making your own leader

Old December 18th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Tim J.

Default making your own leader

"daytripper" wrote...
rw wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Hi rw,
I am not familiar with the Fish Pimp, but if Bruiser is
using one they must be good.

I'm sure the basic design is familiar to you, Ernie. It's a roughly
oblong float with a longitudinal slot, filled with a piece of flexible
tube. You pull on the ends of the tube and slip the leader in behind it.

The crucial advantage of the Fish Pimp (unfortunate name), compared to
similar designs I've seen, is that the float is very, very light. It not
only floats more weight, but it's more sensitive to takes (although
maybe not as sensitive as yarn).

BTW, I'd like to see a new design of knotless leaders. They would have a
more radically tapered cross section, down to "tippet size in about 3
ft. A very long tippet helps reduce drag when nymphing, and it's not
really all that bad to cast if you switch to dry flies.

A couple of decades ago Maxima had a line of 9' 6x knotless tapered leaders
with a stout but short butt quickly tapering down to around a 4x tippet
diameter, followed by a couple of yards of 5.5-6x. These were and remain the
wispiest of tapers I ever fished.

Back then, before I ever experimented with the Dark Side of wet flies, they
were only good for casting classic Catskill dries never larger than a 12 and
presented on near windless days.

And "cocked wing wind-up" was almost always fatal.

I don't even know if Maxima still sells tapered leaders, but your description
sounds like a dead match...

I haven't seen any Maxima tapered leaders, but I like Maxima Chameleon for tying
up leaders for just the reasons you mention - the presentation with a dry is
second to none, IMLE. I don't go any smaller than their 5X tippet because of the
reduced strength compared to other brands. Maxima 5X is rated at 3.0 lbs
compared to 3.8 for most others, but their 5X is VERY wispy.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 19th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Tim J. wrote:

I haven't seen any Maxima tapered leaders

I believe Maxima still makes leaders. I've got two in my leader wallet
right now. They have a Chameleon (stiff) butt and tapered section
seamlessly fused to an Ultragreen (limp) tippet.

Mu
Old December 21st, 2003, 04:34 AM
egildone

Mike,

Thanks for the great link!

--
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"steve sullivan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I would like to start making my own leader. How much will using a
double nail knot affect things? I would probably use flourocarbon (what
are the best? Is berkely vanish good? It is fairly cheap at $9 for 250
yards. So assuming that a double nail not is ok, what I am looking for
as an answer would be (for instance)
"to get a 6 pound test 8 foot leader, use 3 feet of 10 pound, 3 feet of
8 pound leader, and 2 feet of 6 pound leader.

Go here;
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbette...calc/index.php

TL
MC

Old December 21st, 2003, 07:30 AM
Mike Connor

"egildone" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Mike,

Thanks for the great link!

My pleasure.

TL
MC

Old December 21st, 2003, 11:43 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"egildone" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Mike,

Thanks for the great link!

My pleasure.

TL
MC

mikey: see how fascinating roff can be if we just stay on topic with
every single one of our posts?

god, that exchange was scintillating!

yfitons
wayno

Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:25 AM
Mike Connor

"Wayne Harrison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.com...
SNIP
mikey: see how fascinating roff can be if we just stay on topic with
every single one of our posts?

god, that exchange was scintillating!

yfitons
wayno

I have never suggested that people should stay on topic. It would be quite
useless to do so. Donīt know where you got that idea.

The exchange may not have been accompanied by any overwhelming display of
coruscation, but it was nevertheless extremely gratifying. The gentleman
said thanks, and expressed his pleasure, for something he enjoyed getting. I
replied in kind. That is simply a nice thing to do, and pleasant for the
participants.

Real gems may scintillate, and so may tawdry baubles.

"In the beginning there was man, and man looked up, and said "Let there be
Gods!". And then the **** hit the fan".
(Anon.)

TL
MC

Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:38 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor wrote:

I have never suggested that people should stay on topic. It would be quite
useless to do so. Donīt know where you got that idea. ...

That wasn't aimed at you, Mike. It was a deliberately misdirected,
backhanded swipe at the Putz for giving Opie's new girlfriend a hard
time. The whole point of the exercise was to elicit the first two
sentences of your post. You see, HE can say that all day long, but it
doesn't carry near the weight in the court of roffian opinion as your
"unsolicited" testimony.

****in' lawyers.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:06 AM
Mike Connor

"Ken Fortenberry" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag y.com...
SNIP

****in' lawyers.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Nope! Wont do that, it is about as productive as trying to screw solicitors.

TL
MC

Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:11 PM
Ernie

Cousin Wayne,
The topic is Making Your Own Leader, not "

.com...