32" brown trout

Old January 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
while-one

Default 32" brown trout

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle ran a big (huge, page-wide)
photo of a Begrade angler holding a 32" brown trout.
It took some digging into the article, but he did catch it
on a flyrod and he did release the fish. The angler
(somebody Rogers) said something like "I use big lures.
I don't catch as many fish as the little nymph and dry flies
guys....."

Really big 4-6" long articulated streamers have been
catching on around here, last few years. So I imagine
that's what caught the fish. Ah, on the MIssouri
near Three Forks. That water is barren and bathtub
warm in summer. But the big brown trout do start
moving around by late October. One famous fish
was tagged in the Ruby one year, and shocked in
the Beartrap Canyon the next. That's got to be
close to 100 river miles away.
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"while-one" wrote in message
The Bozeman Daily Chronicle ran a big (huge, page-wide)
photo of a Begrade angler holding a 32" brown trout.
It took some digging into the article, but he did catch it
on a flyrod and he did release the fish. The angler
(somebody Rogers) said something like "I use big lures.
I don't catch as many fish as the little nymph and dry flies
guys....."

Really big 4-6" long articulated streamers have been
catching on around here, last few years. So I imagine
that's what caught the fish. Ah, on the MIssouri
near Three Forks. That water is barren and bathtub
warm in summer. But the big brown trout do start
moving around by late October. One famous fish
was tagged in the Ruby one year, and shocked in
the Beartrap Canyon the next. That's got to be
close to 100 river miles away.

The article:
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/art...ws/70trout.txt
-tom

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
while-one

On Jan 24, 8:07 am, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
....above link to the article.

So, he caught that fish on Sunday, Jan 13.
I remember that day. It was over 40degrees
and cloudy, with no wind. I went to DePuys Spring
Creek and caught one 13" brown trout on a #16
beadhead. Missed 2-3 other fish.

I might have to start thinking lower rivers again,
especially during winter.
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Big Fish

"while-one"

holding a 32" brown trout.

That is one big trout.

Might as well start a mid-winter 'big trout' thread ?

Mine, ... a 28" Rainbow from a California stillwater.

It was damsel time and I had waded out crotch deep and was casting to and
around the swirls, catching fish on a fairly regular basis. Suddently,
behind me ( towards shore ) a big swirl in the weeds. I was in the middle
of working out another cast so I just turned around and covered it.

Instant hookup. Instant panic as the fish ran at me towards deep water,
then afterr it ws past me, that beautiful sound of a reel spinning on drag
for a LONG time. Now as the run slowed I started to apply some more
pressure. Way off shore was an angler in a pram and as I pulled on my
fish a huge trout jumped clear of the water very near that pram and my first
thought was, "He's got a big one too." Then I saw that his rod wasn't
bent and his jaw was dropped as he looked towards me, that jumping fish was
mine and she had run one hell of a long way.

I kept pressure on and worked the fish gradually closer to me, backing into
shallow water for the landing. But each time I got the fish into water
less than 3 or 4 feet deep it would panic and make another run. I began to
worry about tiring it too much ( 5wt rod, 4X for the record ) so I waded
back out to nearly the top of my waders and managed to slip the fish into my
net. That net is exactly 20 inches long and after removing the hook I
held the fish along it and then used my rod handle to roughly measure 'over
hang' .... thus the 28" is not accurate ... it is actually conservative if
anything, but the fish was under 30.

In retrospect I'm sure I could have put more pressure on that fish with the
tackle I was using, but I knew it was big and I didn't want to pull the hook
loose ( bigger fear than breaking tippet ) ... The reviving went quickly
and the Bow kicked water in my face as it left, there is something truly
special about releasing them, it might be the best part.

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:42:09 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

Might as well start a mid-winter 'big trout' thread ?

Biggest Rainbow - 31+ inches with a 17+ inch girth on the Zhuponava
River in Kamchatka on a mouse pattern, 6 weight.

Biggest Dolly Varden - 20 inches on the Zhuponova on a PT nymph, 6
weight.

Biggest Rainbow in Alaska, 30 incher (several) from the Kvichak River
and Morraine Creek on beads, 6 weight.

Biggest Brookie in Labrador, 7 lbs on a #14 Goddard Caddis, 5 weight.

Biggest Land Locked Salmon on the Rapid River, Maine, 24+ inches on a
#18 PT, 5 weight.

Biggest Cut, Middle fork of the Salmon in Idaho, 17+ inches, PT on a 5
weight.

Biggest Silver (coho) in Alaska on the Big River, 16 lbs on a *real*
ugly and big streamer, 7 weight.

Biggest King (chinook) in Ontario, Canada on a woolly bugger, about 14
pounds (I know..... a small one), 7 weight.

Biggest Stealhead in Ontario, Canada, streamer, 31 inches, 7 weight.

Carp, 12 pounds, on a Madam X on the resevoir above the dam on the Big
Horn, 6 weight.

And I remember every fish as if it just happened. I can't, however,
remember the color of my first love's eyes. ;-) I remember her
father's eyes - dark and threatening. :-(

Dave
(and yeah, it's bragging, but I'm sure there are bigger fish caught by
other roffians)
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

wrote:

Might as well start a mid-winter 'big trout' thread ?

Biggest Rainbow - snip

And I remember every fish as if it just happened. I can't, however,
remember the color of my first love's eyes. ;-)
Dave

What eyes?
My first had a bag over her head.
-tom

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Larry L" wrote

Might as well start a mid-winter 'big trout' thread ?

Biggest dry fly / moving water .... 25 " Rainbow from my favorite water

Old January 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Biggest Cut - Colob Resevoir near Virgin, UT - 23 1/4" on a dragonfly
nymph

Biggest Carp - Offutt AFB, NE base lake - 39" grass carp on a carrot
nymph

Biggest Goose - Cambridgeshire quarry pond - 12 lb on a streamer

Biggest Zander - Cambridgeshire canal - 17 lbs on a Frank's Fighting
Craw

Frank Reid
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
sandfly[_16_]

theres a 32" 14lb. brown here on the wall, caught on the upper pine
creek by my tenant George.. on a ausable wulff sz.14 dry. in july of
2000

--
sandfly

sandfly/bob
flyfishing instructor, tying and shop owner
http://tinyurl.com/3x53lq
N.J.B.B.A.2215
formally bucks now tioga co. pa.
there's a fine between sane and Insane !

I did not escape----They gave me a day pass !!
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Peter A. Collin wrote:
So why did he put it on a stringer if he released it?????

Pete Collin

"Rogers put the fish on a stringer to secure him in the water while
Sanders ran to get his camera.

After taking a few shots and measuring the trout, Rogers released the
mighty brown back into the river.

'He just went on off,' Rogers said. 'So he's there for someone else to
catch again'."