Berkley Iron Silk

Old March 25th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Aa Aa

Default Berkley Iron Silk

Has anyone tried this new fishing line?

Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.

I was thinking about trying it.

Thanks for any opinions!

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Bob La Londe

I tried some 25lb on a flipping rod last year. It was ok, but not as nice
to cast as Seaguar.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Kevin Patterson

I thought this line casted well. But its advertising doesn't hold true. I
broke off on two fish and said the heck with it. Abrasion resistant BAH! I
even check my line every 10 casts or so to make sure it doesn't need to be
reitied. I am fond of Pline and I am in the process of testing Stren Super
Braid. So far I don't like it as much as Spider Stealth. But its got real
good knot strength something I've had to watch with the stealth line. But
its not as smooth as Stealth.

I would think it would depend on what you want to use IronSilk for. I
wouldn't depend on it around riprap or submerged rock. Because like I said I
don't think it lives up to its advertising. I fish around a lot of rocks in
Tennessee. It did seem to hold up fairly well in the laydowns and around
wood structure. But so does Pline.

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Team Horner Fishing

I've used 6lb Ironsilk on my finesse spinning gear and 12lb Ironsilk on my
casting reels. I fell in love with the stuff. It casts very well. I definitely
noticed longer casts using Ironsilk over regular Berkley Trilene XL. The thing
that surprised me was it's almost total lack of memory, even on my spinning
gear. Great line.
-Jim
http://www.teamhornerfishing.com
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Suthern Transplant

Won't ever use it again.
It's junk IMHO, because it breaks quite easily compared side by side w/
others of the same test. It does cast very smoothly and has a low
memory...but that's about it.
Suthern

Old March 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM
COOLLURES

I agree that I dont care for it either. I used it on a bait caster, a
spinning rig and hated it on both. Limp, it is, abrasion resistant, dont
think so. It broke pretty easialy and would rather go with stren, or any
other line.

I would recomend gander mountains guide series line. Man is it cheep but
holds up well and no line twist either.
Jeff

--
COOL LURES
The Lures that put FISH on ICE!

Old March 27th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Aa Aa

Thanks guys, maybe I'll pass on it.

Old March 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM
RichZ

My experience with Iron silk is the polar opposite of yours. I'd like see
it a little more limp, but found its abrasion resistance is outstanding.
FWIW, I liked it in 4 & 6 lb test. Didn't care much for it in 12, at least
for worm fishing. But it seemed alright for jerk bait/crankbait fishing in
that size.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing