Short TR of a short trip

Old October 31st, 2004, 06:06 PM
Peter Charles

Default Short TR of a short trip

FINALLY, I wet a line.

Blustery, cold, swirling winds -- oh ya, nice day.

I wanted steelhead, Grand River steelhead. We've had lots of rain,
pouring, buckets, cats & dogs, lighting storms waking me up,
torrential downpours, so me figures that water levels would be high.
I prepare -- big, fat waters needs big, fat rod with big, fat line for
throwing big, fat flies. Bring little rod in case the big, fat water
is too fat and the Credit becomes the destination of choice. In the
trunk goes a 14'6" - 10 wt. and 12'4" - 8/9 wt.

Parking lot not crowded (it's tiny so it's easy to crowd) and only two
guys fishing. Uh Oh, low water. Where did all the water go? Anyway,
string up the 10 wt. and head for the main current.

The wind, did I tell you about the wind? It must be female today
because it couldn't make up it's mind. Upstream, downstream, in my
face, off my casting shoulder (either one), blowing hard, barely
blowing. AAACCCKKK! Just when I'd set up off the right, the D-Loop
is blown into me, set up on the left and the same thing. Which way?

Did I say that I had a big, fat rod? Well. sweeping line with a big
fat rod when the wind is blowing hard against it, beats a Bowflex for
making muscle. I decide that the little rod will be better.

Surprise, it's a bit too little, and I can't get the distance I'd like
in the wind. Plus the crappy Windcutter line won't turn over half the
time. After a futile half-an-hour, a mammoth gust blows the entire
kit 'n' kaboodle right in my face in mid sweep. Hogtied! I quit
(after untying myself).

Oh ya . . . no fish.

Shoulda stayed in bed . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:15 PM
-- Rob

Oh ya . . . no fish.

Shoulda stayed in bed . . .

Peter

This sounds like my entire fall for stripers.

Wind, wind, or no fish no fish. We had 2 weeks of North winds that ruined a key
part of the fall run.

But hopefully this week will turn fish on again, and be a little more fly
friendly.

A 14' 2 hand rod might be nice as well.

-- Rob
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Rob S.

Peter Charles wrote in message
[snip]

In June we had NE winds blowing that took out a couple of days as
well. There's already a striper two-hander on the market -- Greg and
I both have one -- a CND Atlantis. It's an 11' 11 wt. that'll handle
11/12 wt. lines. It's interesting to cast as it'll put out enough
line that head length becomes critical to ensuring that the cast rolls
out properly. Otherwise, around 100' or so, the cast can "crash".

The Daiwa 10 wt. I was using was original designed as an overhead rod
but it's superb on the spey as well. Daiwa makes a 12'6" 8 wt. that
would be great in the surf. That's a spey 8 wt. rating so figure on
regular 10 wt. lines to load it. I've overhead cast 120' in the yard
using Greg's 8 wt.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

I know there are probably entire web sites devoted to this, but do you
know if the CND Atlantis is used with a shooting head (I'm guessing
yes from the above)?
Or a WF?

I saw a video demo of some 2 handed 11wt rod with which the caster
seemed to use a stroke more like spin fishing, swinging the head
slowly behind him and then an overhand stroke that delivered about
150' of line out consistently.

This is "on my list" for next year.

-- Rob
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM
Peter Charles

On 1 Nov 2004 09:38:55 -0800, (Rob S.) wrote:

[...]

Yes and yes. I used the Atlantis with an Airflo WF-I-12 striper line
while Greg used a shooting head rig. I've since bought a complete set
of Airflo 45' - 12 wt. heads for it.

That casting stroke you saw is called a Belgian cast or an oval cast.
If you're flogging a heavy head, a standard backcast can cause some
nasty bouncing, killing the forward load. That slow swing maintains a
nice, constant load on the rod, keeping everything nice and smooth.

Go here http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk/index.htm and then to
Sal****er Flyfishing to read up on Atlantis usage. The guy by the
name of Juro on this site, is the NorAm rep. for CND and he designed
the Atlantis rod. Aparently they've now produced a 9 wt. version.
Their website is www.cndspey.com.

BTW, the 150' isn't bull****.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Rob S.

[...]

thanks Peter! will definitely be checking this out. The winds this
year were really wicked with the single handed 9 and 10 wts I have and
I was looking for something with a little more punch to use more
consistently.

thanks again,
Rob