Is a Rio WindCutter a good alternative for WF3?

Old June 30th, 2004, 09:07 PM
William H.M. Wood

Default Is a Rio WindCutter a good alternative for WF3?

My previous question about a good WF3 unleashed a discussion on AFTMA
and resulted in some good tips. Wulff Triangle came highly recommended.
But that line is hard to find and/or very expensive in the corner of
Europe where I live.

Two tackle shops suggested a Rio WindCutter as alternative.

Does anybody have hands on experience with a WindCutter AFTMA 3?

Thanks
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:24 AM
Sierra fisher

The Windcutter is designed for long distance casting, and for casting into
the wind. It has much of its weight towards the tip of the line. this
foreward position of the weight helps in its objectives. However, when it
lands in the water, this heavy line splashes and makes niose in close
proximity to the fly. If you are fishing with delicate dry flies to
skittish fish, this can be objectionable.
If you are concerned with "presentation", and you don't want to scare the
fish, you want a line with a long front taper. It won't cast as far, but
doesn't make the noise. Such a line is the Rio Classic.
I put presentaion type lines on all of my lighter weight rods, such as your
3 weight. When I get to 6 and heavier, I use distance lines since I am
normally fishing with nymphs, of sinking lines, and don't need to worry
about noise.
You have to decide what you want..distance or presentation

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old July 5th, 2004, 01:24 PM
William H.M. Wood

In article ,
"Sierra fisher" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply. This narrows it down and pushes the WindCutter
out of the picture. I do need stealth.

Can you recommend a WF3 line that's good for presentation? Of should I
switch to a DT3?

As I said earlier most quality brands that are widely available in the
US, I can't get over here. For instance Cortland has no distributor. And
the guy who sells the WindCutter doesn't have other Rio lines.

Thanks again.
Old July 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Thanks for your reply. This narrows it down and pushes the
WindCutter out of the picture. I do need stealth.

Greg I wouldn't rule out the Windcutter, because he has it backwards
Greg (or maybe he's confusing the spey windcutter with the wf
Greg windcutter). He said that "...it has much of its weight
Greg towards the tip of the line." It's actually the opposite: the
Greg first 18-odd feet are lighter than normal.

Don't know the actual profile of this line, but from my personal
experience I also would not rule it out. I've used my 4wt Windcutter
on a couple of occasions, for example last week on a small pond and a
very small stream. Seemed to be just fine for stealthy fishing.

On the other hand, if you are not short of reel space, I would
recommend a DT line over a WF line in small-scale fishing. (I use the
WF occasionally on my small large-arbor Loop reel, since it can not
host a full 4wt DT line).

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old July 5th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Bill Kiene

Another issue is that most rods labeled for a #3 line actually cast better
for most with a #4 line.

Try to see if you know anyone who has a #4 line so you can try it on your
rod.

This is more important than deciding on a DT or a WF.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA