....got the fever....

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Default ....got the fever....

Oh yeah, I'm barreling down the road. I have everything I need!

You see, I keep a rucksack by my door with my four piece Penns five weight
nearby. . All I need to do is grab a liter of frozen water from the freezer
and I am ready to go. I keep my sack stocked with crackers and peanut butter
and candy bars and occasionally I'll toss in some carrots or apples.

I head down the highway and take a turn. A few clicks up the mountain and I
am beyond electric, beyond water and beyond pavement.

I stop at a sari sari store, like a rum shop kiosk and chat with the boys.
They laugh and ask if I am going fishing again. I hold my rod case high
and say, "Yes, I am!"

Sometimes I bring the small ones back with me and give them out...for these
folks...it is a blessing of food.

For many kilometers I hike.

At the river I unpack. From my rucksack I take my vest and hang it on a
tree limb. The frozen liter goes in the sun to provide me with cold water
whenever I need it. The rod I lay beside a tree.

I study the water. The big one is in there...I know it!

I munch a snack, plan my attack....

And then I go to my rucksack and get my gold pan.....yeah baby I am panning
for gold.

I got the fever!

john

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

john b wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm barreling down the road. I have everything I need!
snip
And then I go to my rucksack and get my gold pan.....yeah baby I am
panning for gold.

I got the fever!

Literally panning for gold ? There are a few folks who show up in
Cooke City, Montana on summer weekends who go up in the mountains
to pan for gold. They're as secretive as fly fishermen about where
they go. They all have the exact same result though, to a man they
find just enough gold to pay for their gas to and from Cooke City.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message ...

john b wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm barreling down the road. I have everything I need!
snip
And then I go to my rucksack and get my gold pan.....yeah baby I am
panning for gold.

I got the fever!

Literally panning for gold ? There are a few folks who show up in
Cooke City, Montana on summer weekends who go up in the mountains
to pan for gold. They're as secretive as fly fishermen about where
they go. They all have the exact same result though, to a man they
find just enough gold to pay for their gas to and from Cooke City.

--
Ken Fortenberry

yup, but they drive an SUV. With my little motorbike - I'm turning a
profit!!!!

john

Old March 18th, 2012, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Mar 14, 7:56*am, "john b" wrote:
[...]

Here in the states, we have some shows on digging for gold in Alaska.
Cool one is the guys diving with dredge hoses in Nome. Something I
would have done when I was younger. Looked cool.
Frank Reid
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

when i had a place on elk creek in watauga county, nc a family (man,
woman, 2 kids) did the gold mining thing in the creek. really screwed
up the fishing...

jeff

Old March 20th, 2012, 09:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Frank Reid © 2010 typed:
On Mar 14, 7:56 am, "john b" wrote:

snip
And then I go to my rucksack and get my gold pan.....yeah baby I am
panning for gold.

I got the fever!

Here in the states, we have some shows on digging for gold in Alaska.
Cool one is the guys diving with dredge hoses in Nome. Something I
would have done when I was younger. Looked cool.

Frank in a diving suit in 30 feet of water, holding a strong suction hose,
heat and air provide by hoses from crappy equipment based on a platform
dredge that looks like in wouldn't float in a puddle and would fall apart in
a mild breeze. What could go wrong?
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2012-03-20 16:19:25 -0400, "Tim J."
said:

Frank Reid © 2010 typed:
On Mar 14, 7:56 am, "john b" wrote:

snip
And then I go to my rucksack and get my gold pan.....yeah baby I am
panning for gold.

I got the fever!

Here in the states, we have some shows on digging for gold in Alaska.
Cool one is the guys diving with dredge hoses in Nome. Something I
would have done when I was younger. Looked cool.

Frank in a diving suit in 30 feet of water, holding a strong suction hose,
heat and air provide by hoses from crappy equipment based on a platform
dredge that looks like in wouldn't float in a puddle and would fall apart in
a mild breeze. What could go wrong?

Frank in a set of waders in fast water, holding a beloved flyrod, using
a Falstaff with worn rubber bands, on shaky knees, casting a size 2 10x
streamer without its barb pinched, in a mild breeze. What could go
wrong?

d;o)

Old March 24th, 2012, 04:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On 2012-03-20 16:19:25 -0400, "Tim J."
said:

Frank Reid © 2010 typed:
On Mar 14, 7:56 am, "john b" wrote:

snip
And then I go to my rucksack and get my gold pan.....yeah baby I am
panning for gold.

I got the fever!

Here in the states, we have some shows on digging for gold in Alaska.
Cool one is the guys diving with dredge hoses in Nome. *Something I
would have done when I was younger. *Looked cool.

Frank in a diving suit in 30 feet of water, holding a strong suction hose,
heat and air provide by hoses from crappy equipment based on a platform
dredge that looks like in wouldn't float in a puddle and would fall apart in
a mild breeze. What could go wrong?

Frank in a set of waders in fast water, holding a beloved flyrod, using
a Falstaff with worn rubber bands, on shaky knees, casting a size 2 10x
streamer without its barb pinched, in a mild breeze. *What could go
wrong?

d;o)

NAUI certified diver, private pilots license, white water rescue
certification... just 'cause I've had a couple of mishaps... all that
good goes out the window. Geez.
Frank Reid
(yeah, just because I drove the Rose Parade float into the crowd
doesn't mean it was all my fault)
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2012-03-23 23:33:09 -0400, Frank Reid � 2010 said:

(yeah, just because I drove the Rose Parade float into the crowd
doesn't mean it was all my fault)

Ta da! d;o)