Proposal for new fishing newsgroup

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Proposal for new fishing newsgroup

I have submitted a Request For Discussion (RFD) concerning the starting of a
newsgroup specifically designed for tournament fishing.

The discussion is going on now in: news.groups

Over the last few years I have found other fishing newsgroups to be
inundated with posts from people who have developed a new bait, want to talk
about that 2lb. bass they caught in their yard after the flood, or are
otherwise advertising something. It has become nearly impossible to find
worthwhile tournament info in any of the current newsgroups. As a matter of
fact I only propsed this after talking with several users who used to post
to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass and now find sifting through spam and off topic
posts to be too tedious.

My proposal is to create a newsgroup titled:
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

This would include ALL forms of fresh and sal****er tournament fishing,
fishing methods specific to tournaments, rankings and statistics of
paticipants and description and discussion about tournament trails.
International, national, regional and local information and discussions are
acceptable.

If you have an opinion, pro or con, concerning the establishment of this new
newsgroup please go to: news.groups and voice your thoughts.

Thank You,

Richard Hamel
Proponent
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Mon, 22 May 2006 17:48:39 GMT, "Alaskan420"
wrote:

I have submitted a Request For Discussion (RFD) concerning the starting of a
newsgroup specifically designed for tournament fishing.

The discussion is going on now in: news.groups

Over the last few years I have found other fishing newsgroups to be
inundated with posts from people who have developed a new bait, want to talk
about that 2lb. bass they caught in their yard after the flood, or are
otherwise advertising something. It has become nearly impossible to find
worthwhile tournament info in any of the current newsgroups. As a matter of
fact I only propsed this after talking with several users who used to post
to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass and now find sifting through spam and off topic
posts to be too tedious.

Funny, did not notice any posts from them endorsing your new group at
news.groups.

My proposal is to create a newsgroup titled:
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

This would include ALL forms of fresh and sal****er tournament fishing,
fishing methods specific to tournaments, rankings and statistics of
paticipants and description and discussion about tournament trails.
International, national, regional and local information and discussions are
acceptable.

If you have an opinion, pro or con, concerning the establishment of this new
newsgroup please go to: news.groups and voice your thoughts.

Thank You,

Richard Hamel
Proponent
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

Richard, to be honest, after watching how you are going about this,
and this is just my personal opinion, you should probably set up a web
page for tournaments information and discussions instead of a news
group. You might even get a sponsor or two to help out with it.

I have helped set up news groups before, notably
rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, a ham radio group. There was much
discussion and people for it before it was ever put out as an RFD. As
you have seen there is no discussion other than a few comments from
this group. You will need (IIRC) a minimum of 100 people voting for
it before it can be considered for group status. Unless you drum up a
lot more support from other groups, fishing clubs, tournament
associations, tourney anglers , fishing related web pages, tournament
pages and such before you will get the backing you will need. You
have already seen the start of the elite new newsgroup naysayers in
action. Don't let them get to you as some can be quite the obnoxious
ponce's (sp)

If you can get the support you need, submit it for a vote and get the
numbers of votes you need in the time frame allotted you may succeed.
I don't know how much you have researched forming a group but the hard
part is getting enough support for the vote long before you submit it
for a vote.

First thing to do is speak to the news group controllers about the
name of the new group. It needs to follow the hierarchy of names
already in use for the topic. There already has been negative
discussion on this.

Good luck and keep us informed on how it is going.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (The hell with my X-wife!)

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Hey... we support a new group! Let us know when it's up and going!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

[...]

As long as it doesn't screw tihe Rec.Outdoors.Fishing.Bass, I don't care one
way or the other. However, if it changes the status of this group, I will
be vehemently opposed to the formation of such a group!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

What the problem w/ putting the tournament chatter in this group? Does
there need to be another one? There already is touranment chatter in
this one.

Am I missing something?

Jim

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Jim Laumann" wrote in message
What the problem w/ putting the tournament chatter in this group? Does
there need to be another one? There already is touranment chatter in
this one.

Am I missing something?

Evidently he doesn't like the fact that we're a bunch of friends here and
want to share our fishing experiences with others. I guess that unless
you're fishing for money, you're not REALLY fishing!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Wow, you guys are really going overboard with the reactions here.

The purpose of rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments is to discuss all aspects
of tournament fishing. NOT JUST BASS!
There is no proposal or idea to combine the newsgroups in any way.

Tournament fishing is very different from recreational fishing. Just like a
football newsgroup there would be discussion of the pro's themselves as
well as methods, tournament trails and such. It would even include
discussion of fantasy fishing leagues such as that sponsored by ESPN.

Richard Hamel
Proponent
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Wow, you guys are really going overboard with the reactions here.

The purpose of rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments is to discuss all aspects
of tournament fishing. NOT JUST BASS!
There is no proposal or idea to combine the newsgroups in any way.

Tournament fishing is very different from recreational fishing. Just like
football newsgroup there would be discussion of the pro's themselves as
well as methods, tournament trails and such. It would even include
discussion of fantasy fishing leagues such as that sponsored by ESPN.

Richard Hamel
Proponent
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

Hey, if you want to have a group to discuss nothing but tournaments, go for
it, I don't care. As long as it doesn't have an effect on the ROFB, great!

Quite frankly, I doubt if you will find me there as I find most professional
sporting events to be less than interesting, that includes anything that
involves a ball or NASCAR. I never understood the whole fantasy league
thing either. I fish a couple of tournaments a year, both of them
semi-sponsored by this group. And even then, it's for the friendships that
I've made over the years, not the competitive fishing.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Here is the actual proposal...

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
unmoderated group rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the creation of the
unmoderated Usenet newsgroup, rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments .

NEWSGROUPS LINE:

rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments Discussion of all aspects of tournament
fishing.

RATIONALE: rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

Over the last two decades tournament fishing has quickly become a major
spectator sport.
Prize money awarded is quickly rivaling that of more traditional spectator
sports.
The establishment of thousands of local clubs and tournaments they sponsor
is evidence
of tournament fishings growing popularity. Further evidence of tournament
fishings
popularity can be inferred by the existence of fantasy fishing leagues
similar to baseball and football.
Whether it be freshwater mainstays such as Bass, Walleye, Crappie or
sal****er species
such Marlin, Sailfish and Shark tournament fishing is on the rise.
There is evidence of a need for a central newsgroup to discuss, organize and
disseminate
information concerning international, national, regional and local fishing
tournaments.

CHARTER: rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments is a place for people from around the
world to meet and discuss topics of interest to tournament fisherman.

Only discussion relating to the organization, announcement, scoring and
resulting practices of tournament fishing, both on the professional
and amateur levels, is allowed. Friendly guests are welcome. Posts
promoting merchandise, or discussion not related to tournaments are off
topic.
Readers wishing to discuss these topics may do so in the appropriate
newsgroups.
The rules of netiquette should be observed at all times. Irrelevant
profanity should be avoided but is
tolerated. Anonymous postings are allowed. Posters using consistent aliases
are allowed.

Since English is the standard language of the Big-8 UseNet hierarchies,
use of English is encouraged but not required. For binary content please
store on the web and include a URL. PGP signatures are allowed.

The newsgroup is unmoderated.

END CHARTER.

PROCEDU

The newsgroup creation process is currently undergoing revision. Please
refer to the newsgroup creation policies listed he

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...cies:proposals

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:

news.announce.newgroups
news.groups
rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
alt.fishing