rod/reel line for baitcaster

Old February 24th, 2004, 09:14 PM
1984

Default rod/reel line for baitcaster

Lets say I have a baitcaster that is made for 10-14 lb line and a rod
the same. Will I have any problems putting on 14 lb fireline even
though the diameter is only 6 lb?
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:40 AM

No problem if it's a modern reel.
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"1984" wrote in message
Lets say I have a baitcaster that is made for 10-14 lb line and a rod
the same. Will I have any problems putting on 14 lb fireline even
though the diameter is only 6 lb?

The only problem that I foresee happening is if you snag your lure and try
to pull it free, the line might cut down into the spool, causing backlashes
on the next cast. Make sure that when you put the line on the reel, that
you spool it VERY tightly under a lot of tension to reduce this problem.

This is a common issue with fine diameter superlines.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Guy A.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:18:51 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"1984" wrote in message
.. .
Lets say I have a baitcaster that is made for 10-14 lb line and a rod
the same. Will I have any problems putting on 14 lb fireline even
though the diameter is only 6 lb?

Make sure that when you put the line on the reel, that
you spool it VERY tightly under a lot of tension to reduce this problem.

Good advice from Huber!

Here's another idea: unless you have a good reason for loading 14#
Fireline, why not use 25# or 30#? The heavier line won't dig
in/backlash as easily. I have used 30# Fireline on an assortment of
Curados and Daiwas for years without a problem. The stuff casts like
a dream, even with light lures and is strong enough to pull stumps.

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Eric H" wrote in message
.. .
Best way to free a snag when using superlines is to make 5 or 6 wraps of

the
line around something (I use my trusty Chapstick) and use that to tug on

the
snag. I'd never use the reel directly. Not only does the line embed, you

may
damage drag, gears, etc.

And never, Never, NEVER wrap the line around your hand or fingers. That is
a good way to end up with a nasty cut to the bone. While I haven't done it,
I have seen it done and the results aren't pretty.

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:19 AM
RichZ

We use what we call the fireline pull...

Push the button, pull a couple foot loop of line out the BACK of the reel
(over the thumbbar) and wrap the line around the rod handle a few times in
a lazy crossweave pattern (like a levelwind on steroids), then pull
straight back on the rod handle, with the tip pointed at the hung lure. No
cut fingers, no digging into the spool, and surprisingly, no damage to the
cork handle.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old February 26th, 2004, 02:03 AM