Does anyone tie or use tube flies?

Old May 14th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Chas Wade

Default Does anyone tie or use tube flies?

"Padishar Creel" wrote:
I have been into tube flies for a while now and I haven't seen many
posts
about tube flies. Anyone have some favorite patterns, hints on their
use,
or experiences to share?

Chris

Interesting you'd bring this up now. I'm in the process of tying some
giant dahlberg divers and mudlers on tubes for pike. I use the tubes
from Q-tips, and like the way they work. One of the problems I've run
into is short strikes, and I think I'm going to try moving the hook
further back in the fly just by putting an empty tube between the fly
and the hook.

I think I posted pictures of these flies a year ago, I tie them as
large as I can with the longest deer hair I can find by tying in near
the tips instead of in the middle. The resulting flies are just over 2
inches in diameter, and they really bring the big pike to the surface.

I use large Octopus hooks instead of the usual long shank hooks because
I think they get better hookups, and because they weigh less than the
hook I'd need to tie these monsters in the usual way.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Padishar Creel

Chas, I too use q-tips as well and some hobby tubing (I can make them longer
that way if I use the hobby tubing). The Octopus hooks are exactly what I
have been using. I notice when I get a strike, the offset hook tends to
release the tube better and the toothy devils don't eat up my flies as
quickly. For the hookkeeper, I have found fuel line for hobby gas engines
to be ideal (I used to use the material mentioned in the tube fly manual but
you had to boil it to shrink it around the shank of the hook, with fuel line
you don't have to). Also, I pack a bobbin threader, when on the water, to
assist me in getting the leader thru the tube. I use the Palomar knot --
it gives it more bulk in the hook keeper (all this IMHO, of course).

Chris

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
s.com...

Old May 14th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Jamie Heim

Most of my early season trolling is done with tube flies. Have a look at
some of my favorite patterns here--
http://southshoreflyfishing.com/tubes.html

--
Regards,
Jamie 8^)

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
Chas, I too use q-tips as well and some hobby tubing (I can make them

longer
that way if I use the hobby tubing). The Octopus hooks are exactly what I
have been using. I notice when I get a strike, the offset hook tends to
release the tube better and the toothy devils don't eat up my flies as
quickly. For the hookkeeper, I have found fuel line for hobby gas engines
to be ideal (I used to use the material mentioned in the tube fly manual

but
you had to boil it to shrink it around the shank of the hook, with fuel

line
you don't have to). Also, I pack a bobbin threader, when on the water, to
assist me in getting the leader thru the tube. I use the Palomar knot --
it gives it more bulk in the hook keeper (all this IMHO, of course).

Chris

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
s.com...

Old May 15th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Padishar Creel

I see that you dress the hook as well. I haven't done that and I can see it
makes a much nicer fly. Thanks for your response, you have some nice
patterns on your website.

Chris

"Jamie Heim" wrote in message
[...]

"Chas Wade" wrote in message