Sayonara Sling

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Default Sayonara Sling

Saturday, we had our club's "Spring Fling" with guest speaker Mark
Sedotti. I watched this man throw a 14" fly with an 8wt Sage approx
165 feet with no backcast. He used the same fly on a 6wt with a DT
line to chuck it at a target (landed within 6") 130 feet away.
His technique could be used with any rod/fly combination. It will
give you the distance and, since the fly rod tip ends up pointed right
at the target, the accuracy to hit that riser or bait ball. Friggen
awesome.
Frank Reid
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-04-21, Frank Reid wrote:

.....I watched this man throw a 14" fly......

What the heck is a 14" fly? Is it for sal****er? I'd be happy to catch a
fish that big.

nb
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

.....I watched this man throw a 14" fly......

What the heck is a 14" fly? *Is it for sal****er? *I'd be happy to catch a
fish that big. *

He uses it for stripers. He's got one that is a 12" rainbow trout
pattern that he uses for pike.
Frank Reid

Old April 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 2008-04-21, Frank Reid wrote:

.....I watched this man throw a 14" fly......

What the heck is a 14" fly?

A dead chicken on a grappling hook...

With respect to both Mark and Frank, this isn't something for FW
fishers, generally, and really, IMO, it's more "casting" than
"flyfishing" - I don't mean "tournament casting," I mean "casting" as in
fishing. And FWIW, he didn't come up with it, as I've heard it, to
avoid backcasting, it came about because of problems with his forward
cast (an injury). IAC, IIRC, he, just like Lefty, has book.

Is it for sal****er?

Pretty much exclusively. I'm sure some wiseass will point out a
situation, such as when pigs fly, when it would be the perfect thing for
a small brook of 8" fish, but...

I'd be happy to catch a fish that big.

nb

TC,
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

On 2008-04-21, Frank Reid wrote:

.....I watched this man throw a 14" fly......

What the heck is a 14" fly?

A dead chicken on a grappling hook...

With respect to both Mark and Frank, this isn't something for FW
fishers, generally, and really, IMO, it's more "casting" than
"flyfishing" - I don't mean "tournament casting," I mean "casting" as in
fishing. And FWIW, he didn't come up with it, as I've heard it, to
avoid backcasting, it came about because of problems with his forward
cast (an injury). IAC, IIRC, he, just like Lefty, has book.

Is it for sal****er?

Pretty much exclusively. I'm sure some wiseass will point out a
situation, such as when pigs fly, when it would be the perfect thing for
a small brook of 8" fish, but...

Muskellunge.

Wolfgang
who can think of few morons more fun than those who have never done anything
and know everything.

Old April 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
vincent norris

Frank, I trust you will be comning to Penns next month to demonstrate that
stuff to us.

vince

Old April 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Frank, I *trust you will be comning to Penns next month to demonstrate that
stuff to us.

I will be at Penns come hell or high water (the later being more
probable). I will demonstrate my variation of the Sayonara Sling,
which looks suspiciously like drinking large quatities of Singapore
Slings.
Frank Reid