaders in a few different sizes
Then
Then - sal****er gear - where I add OX and a bit heavier and spools up thru
4x
I alos have a leader wallet of a few diff tapers. lengths and heavier
weights - heavier of course than my freshwater gear

These all take up very little room in my fly vest.

Fred