Colorado Fly Fishing

Old November 21st, 2003, 04:31 AM
Robert Brinson

Default Colorado Fly Fishing

I still consider myself somewhat of a newcommer to fly fishing having only
been at it now for a little over a year. However, I truly enjoy it. My
local waters are the tailwaters formed by the dam system in Arkansas.
However, next year, I would like to take a vacation of sorts that would be
just for me and my fly rod. I have been considering Colorado, as that would
be a fairly easy drive and my wife and I have friends in the Colorado
Springs area. So, she could visit with them while I go commune with the
trout.

I don't know anyone with fly fishing experience in Colorado, though. So, I
thought I would ask this group if anyone has any experience there and has
suggestions for times, places, guides, etc. I know there were some fires
there recently, but I do not know if this has affected the fly fishing. I
recently saw a couple of episodes of the Fly Fishing Masters tournament on
OLN, and they were fishing the Little Snake River at Three Forks Ranch. I
was very impressed by the size and quantity of the trout they were landing.
However, Three Forks is a little pricey for my budget. Thanks for any
suggestions.
--
Robert Brinson
Linux - the choice of a GNU generation!
Old November 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Fred Blair

Try http://www.royalgorgeanglers.com/ they are in Canon City and do work
on the Arkansas River that runs through that area. It is a brown trout
river, with very few rainbows. There are plenty of campgrounds on that
section of the river and lots of public access to the river. The river
flows very a great deal and you can get hourly updates at
http://dwr.state.co.us/Hydrology/flow_search.asp . Just look at a Colorado
map and pick where you might be fishing and find stations close to that
area. There are a lot of feeder streams into the river so the flows vary
all along the river. Flows below 4-500 ft give you a lot of wading areas.

Old November 22nd, 2003, 12:02 AM
Graham Knight

Robert Brinson wrote:
I have been considering Colorado, as that would
be a fairly easy drive and my wife and I have friends in the Colorado
Springs area.

Near Colorado Springs there are some very nice stretches of the Platte
River. Eleven Mile Canyon is a great stretch of water with lots of large
fish. The closer you are to the dam the better. Upriver a bit is the
"Dream Stream" - the section of river in between Spinney and Eleven Mile
Reserviours. That stretch hasn't been fishing quite as well lately, but
is usually good for a number of fish and at least one or two really nice
sized ones. Downstream is Cheeseman Canyon and the Deckers area.
Cheeseman was one of the finest places around, but the fires really
clogged it up. Hoping for a rebound next year. You need to take a pretty
good hike to get into Cheeseman Canyon too - which adds to the quality
of the fishing.

I don't use guides, so have no real recommendations in that department,
but if you check the fishing report at the Blue Quill angler
http://www.bluequillangler.com/stream.html you will find pattern
recomendations that are *usually* pretty spot-on.

If you bring one fly to the area make it a size 24 or 26 gray RS-2.
Trail that with a size 24 or 26 gray RS-2 and you'll usually do pretty
well - if you get my drift. ;-)

Not sure what time of year you were planning, but the trico hatch in
eleven mile canyon is a fly-fisherman's dream come true. Bring plenty of
trico patterns and some PMD's if your fly is dry.

If you were going to pay for play I'd consider boxwood gulch.
http://www.boxwoodgulch.com/

Graham

--

And as an afterthought, this must too be told,
Some people are taking pure bull****, and turning it into gold.

What's happening in Idledale? Not Much! http://www.idledale.com/

Old November 23rd, 2003, 02:53 AM
Oldfrat

Graham has given you great advice. I will get you to some places where
there a big trout to be caught and keep you out of the "secret" places we
Coloradans like to keep to ourselves. Agreat compromise.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:24 PM
Willi

Robert Brinson wrote:

I don't know anyone with fly fishing experience in Colorado, though. So, I
thought I would ask this group if anyone has any experience there and has
suggestions for times, places, guides, etc. I know there were some fires
there recently, but I do not know if this has affected the fly fishing. I
recently saw a couple of episodes of the Fly Fishing Masters tournament on
OLN, and they were fishing the Little Snake River at Three Forks Ranch. I
was very impressed by the size and quantity of the trout they were landing.
However, Three Forks is a little pricey for my budget. Thanks for any
suggestions.

I saw that program too. Not a realistic situation for public waters in
Colorado (or any other public water I know of in the States). Fed fish.

Colorado isn't as famous for great fishing as Montana or Wyoming. There
are limited large waters with large fish. However, IMO, Colorado has
what might be the best small stream/river fishing in the States.

Willi

Old November 24th, 2003, 04:43 PM
DaveMohnsen

Robert Brinson wrote:
[...]

Hi Robert,
Decent advice from Graham about Eleven Mile Canyon. Depending on when you
visit Colorado, you really need to consider water flows for wherever you
visit.

I looked at the Three Forks Ranch website. "Pricey" you say. Me thinks so
.. . .but you get "custom built" fish.

Probably important to you if you are fairly new to fly fishing, in Colorado,
is to get a guide for at least a half day . . .and practice your casting . .
..before you get here . . .with wind.
And the flies can get kinda small out this way. Seems for my technical
fishin' I start at a size 18 and then go smaller . . .translation . . .I
can't catch crap, with bigger stuff . . .depending on the day.

Heh . . .heh . . . but can catch stuff with sizes 4,6,8,10, in the streamer
and nymph stuff. (did I mention a guide for a half day?)

Here in Colorado, typically, what many have to adjust to is the altitude. I
wouldn't unpack in Colorado Springs and head "up" without a day or so,
unless you are used to about 6000 ft to start. The air gets "skinny"
fairly quick.

Don't rule out the Arkansas River. Starts near Leadville, Colorado, and I
think finally ends up in the Mississippi.

Here are a few websites if you use Colorado Springs as a base.
http://www.anglerscovey.com
Colorado Springs, CO
Used to teach fly fishing for them . . . good folks . . .no
affiliation now.
http://www.royalgorgeanglers.com
Canon City,CO
Have talked to them occasionally. Straight forward info.
http://www.arkanglers.com
Salida, CO
Always seem helpful. . .seems I talk to them most in the
Spring for the Caddis hatch info (g)

Will give you a start, with the other posters.
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Old November 24th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Michael P. Thompson

On 11/24/03 9:43 AM, in article
.net, "DaveMohnsen"
wrote:

Don't rule out the Arkansas River. Starts near Leadville, Colorado, and I
think finally ends up in the Mississippi.

There is some good, underrated fishing on the Arkansas, though not on all
stretches. I echo the advice to get a guide on your first day. Unless you
have a few weeks to putter around, this is the best way to learn the water
and catch some fish.

I've been following this thread with interest, and invite anybody who wants
to discuss flyfishing specifically in Colorado to join the Colorado
Flyfishing Forum. See http://www.coloradoflyfishing.us for more information.

Tight lines!