Off Topic, Salmon Season

Old May 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Default Off Topic, Salmon Season

It's hard to believe we can get fresh Copper River Sockeye Salmon
here in landlocked corn country but it's true and it's time. The
best salmon of the year just showed up here in Chambana and we'll
be able to get it for about a month or so. We prepare it several
different ways but here's our favorite.

Slow-Roasted Salmon with Creamed Cucumbers

Salmon Fillet
Butter
Fresh Ginger
Shallot
English Cucumbers
Chardonnay
Lemon
Creme Fraiche
Chives

1. Melt 2 Tbs butter over low heat and cook ginger and shallots until
soft. Add 2 cucumbers sliced 1/4 inch thick and saute translucent.

2. Place cucumbers on the bottom of a baking dish just large enough to
hold the salmon fillet. Place salmon fillet on top of the cucumbers
and pour 1/2 cup chardonnay around the salmon. Add salt, pepper and
the juice of half a lemon, then cover with parchment paper and cook
in a 200 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.

3. Put the salmon on a serving dish and put the cucumbers and chardonnay
back in the same pan you sauteed them in. Cook it down to concentrate
the chardonnay, about 5-10 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup creme fraiche
and cook until creamy. Add salt, pepper, the juice of the other half
of lemon and pour it over the salmon with a sprinkling of chives.

4. Serve with the rest of the bottle of chardonnay and some boiled new
potatoes.

And the Joy of the Season to you rofb !!

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
[...]

Cook it the way the Alaskans do. Smear some mayonaise on the fillet, shake
some Paul Prudhomes Salmon seasoning on it and grill till done. Slide the
spatula between the meat and skin, and serve with beverage of choice. And
Copper River salmon are no better than any of the other Sockeye salmoin
runs, except they have better ad agency. Also a smear of Mayo and a dusting
of dill also works. If you have Kokanee in your area, they are the same
fish, but just a freshwater living version.

Old May 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Calif Bill wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
Slow-Roasted Salmon with Creamed Cucumbers
recipe snipped

Cook it the way the Alaskans do. Smear some mayonaise on the fillet, shake
some Paul Prudhomes Salmon seasoning on it and grill till done. Slide the
spatula between the meat and skin, and serve with beverage of choice. And
Copper River salmon are no better than any of the other Sockeye salmoin
runs, except they have better ad agency. Also a smear of Mayo and a dusting
of dill also works. If you have Kokanee in your area, they are the same
fish, but just a freshwater living version.

Oh yeah, we'll cook it several different ways while it's in its
month-long season, including on the grill. And you're right, fresh
never frozen, wild-caught salmon is fresh never frozen, wild-caught
salmon no matter where it comes from but Copper River is what we get
here in Urbana, Illinois and that's kind of amazing.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
news
Calif Bill wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
[...]

Copper River just has a good ad agency. they are Alaskan Sockeye salmon.
Never fished the Copper River, but Alaskans I know say is a scary river. So
much sand and silt in it, that if you fall in, you most likely die. Even
with a PFD, weights you down enough to sink you. We fished Woverine Creek
out of Kenai last year. You mostly snag a Sockeye, as they are mostly
plankton eaters. Woverine Creek is a fly in area, and you fish with a
couple of mama bears with cubs trying to catch fish also. One mama nursed
her two cups about 30' from us. Worth all of the $316 a person for the
trip. Plus got to be co pilot in a older rotary engined Otter.

Old May 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Donn Senn

On Sat, 19 May 2007 19:38:45 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Oh yeah, we'll cook it several different ways while it's in its
month-long season, including on the grill. And you're right, fresh
never frozen, wild-caught salmon is fresh never frozen, wild-caught
salmon no matter where it comes from but Copper River is what we get
here in Urbana, Illinois and that's kind of amazing.

Where in Urbana, Ken?
Donn
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Donn Senn wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
... And you're right, fresh
never frozen, wild-caught salmon is fresh never frozen, wild-caught
salmon no matter where it comes from but Copper River is what we get
here in Urbana, Illinois and that's kind of amazing.

Where in Urbana, Ken?

At the Urbana Schnucks. It's a little pricey, $24.99/lb., but for
the next month it'll be the best piece of fish in town. I don't know
for sure but I assume you can get it at the Champaign Schnucks too.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

Donn Senn wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
... And you're right, fresh
never frozen, wild-caught salmon is fresh never frozen, wild-caught
salmon no matter where it comes from but Copper River is what we get
here in Urbana, Illinois and that's kind of amazing.

Where in Urbana, Ken?

At the Urbana Schnucks. It's a little pricey, $24.99/lb., but for
the next month it'll be the best piece of fish in town. I don't know
for sure but I assume you can get it at the Champaign Schnucks too.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Cheaper than I paid. 3 fish, wife does not fish, but still took her with
me. 3x 6# sockeye = $632.