Short TR of a short trip

Old October 31st, 2004, 09:47 PM
JR

Default Short TR of a short trip

bugcaster wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
FINALLY, I wet a line.

Blustery, cold, swirling winds -- oh ya, nice day.

I wanted steelhead,

Describes the latest trip to the Deschutes. I did not see anyone hook up,
but later learned that a few had caught fish on the same day.

What section did you fish?

I went to the Siletz last Sunday with a friend from Corvallis. No
steelhead, though each of us had one brief hook-up. We weren't skunked
though; each of us also caught a single sea-run cutthroat, both of them on
Caballeros. A twenty-one incher for my friend (his largest ever), and a
13-incher for me. What lovely bright fish they are!

Oddly, one of the most fun parts of the day was spent looking down off a
bridge watching a group of drift fishermen work a deep pool full of
chinook. They caught 2 in the half hour we watched. There were maybe a
dozen people (a couple of families and a few single guys) along a 30-foot
stretch of gravel bar, with 4 or 5 lines in the water. It was a quiet
friendly communal activity, with no sense of "combat fishing." Looked
like a whole lot of fun, actually. The fish were much brighter than I had
expected, too, that far upstream. Several dozen fish were spawning in a
flat just upstream, and I'd seen a half dozen decomposing carcasses just
downstream, but the fish taken from that pool had only a touch of darkness
to them.

JR
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:59 PM
JR

Peter Charles wrote:

Don't get talked into a Windcutter for it, get either the Loop Adapted
system, the new Loop Quattro, or an Airflo Delta. I have a Windcutter
7/8/9 on the 8124 and it sucks. Today, if I let enough running line
out so that the line didn't come up hard on the reel, the T-8 head
wouldn't complete the turnover. I'd get a laser loop going out, then
the whole thing would drop into the water with 10' to 15' of the tip
still folded back. If I pulled in just three feet of running so that
the line would come up hard on the reel, then that shock was enough to
get the tip rolled out. I was using the T-8 (green) tip along with
Tip 2 -- not the best combo. Had no such problem using the Airflo
9/10 Delta + T-7 tip on the Daiwa. Rolled out as nice as you please
every cast.

Peter, a while ago you recommended the Scott SAS 14 ft for 9wt as a good
all-round budget two-hander for a beginner. What line would you suggest
for that rod for cold water (winter steelhead) fishing?

JR

Old October 31st, 2004, 10:49 PM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:59:12 -0800, JR
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote:

[...]

It is an excellent rod and not just for the beginner. A lot of these
mid-priced rods perform as well if not better than many high priced
models -- the Loop Blues, CND Customs & Experts, and the new Daiwas
are in this class as well.

I've never fished the PNW, and especially not in winter so I'm not
informed enough as to know how deep you'll have to go. As far as
winter performance is concerned, don't worry about the old memory
problems with Airflos, they work very well in the middle of our Great
Lakes winters and the running line has less memory than the Rios. Get
the tips version, it's worth it. There's two schools of thought for
beginners buying lines, get it heavy so you know when the rod's
loaded, or buy the right line and grow into it. I believe in the
latter. Airflo Delta 8/9 wt. tips version. If you want heavy, go
with the 9/10. In the dual rating system, the higher number is the
correct weight. (don't ask me why) In the triple system, it's the
middle number.

Skagit lines are popular out your way but they're usually constructed
rather than bought. Mine is the remanent belly of a WC 9/10/11 hooked
up to a 300 grain Rio BigBoy. It loads a 9 wt. very well.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Old November 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
bugcaster

"JR" wrote in message
.. .
bugcaster wrote:

Describes the latest trip to the Deschutes. I did not see anyone hook
up,
but later learned that a few had caught fish on the same day.

What section did you fish?

We fished upstream from Maupin off the bank last weekend. We hit a couple
good places that have produced fish in the past, but it was just a slow day.
I've heard that the folks downstream did better, down by Beavertail.

The Rainbow Room seemed friendlier and it demanded much of our attention
after fishing.

Old November 1st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Rob S.

Peter Charles wrote in message
[snip]

In June we had NE winds blowing that took out a couple of days as
well. There's already a striper two-hander on the market -- Greg and
I both have one -- a CND Atlantis. It's an 11' 11 wt. that'll handle
11/12 wt. lines. It's interesting to cast as it'll put out enough
line that head length becomes critical to ensuring that the cast rolls
out properly. Otherwise, around 100' or so, the cast can "crash".

The Daiwa 10 wt. I was using was original designed as an overhead rod
but it's superb on the spey as well. Daiwa makes a 12'6" 8 wt. that
would be great in the surf. That's a spey 8 wt. rating so figure on
regular 10 wt. lines to load it. I've overhead cast 120' in the yard
using Greg's 8 wt.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

I know there are probably entire web sites devoted to this, but do you
know if the CND Atlantis is used with a shooting head (I'm guessing
yes from the above)?
Or a WF?

I saw a video demo of some 2 handed 11wt rod with which the caster
seemed to use a stroke more like spin fishing, swinging the head
slowly behind him and then an overhand stroke that delivered about
150' of line out consistently.

This is "on my list" for next year.

-- Rob