Multiple Fly Rods

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jason Rosin

Default Multiple Fly Rods

I do not currently own any fly rods. I am taking a 5 day trip next
week to fly fish in Montana and will be in Jackson WY for two weeks
this summer where I plan to do some fly fishing. I am purchasing a
Sage Launch rod (based on recommendations from people on this group)
and wonder whether 1 rod will be sufficient. Perhaps next week it
might (it will be a guided trip, and I am sure the guide will have a
spare), but in the summer, I will be on my own. The rod I purchased
is
a 5 weight. Mostly fishing for trout. Is it good practice to get a
second 5 weight, something different? Or is one rod sufficient?

- JJR
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 30-Jul-2010, Jason Rosin wrote:

I do not currently own any fly rods. I am taking a 5 day trip next
week to fly fish in Montana and will be in Jackson WY for two weeks
this summer where I plan to do some fly fishing. I am purchasing a
Sage Launch rod (based on recommendations from people on this group)
and wonder whether 1 rod will be sufficient. Perhaps next week it
might (it will be a guided trip, and I am sure the guide will have a
spare), but in the summer, I will be on my own. The rod I purchased
is
a 5 weight. Mostly fishing for trout. Is it good practice to get a
second 5 weight, something different? Or is one rod sufficient?

- JJR

You should definitely have a backup rod

Kind of depends on what you want to purse and where?

You can get a small 7 ft or so rod for small very brushy creeks 3 wt to 5 wt
and smaller fish
I would go 4wt as you could still land a fat rainbow or brown
-and a 6 wt 9ft for wide fast river mouths and lakes and larger fish in a
lake
The pricing will also be heavily dependent on your travel plans as the # of
pieces increases the price dramatically
Do you fly?
Drive?
Are you going to pack this in at times?
When I was in my prime biz wise and traveling a lot I would often take a 3
or 4 pc rod sometimes strapped to a guitar
Now I go mandolin or backpack fiddle and 3 - 4 pc rods if I fly
If I drive 2 or 3 pc - I have a 3pc T &T rod I love

Sage are amongst the most expensive rods
(my favorite 2 rods)
However
I find that I like Thomas and Thomas at a little less $$ and Temple Fork
rods at a far lower price
There are a few other inexpensive (#150-$200) decent imported rods w good
quality control
Allbright Rods were mentioned somewhere.

Hope this helps

Fred - sometimes the wiser
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jul 30, 9:08*pm, Jason Rosin wrote:

*Or is one rod sufficient?

Would one play golf with only one club?

You can get by with one rod but on a long trip I would take a back up
rod and I would take at least one different weight class rod. Last
time I was in that area I used a five weight and a three weight. If
the rod you are buying is a 9' rod, I would look at an 8½' model or
vice versa. Additionally as you acquire more tackle, use the rule of
two's make your next rod either a three weight or a seven weight
depending on the type fishing you are more likely to do.

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-07-30 21:08:52 -0400, Jason Rosin said:

I do not currently own any fly rods. I am taking a 5 day trip next
week to fly fish in Montana and will be in Jackson WY for two weeks
this summer where I plan to do some fly fishing. I am purchasing a
Sage Launch rod (based on recommendations from people on this group)
and wonder whether 1 rod will be sufficient. Perhaps next week it
might (it will be a guided trip, and I am sure the guide will have a
spare), but in the summer, I will be on my own. The rod I purchased
is
a 5 weight. Mostly fishing for trout. Is it good practice to get a
second 5 weight, something different? Or is one rod sufficient?

- JJR

I am assuming that you are just starting to fly fish. If so, go with
what you have. I fished for years as a youth with only 1 flyrod. If
the bug bites and you fall in love with the sport, *then* think about
adding different weights, lengths, material (graphite, bamboo, etc). I
think you have selected the right rod to begin with and it should serve
you well.

Who knows? Perhaps you will become a gear whore like me and others in
this nuthouse. d;o)

Dave
(six graphites and five bamboos)

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-07-30 21:08:52 -0400, Jason Rosin said:

[...]

Forgot to add: It can be painful to invest money in a sport you do not
pursue in the future. You have a 5 weight, add a 7, then a 6, and a 3,
and before you realize it, you have a small fortune invested in rods,
reels, lines, etc. You better make damn sure you are going to stick
with the sport before becoming a gear whore. d;o) I have been fishing
for a very long time (since the late 40s) and I've broken only two rods
- one by falling on it and the other by a screen door at a fishing
camp, both clumsy errors on my part as an old man with painful
arthritis.

Old July 31st, 2010, 03:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
personaobscura

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:37:16 -0700 (PDT), Wayne Knight
wrote:

On Jul 30, 9:08*pm, Jason Rosin wrote:

*Or is one rod sufficient?

Would one play golf with only one club?

Ask Tim Walker?
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 30, 8:37*pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
On Jul 30, 9:08*pm, Jason Rosin wrote:

*Or is one rod sufficient?

Would one play golf with only one club?

You can get by with one rod but on a long trip I would take a back up
rod and I would take at least one different weight class rod. Last
time I was in that area I used a five weight and a three weight. If
the rod you are buying is a 9' rod, I would look at an 8½' model or
vice versa. Additionally as you acquire more tackle, use the rule of
two's make your next rod either a three weight or a seven weight
depending on the type fishing you are more likely to do.

And Wayne, one only needs ONE 4wt, right?
Frank Reid
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman[_5_]

On Jul 31, 9:08*am, Jason Rosin wrote:
I do not currently own any fly rods. *I am taking a 5 day trip next
week to fly fish in Montana and will be in Jackson WY for two weeks
this summer where I plan to do some fly fishing. *I am purchasing a
Sage Launch rod (based on recommendations from people on this group)
and wonder whether 1 rod will be sufficient. *Perhaps next week it
might (it will be a guided trip, and I am sure the guide will have a
spare), but in the summer, I will be on my own. *The rod I purchased
is
a 5 weight. *Mostly fishing for trout. *Is it good practice to get a
second 5 weight, something different? *Or is one rod sufficient?

- JJR

A 5wt is a great all-around rod; nice start. You have three choices,
as I see it.

1) Get another 5wt, but a multi-piece travel rod (like a Hardy Gem
Smuggler). That way your reels and lines will work on either rod, and
you are set up to drive or fly to your destinations.

2) Start expanding your collection. As others have mentioned, go up
and down by twos....if you think you'll go for small panfish and tiny
(6-8") trout, then get a 3wt. If you think you're going to go for big
bass, pike, stripers, etc...then you need a 7wt. But be aware...you're
talking about new lines, new reels, different tippet, different flies,
etc. As others have said, you better be damn sure you want to pursue
this sport before you start investing too much.

3) Take what you have...one rod. If you break it, go to the nearest
fly shop and replace it with another 5wt. I can't imagine you breaking
it, however...its less common than you think, and always caused by
carelessness.

My advice? For a beginner, you need to be sure you want to become a
dedicated fly fisherman before you start acquiring too much gear.
Also, your taste in gear might evolve a lot as you go up the learning
curve...more expensive isn't necessarily better, and you need to find
out what works for you at the stage you are at. I'm not sure if you
will have your Sage for the trip next week, but I'd suggest trying out
every rod you can during that trip...any guide worth his tip will let
you cast every rod he has with him. Let him know you want to sample
some different rods, and he will bring along a handful for you to try,
I'm sure. Then by next summer, you will know what you want. You don't
have to decide now.

--riverman
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 30-Jul-2010, D. LaCourse wrote:

I am assuming that you are just starting to fly fish. If so, go with
what you have. I fished for years as a youth with only 1 flyrod. If
the bug bites and you fall in love with the sport, *then* think about
adding different weights, lengths, material (graphite, bamboo, etc). I
think you have selected the right rod to begin with and it should serve
you well.

Who knows? Perhaps you will become a gear whore like me and others in
this nuthouse. d;o)

Dave
(six graphites and five bamboos)

Who knows? Perhaps you will become a gear whore like me and others in
this nuthouse. d;o)

I take umbrage
The whole world is a nut house

Forgot to add: It can be painful to invest money in a sport you do not
pursue in the future. You have a 5 weight, add a 7, then a 6, and a 3,
and before you realize it, you have a small fortune invested in rods,
reels, lines, etc. You better make damn sure you are going to stick
with the sport before becoming a gear whore. d;o) I have been fishing
for a very long time (since the late 40s) and I've broken only two rods
- one by falling on it and the other by a screen door at a fishing
camp, both clumsy errors on my part as an old man with painful
arthritis.

Dave

One of the good or better things about Sage Orvis is their breakage
replacement warranty
I have used it several times
My T & T rod costs me a t least $50 whenever I or a friend breaks the tip
(twice)

Fred
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-07-31 11:20:47 -0400, "Fred" said:

One of the good or better things about Sage Orvis is their breakage
replacement warranty
I have used it several times
My T & T rod costs me a t least $50 whenever I or a friend breaks the tip
(twice)

Fred

When I let the screen door at camp slam into a 6 weight Orvis many
years ago, Orvis replaced the tip for nothing. When I clumsily fell on
my Winstron LT5, it cost $50 to replace the tip. Not so bad.