I need help.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Default I need help.

Halfordian Golfer wrote:

On Apr 22, 8:31 am, Conan The Librarian wrote:

Halfordian Golfer wrote:

On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, tim wrote:

The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer full of fish

2nd year of fishing and you're already dissing 10,000 years of angling
for subsistence? Where did you learn this crap?

So when was the last time you fished "for subsistence"?

I would, respectfully, suggest golf.

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you
can stand the guilt.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)

Dude starts fishing, hasn't even caught a fish, and is already
bitching about people that are catching and keeping fish legally.

First of all, how do you know they caught and kept them *legally*?

Secondly, I took his comments to mean, "Damn, they were catching
them on bait but I can't get a hit on flies. I hate that."

Of course, given your obession, I can see how you read his comments
as hatred of the first degree. Eye of the beholder, projection, and all
that.

[snippety doo dah day]

1) Angling has a rich and long tradition. It is, literally, hunting
for fish. Only in the last 20-30 years has angling taken on purely
sporting ramifications.

Yeah, I know what you mean. How I long for the days when you could
keep stringers of 50-60 fish ("for subsistence") without guilt.

In the days before angling became wet-golf
fishing for biological golf balls, anyone who fished was considered a
brother of the angle. We'd say: "Guy fishes, must be a good guy". We
respected the sport and especially the wild animal we were killing in
our pursuit. We understood what wild meant (ask LaCourse, he just got
a refresher) and we would go out of our way to hike around a brother
who was fishing in a spot as to not ruin his fishing. Fishing in the
last 30 years has degraded in to a competitive pursuit, the very last
thing we needed it to become.

And you don't think the guys we see in pictures showing off their
stringers of fish were competitive?

Setting aside your pathological guilt complex for the moment, your
whole "argument" reads like little more than "back in the good ole days,
men were men blah, blah, blah" with a slightly different twist.

What I find so odd is that the majority of the folks reading this
*do* care and respect the fish they pursue. And they do not do it
competitively. Yet you feel compelled to broad brush everyone who
practices C'n'R as some sort of Johnny Come Lately Orvis pimp.

It says more about you than anyone you're ostensibly targeting with
your comments.

Seriously: Grasshopper - catch a grasshopper and than catch a fish,
come back and we will talk.

Seriously, I ask you again: When was the last time you fished for
subsistence?

Chuck Vance

Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you can
stand the guilt.

He can't. That may be what tipped him over the edge. On the other hand,
craziness builds upon itself; it's a classic positive feedback loop. At the
end of the day, where and when it started is moot.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)

Ah, if only there was enough water!

Well, first you build this humongous pipeline ...

Chuck Vance
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Apr 22, 9:50*am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Dude starts fishing, hasn't even caught a fish, and is already
bitching about people that are catching and keeping fish legally. My
question "where did you learn this crap?" is not rhetorical.

Dude I think your comprehension is a little off. Like Conan, I think
it was more of "the bait casters are catching fish but I'm not."
statement and what does he need to do to start catching a stringer
full. A little chill time might be appropriate.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-04-22, Conan The Librarian wrote:

Seriously, I ask you again: When was the last time you fished for
subsistence?

I'd starve to death.

OTOH, it's the only reason I fish. Screw a buncha catch and release. If I
catch a legal fish, I'm gonna eat it. I don't quite understand the romantic
notion of fishing. What? A 200lb man with $500 worth of hardware lands a
2lb fish. Big whoop. To some, I guess. If that's their thing, so be it.

I have nothing against CnR. If most folks didn't do it, I have no doubt
most streams would be fished out in no time. I've seen it happen. Last time
I went fishing, at a popular camping destination that was once remote and
rarely crowded, the fishermen were shoulder to shoulder. Now, with RV
parking, reservations, etc, the place is so crowded the fish have to be
restocked ever morning. I caught my two fish (6 limit) in about 3 mins and
left. It was depressing.

Recently, I stopped a local fishing guide who was returning from scouting
the river below my place. We talked a bit, me asking if the fish were
biting, etc. I happened to mention my taking up fly fishing so I could
catch a few trout to eat. She got all serious and somewhat indignant that
anyone would actually keep a fish and not release it and went into a long
diatribe about how the fish were not infinite, yada yada. I said I'd heard
this river was loaded with fish and the fishing pressure was light. She
said that was the case a couple years ago. Now, fishing pressure was heavy
and CnR was the only solution. I didn't say anything, but thought it rather
funny and a bit hipocritical, as her boss, who owns three fishing shops, is
out stumping up and down the front range at TU seminars to get people to
drive hundreds of miles to this river so she can charge $300 day to guide
them. Fishing pressure, indeed.

So far, the fish, here, have nothing to fear from me.

nb

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Wolfgang wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you can
stand the guilt.

He can't. That may be what tipped him over the edge. On the other
hand, craziness builds upon itself; it's a classic positive feedback
loop. At the end of the day, where and when it started is moot.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)

Ah, if only there was enough water!

Well, first you build this humongous pipeline ...

And then you attach it to an enormous vacuum generator. Hm......where we
gonna get one of those? Anything come to mind, timmie?

Wolfgang
get it? vacuum? COME TO MIND.......timmie? )

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

.. .
On 2008-04-22, Conan The Librarian wrote:

[...]

From our "Fresh Point of View on a Hot New Topic" desk.

So far, the fish, here, have nothing to fear from me.

Nor philosophers.

Wolfgang

Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

I said I'd heard
this river was loaded with fish and the fishing pressure was light. She
said that was the case a couple years ago. Now, fishing pressure was heavy
and CnR was the only solution. I didn't say anything, but thought it rather
funny and a bit hipocritical, as her boss, who owns three fishing shops, is
out stumping up and down the front range at TU seminars to get people to
drive hundreds of miles to this river so she can charge $300 day to guide
them. Fishing pressure, indeed.

Finally. Someone who gets it.

Tim - seriously if you want to learn how to flyfish start with bait
and never, ever, let anyone tell you or start believing that
flyfishing is 'superior' to other kinds of fishing. It's not. It's
just a different way to get your 'bait' in front of the fish. If you
have no intention of ever killing a fish to eat I'd suggest not even
taking it up. As soon as you realize this is a blood sport that
involves stressing, maiming and killing a wild animal purely for sport
the better. The flyfishing guys'll sugar coat it.

--
TBone
A cash flow runs through it.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 21, 7:06 pm, tim wrote:
I have been out FF four times so far this year. Today I was at the Black
River in Hackelbarney. I have not had any luck yet. I used GRHE,Pheasant
Tail,Royal Coachman Wet, and a Adams dry. I used a 7.5 to 9 FT leader
including tippit( both 4X). The thing that I hate is I see bait guys
with a stringer full of fish.This is basically my second season FF. Is
my lack of success normal. I am tying my own flies, but do buy
sometimes. I dont know what else to try. Any suggestions?

--
tim

tim -

You said: "The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer
full of fish."

What do you mean?

TBone
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-04-22, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Tim -

(Tim?)

A cash flow runs through it.

LOL
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

On 2008-04-22, Conan The Librarian wrote:

Seriously, I ask you again: When was the last time you fished for
subsistence?

I'd starve to death.

OTOH, it's the only reason I fish. Screw a buncha catch and release. If I
catch a legal fish, I'm gonna eat it.

I daresay no one reading these posts actually fishes for
subsistence. You may keep fish you catch to eat, but you don't subsist
on fishing.

If you did, you'd choose a more efficient method than flyfishing.

I don't quite understand the romantic
notion of fishing. What? A 200lb man with $500 worth of hardware lands a
2lb fish. Big whoop. To some, I guess. If that's their thing, so be it.

Why do you flyfish then?

I have nothing against CnR.

And I have nothing against people keeping their legal limit. I
choose not to on most waters I fish. Big whoop. It's my choice, and it
happens to be the way I prefer it.

Despite Tim's constant protestations, I'd venture a guess that most
ROFFians attitudes are similar. We don't have problems with areas that
are C'n'R; if we choose to fish them we follow the rules. But it's not
an all or nothing situation for us like it is for Tim. We are
comfortable in how we approach the sport. Tim isn't, therefore he's
trying to drag everyone else down to his level.

[...]

Hypocrites are hypocrites. Whether they happen to be flyfishermen,
baitfishermen, catch and kill, catch and release is immaterial to that fact.

Chuck Vance