Crossing the Bar

Old April 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
The Old Bloke

Unfortunately, I have to agree

Regards
"Butchie" wrote in message
While the Narooma bar is certainly dangerous, it's like driving a car,
it requires some common sense. I have been across the bar at least 20
times and there has never been a problem. Why? Because we always go
for a walk along the breakwater and see how it is behaving, before we
put the boat in the water. If it's looks dicy, we don't go out, we
just stick to Wagonga Lake, or go surf fishing. The other aspect is
that often we have seen boats going out without anyone on board
wearing a life jacket, including kids. Dickheads! The other common
problem is overloaded boats. Last Christmas, we saw a 14' boat with 6
people on board trying to cross the bar. Like any other type of
activity, idiots will get hurt and those that give such things some
basic respect won't.

Regards,

Steve

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:32:37 GMT, "The Old Bloke"
wrote:

Hi Lindsay,

Yup, it keeps happening!

Regards
"Lindsay" wrote in message

Lindsay wrote:

The Old Bloke wrote:

Some years ago, maybe 10, there was a television documentary called
"Crossing the Bar", and it showed magnificent footage of bar crossing

And further to that, in yesterdays press:
http://narooma.yourguide.com.au/deta...680&y=2005&m=4

--
Scrap the 00 to post direct.

"We all should present legal cars. I'm embarrassed we've presented a car
that's ineligible." Mark Skaife, Chief Sook, HRT.12/11/04 (It must hurt
to say illegal!)

'Speed limit near schools lowered to 40 grams per student' - CNNNN

Old April 17th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Lindsay

Butchie wrote:

While the Narooma bar is certainly dangerous, it's like driving a car,
it requires some common sense. I have been across the bar at least 20
times and there has never been a problem. Why? Because we always go
for a walk along the breakwater and see how it is behaving, before we
put the boat in the water.

Lot of boaties see the charter boats going out before sunrise, and
think "well, if they can do it, so can i.." I've even been on one
particular charter boat and we got airborne at one stage going out.
Not too impressive for a supposed "pro" in a 10 metre f/glass boat!
One paying customer was lucky, as I grabbed him on his way either
into, or over, the transom. Wasnt "scary" for me,(I had my left arm
wrapped around what we called the "Jesus pole", but the guy i
"caught" wasnt impressed. I've had another poor experiance with this
charter boat, so I dont go out with 'em anymore...

If it's looks dicy, we don't go out, we
just stick to Wagonga Lake, or go surf fishing. The other aspect is
that often we have seen boats going out without anyone on board
wearing a life jacket, including kids. Dickheads! The other common
problem is overloaded boats. Last Christmas, we saw a 14' boat with 6
people on board trying to cross the bar. Like any other type of
activity, idiots will get hurt and those that give such things some
basic respect won't.

Someone with some sence!!

I was speaking to a bloke from central NSW a month ago (whilst I
was rock fishing off the bar), and he was telling me about how he
and 3 mates were going out in a 14 footer... Thats just asking for
trouble imho. They may get out, but then they gotta get back in...

Narooma is my favorite holiday spot, I've been there over 20
times, and dont bother fishing anywhere else..

I have heaps of pics.. one of my favorites is
http://snotty.customer.netspace.net..../Dscf1854.html
the bar on a good morning (early march this year..)

Another, on an average day
http://www.hornet.net.au/pics/narooma04/cwdata/239.html

I have one here somewhere here of waves caused by cyclone swell
breaking over the top of the rock walls... that was impresive!
I only lasted 20 mins fishing that day...

Regards to all

Lindsay

Old May 4th, 2005, 10:49 AM
The Old Bloke

Thanks to all,

I found the VCR, which had passed into haze since my stroke. Sorry to
bother you kind people.

Regards

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message
Some years ago, maybe 10, there was a television documentary called
"Crossing the Bar", and it showed magnificent footage of bar crossing
accidents in Eastern Australia. ABC searched their archives but it turns
out that the ABC did not screen it.

A long shot, but does anyone remember this docu, what channel, and do you
have a copy?

Regards