Dechutes fishing trip

Old October 30th, 2003, 10:52 PM
gary gilman

Default Dechutes fishing trip

I just got back from fishing on th Deschutes near Maupin. Had 5 flat tires
on 1 and 1/2 days. My tires aren't really worn out, but that gravel road is
the worst I have ever seen. Been there before and not had any trouble.

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:02 AM
Sierra fisher

I spent 3 days there last week and meticulously stuck to driving at 12 to 15
mph. Took a long time to get anywhere, but I didn't have a flat. I did have
flats on previous trips. I didn't catch any steelhead. Did you?

"gary gilman" wrote in message
nk.net...
I just got back from fishing on th Deschutes near Maupin. Had 5 flat

tires
on 1 and 1/2 days. My tires aren't really worn out, but that gravel road

is
the worst I have ever seen. Been there before and not had any trouble.

---

Old October 31st, 2003, 02:26 AM
rw

gary gilman wrote:
I just got back from fishing on th Deschutes near Maupin. Had 5 flat tires
on 1 and 1/2 days. My tires aren't really worn out, but that gravel road is
the worst I have ever seen. Been there before and not had any trouble.

Slow down. :-)

Old October 31st, 2003, 02:57 AM
rakane at verizon dot net

Default Deschutes fishing trip

I fished last Sunday on the Deschutes and we (3) did not get take. The
owner of the Oasis commented what a weird year it has been. Out of twenty
fisherman, usually 15 or 16 will tell a story of at least a hookup. This
year, only 4 of 20 will get a hookup. We stopped in Welches and talked to
Bachman, and he commented on the weird season also. There was a difference
of opinion as to whether the fish were present in good numbers but were not
taking flies or the numbers are down.

The White River has been a culprit on the lower Deschutes with silt, but
there should be more fishing stories around Maupin.

RK

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:02 PM
Salmo Bytes

"rakane at verizon dot net" wrote in message .. .
I fished last Sunday on the Deschutes and we (3) did not get take. The
owner of the Oasis commented what a weird year it has been. Out of twenty
fisherman, usually 15 or 16 will tell a story of at least a hookup. This
year, only 4 of 20 will get a hookup. We stopped in Welches and talked to
Bachman, and he commented on the weird season also. There was a difference
of opinion as to whether the fish were present in good numbers but were not
taking flies or the numbers are down.

I just got back too: floated four days, from Warm Springs to Maupin.
Got to row all of it expcept the famous Whitehorse rapids, where
I chickened out, and had my more experienced partner dip the oars
in the mailstrom.

Had on hookup in 4 days on the river. But lost it.
Did catch some nice redside rainbows. Everybody was complaining.
Some of the guided trips we ran into had caught fish, but only
one or two fish per party, per 3-4 day trip.

I can still hear that railroad. It gets real loud in that
canyon, when you're camped 200 feet away.
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:11 PM
BJ Conner

Les Schwab got started by selling tires in that part of the country
that would resist the sharp rocks on the gravel roads. Some of the
soft rubber compounds in tires that are good on snow and ice have all
the resistance of butter to the flint and volcanic rocks in eastern
Oregon. Soft rubber tire and a drive around eastern Oregon is a
marvalous way to propect for obsidian.
Go to Les Schwab and tell them where your going and you want tires to
do it, End of Story.
I have tire trouble around Portland with nails than I have ever had
with rocks anywhere in Oregon.
I would not buy tires anywhere but Les Schwab, They see you drive in
with that donut spare on and they actually run out to get you car.
Actually don't buy tires there, I buy the best service I've ever seen.

http://www.matr.net/article-8162.html

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:49 PM
Sierra fisher

I used to buy my tires there (Schwab) but have had so many "stone bruises"
and flats on these roads, I am buying elsewhere. However, in Macks Canyon,
speed is critical
om...

Old November 1st, 2003, 12:25 AM
rakane at verizon dot net

That sounds like a great trip. I'd love to learn the lower river but the
learning curve is too great for only one trip a year. I wish there was a
series of videos shot from the cliffs showing the lines on the runs. That
combined with shots from over the rower's shoulders would give a new rower
an idea of where the "oh ****" rocks are located.

om...

Old November 1st, 2003, 03:03 PM
riverman

"rakane at verizon dot net" wrote in
message ...
That sounds like a great trip. I'd love to learn the lower river but the
learning curve is too great for only one trip a year. I wish there was a
series of videos shot from the cliffs showing the lines on the runs. That
combined with shots from over the rower's shoulders would give a new rower
an idea of where the "oh ****" rocks are located.

Damn, I love that river. I canoed it once back in the 80's; got turned
around on an eddy line at the top of Whitehorse and ran it backwards. The
photos from shore were precious: my mouth wide open almost as big as my
eyes. I didn't dump, through.

Later that week, I was the first ever to go over Husum Falls (White Salmon
river) in an open canoe. Sure wish I had been a flyfisherman back then,
though....

--riverman

Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
Roger Ohlund

"riverman" wrote in message

Later that week, I was the first ever to go over Husum Falls (White Salmon
river) in an open canoe. Sure wish I had been a flyfisherman back then,
though....

Just had an image flash before my eyes,

riverman going down Husum Falls in an open canoe equipped with a fly rod

/Roger