How often do ou catch bigger fish?

Old April 9th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Bob La Londe

Default How often do ou catch bigger fish?

I catch some keepers almost everytime out, but they are just that. Keepers.
Sure I have shown a few pictures of bigger fish, and other guys in the area
seem to weigh in some bigger fish at almost every tournament, but so far
this year my biggest personal catch was about 4.5lbs with the biggest in a
tournament of about 3.25. I seem to be catching a lot of fish in the 1.2 to
1.7 lb range, and a few dinks.

I read a lot of you guys making posts of catching 5 pound fish quite often,
but I am curious. How many times do you go out to catch the bigger fish,
and of those 5 pound + how many actually got put on the scale?

I have fished Yuma Bassmasters for almost a year and a half as a non-boater,
and I have noticed that almost everybody tends to substantially overestimate
the size of a fish. I try very hard to make a mental guess at the size of a
fish, and then check it with a scale. I usually come out pretty close. The
worst I have been off is with the bigger fish. Probably because I haven't
caught that many. I tend to see a 7.1-3 lb fish and think 8 lbs.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 9th, 2004, 04:24 PM
J Buck

I have fished Yuma Bassmasters for almost a year and a half as a
non-boater, and I have noticed that almost everybody tends to
substantially overestimate the size of a fish

What?? A fisherman who says his catch is bigger than it really is? This
can't be...I don't believe it!

Old April 9th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Eric Ryder

In 2003, in our 20 member NH club I won four of eight Ts. I took big bass
in one event (a #3-11), and my backseater took two (#5-6 and #4-14). Our
big bass for the eight events we
#2-13 May 4
#3-4 May 18
#3-11 June 8
#4-5 June 29
#4-2 July 20
#4-10 Aug 3
#5-6 Aug 24
#4-14 Sept 7

I go out for winning fish, but I'm not certain how often I'm on the biggest
available.

We weigh every fish caught, and it's a point of pride to try and guess the
weight - 3 oz. off is a wide miss after a few days on the water. Of course,
no eight pounders have gone missing in my boat!

Old April 9th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Andrew Kidd

Bob,
You are experiencing fishing tales at there very best. I have
experienced fisherman after fisherman telling me that they have caught these
huge bass that were over 5 lbs and 16 inches long. :-)
Until it hits the scale, I question every enthusiastic fishermans
estimate of weight. I tend to guess slightly low, having watched hundreds
(maybe thousands) of fish being weighed, but I almost always weigh a fish
that appears to be 2lb just to keep my enthusiasm from overwhelming my
guesstimates...
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old April 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM
alwayfishking

I had quite a lot of time on the water last year, well over 300 hours and
a 5lb bass here is probably equivelent to an 8-10 bass in Fla and Ca, I
think maybe 3-4 were 5lbs or better, a few that were 4 or better and a mess
of 2-3lbers mixed in and a endless supply of 1 lb and under, I like to
weigh my fish, anything that looks bigger than 2 lbs goes on the digital
scale.

Old April 9th, 2004, 10:28 PM
RichZ

30 someodd years of weighing 'em and culling 'em and photographing 'em and
all that stuff has made me pretty accurate most of the time. I'm even good
at watching a guy pull a limit (or a team limit) from a livewell and bag
'em, then guesstimating the weight of the catch -- usually within a half
pound. I used to win a lot of "bet you a buck" bets from other outdoor
writers in press pit at the Classic guessing the weights as guys
loaded their fish into the bag for the trip to the stage. Of course outdoor
writers are notoriously bad at paying up, so...

Still, every now and then I'll completely miss one. I remember one fish a
couple years ago that I swore was just under 7 that turned out to weigh
barely over 5. And in the other direction, I caught a 9-1 once that I only
guessed 8 pounds on.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Ken Blevins

Last year I crowned my self the "king of the one pounders" ,and rarely
caught anything over 3 lbs. [maybe twice]. This year I've got a 6 lb 14 oz
and a couple of 2 lb.er's and a couple of 1 lb.er's.But overall I don't
catch many big fish.

Ken

Old April 10th, 2004, 01:29 AM
John Kerr

I am not a dedicated "trophy" hunter anymore, I use to be more so, but
now it's just the fun of the hunt .
But every now and then I get one that warrants a weighing. I am
notoriously bad at over estimating the weight grin. Last year while
fishing with my kid, I caught a nice one...estimated it's weight "over"
by 2 lbs. . The kid hit it right one the money, he is really good at
weight estimates...wihin a couple ounces is the range for him. I
probably average about 2+ lbs. overall, so that means a bunch of 1 to 2
lbs, for every 6-8 lbs., but they are all fun!

Old April 10th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Marty

At the pond I shore fish most here in western NY, about 23% of the keeper
bass are two pound and over. If I was to chart it, it would, as expected,
resemble the typical pyramid shape. More 12" than 13", more 13 than 14, and
so on and so forth.

Old April 10th, 2004, 06:37 AM
J Buck

If I was to chart it, it would, as expected, resemble the typical
pyramid shape. More 12" than 13", more 13 than 14, and so on and so
forth

Most fishermen I know, when you ask them "how big was it?" go by length,
yet on this group, weight seems to be the overriding dimension. I
understand that, in terms of records...but I can get a lot better handle
on how 'big' a fish is by it's length (which is more of a visual thing)
than weight.