The midges.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Default The midges.

I did the sorting last night and dropped off your packages at the
postoffice on my way in this morning.
So start looking for them in the mail in a few days.

Thank you for participating and patience.

I didnt take to time to look at the flies yet, so that will have to
happen tonight.

There are a few left over. Im planning to mail them to that
schoolteacher if someone can mail
me his address.

Old May 6th, 2004, 03:36 AM
pw

I did the sorting last night and dropped off your packages at the
postoffice on my way in this morning.
So start looking for them in the mail in a few days.

Thank you for participating and patience.

I didnt take to time to look at the flies yet, so that will have to
happen tonight.

There are a few left over. Im planning to mail them to that
schoolteacher if someone can mail
me his address.

Got them Svend! Wow, nice grouping (Young Frankenstein. Pffft!
Pffft! Pffft! :-)

Best swap to date IMHO!

Sure learned a bunch and a lot about some clever packaging! How did
Tony W do that? Hans - I have to admit it took me a few to figure out
how to open that box! g

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Josh Blair

Svend Tang-Petersen wrote in message ...
I did the sorting last night and dropped off your packages at the
postoffice on my way in this morning.
So start looking for them in the mail in a few days.

Thank you for participating and patience.

I didnt take to time to look at the flies yet, so that will have to
happen tonight.

There are a few left over. Im planning to mail them to that
schoolteacher if someone can mail
me his address.

Svend,

Thanks for going to all of the trouble to organize the swap.

Great flies everyone. I think that I need to work on the packaging of
my flies next time.

Here are the recipes for the 2 patterns that I submitted for the Midge
Swap. Let me know if you have any questions.

HOOK: Tiemco 200R, Daichii 1270, Dai-Riki 270 #20-#24.
THREAD: Red 8/0.
BODY: Red tying thread, wrapped flat along the hook shank,
and then twisted and wrapped in separated spirals to
the eye of the hook.

Step 1.

Unwind the thread counterclockwise so it will lay flat on the hook
shank, and wrap evenly toward the back of the hook shank. Trim the
starting thread at a point just over the hook barb, and take several
tight turns over that point.

Step 2.

Twist the thread clockwise until it is tight and round, and wrap
forward with evenly spaced spiral wraps. The gap between each wrap
should be about twice the diameter of the thread.

Step 3.

Make a two- or three- turn whip-finish. Midge larvae do not have a
pronounced head, so avoid a heavy thread buildup when you finish the
fly. Lacquer the entire fly twice with thin head cement. The first
coating will soak in. the second coating will result in some buildup
and produce a slightly translucent effect.

This fly was developed (by Andy Kim) to imitate the red midge larvae
found in many fertile tailwater fisheries. Hold one of these in your
hand next to the real thing, and you'll be amazed at the duplication.
This fly should be fished deep, early and late in the day when midge
pupae are not hatching. In a two-fly rig, put this one on the bottom,
about 12 inches below the top fly. Midge larvae also come in many
other colors. Try this fly in olive, brown, gray, and cream colors.

Information courtesy of Rick Takahashi & www.flyfisherman.com

======================================

HOOK: Tiemco 200R, Daichii 1270, Dai-Riki 270 #18-#22.
THREAD: Red 8/0.
BODY: Red tying thread
THORAX: Collar of Peacock Herl
HEAD: Spirit River Mercury Bead (xsmall)
RIB: Fine wire

Step 1: Put bead on hook, set hook in vise
Step 2: Start thread at head
Step 3: Tie in wire and wrap to back of bend
Step 4: wrap back toward head in tight touching wraps
Step 5: Wrap wire rib forward in even spacing
Step 6: Tie over rib at head and break off wire
Step 7: Tie in peacock herl, make 2 or 3 wraps for collar ending at
bead
Step 8: Tie off peacock, trim peacock
Step 9: Whip finish just behind bead

Regards,

Josh Blair
SoftBrands Manufacturing
Software Developer
(720) 479-3610
(303) 918-3304 Cell
DemandStream
Leading the Lean Generation Worldwide
Americas China Europe India.

Old May 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM
tony weall

its just a straw, pliers and kitchen stove, i got the idea from riverman
"pw" wrote in message

I did the sorting last night and dropped off your packages at the
postoffice on my way in this morning.
So start looking for them in the mail in a few days.

Thank you for participating and patience.

I didnt take to time to look at the flies yet, so that will have to
happen tonight.

There are a few left over. Im planning to mail them to that
schoolteacher if someone can mail
me his address.

Got them Svend! Wow, nice grouping (Young Frankenstein. Pffft!
Pffft! Pffft! :-)

Best swap to date IMHO!

Sure learned a bunch and a lot about some clever packaging! How did
Tony W do that? Hans - I have to admit it took me a few to figure out
how to open that box! g

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:00 AM
tony weall

got them today beautifull tying fellas i needed magnifying glasses just to
see a couple of them buggered if i know how you blokes can do such a fine
job my fat thumbs get in the way .
thanks svend for hosting the swap
tony