Alpine Fly Fishing?

Old July 1st, 2004, 02:21 AM
Richard Liebert

Default Alpine Fly Fishing?

I'll be back packing a fly rod into the Wind River Range in WY later in
July. The lakes are all at altitude between 6,000 and 11,000 feet and have
long been stocked with trout.

I'm fairly new to fly fishing. Anyone care to recommend flies that should
work well?

Thanks, Rick

Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:35 AM
-- Rob

I'm fairly new to fly fishing. Anyone care to recommend flies that should
work well?

Thanks, Rick

hope others in the know will respond, but I just read an article in fly rod &
reel about the use of terrestrials in mountain lakes.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Willi

Richard Liebert wrote:

I'll be back packing a fly rod into the Wind River Range in WY later in
July. The lakes are all at altitude between 6,000 and 11,000 feet and have
long been stocked with trout.

I'm fairly new to fly fishing. Anyone care to recommend flies that should
work well?

Thanks, Rick

It's been quite a few years since I was up there, but on any of the
lakes that required a decent hike to get to, the fish weren't very
particular. The key was finding the "good" lakes. Some of the lakes
winter kill and some aren't very productive. Do some research and you
should be able to find a couple good ones. One of the rangers turned me
onto a VERY good lake that was off the main trails. The main trails do
get a fair amount of foot traffic and much of the best fishing is in
less used areas.

I mainly fished the inlet, if there was one, and the outlet areas and
mostly used attractor dries. Some midges would also be a good idea as
well as some damsel nymphs, scuds and hare's ears.

Beautiful country with lots of water but also LOTS of mosquitoes when I
was there. The small streams are also alot of fun. Awesome area. You're
going to have a great time. Take some pictures and post them for us.

Willi

Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:19 PM
rw

-- Rob wrote:
I'm fairly new to fly fishing. Anyone care to recommend flies that should
work well?

Thanks, Rick

hope others in the know will respond, but I just read an article in fly rod &
reel about the use of terrestrials in mountain lakes.

Gary LaFontaine's book, Fishing the Mountain Lakes, is very good.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
Rusty Hook

Willi wrote:
It's been quite a few years since I was up there, but on any of the
lakes that required a decent hike to get to, the fish weren't very
particular. The key was finding the "good" lakes. Some of the lakes
winter kill and some aren't very productive.
Beautiful country with lots of water but also LOTS of mosquitoes when I
was there. The small streams are also alot of fun. Awesome area. You're
going to have a great time. Take some pictures and post them for us.

Only thing I can add to that is that the fish can be selective at times, but
are usually not. The main trick is to not let them see you. Because they
don't see a lot of people, they spook extremely easily.
Bring along some of the usual attractors: Adams, Wulff, Stimulator,..
whatever your favorites may be, in sizes 12-16. All you should really need
will be the 14's, but it's a long way back to the car, so cover your bases a
little. A 4wt outfit would be ideal, IMO.
Bring some wet patterns too, especially soft hackles, in the same size range
as the dries. A wet pattern, stripped across current, will often outperform
the dry patterns. When fish aren't hitting at the surface, I have found it
usually works better to go right to a soft hackle instead of switching to
another dry pattern.

PS. Parachute patterns of all kinds should work very well where you're
going. bring 'em.

--
Rusty Hook
Laramie, Wyoming

Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Joe McIntosh

Default trout prints

Willie, next time you are in town [i think Fort Collins is your town] how

about wandering into the book shop on the main street that handles old
books , prints etc. Just up street from the bar that trys to sell single
malt shots to your studs and college kids. I would like to acquire a couple
of trout prints by Eileen Klatt--about 10 by 18 inches I think he was
selling them for $8 each--but I would pay up to $15 each.
Would like to have a full set but especially a brook trout.[i have the other
three]

Also would you like to have a Colorado Angling Guide by chuck fothergill
and bob sterling [ printed in 89--with lots of maps etc]--will haul in my
overloaded luggage in exchange for a quick lesson in how to idenify the
flies in my box.
JOE

Old July 4th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Tim Carter

"-- Rob" wrote in message
I'm fairly new to fly fishing. Anyone care to recommend flies that should
work well?

Thanks, Rick

hope others in the know will respond, but I just read an article in fly

rod &
reel about the use of terrestrials in mountain lakes.

I read the same article and found it rather fascinating. For those that
didn't see it, in essence, there is often a wind pattern (the cabernet has
taken hold and I forget the name right now...) that blows up the mountains
carrying all sorts of terrestrials into the lakes. I think it said ants
(and was it spiders) were one of the most common found.