Overloading fly rod

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Jim Tedder

Default Overloading fly rod

Hi
I have been fly fishing for about a year now and have struggled to master
casting. I recently had a casting lesson at Grafham and the instructor
suggested that the line I was using is not loading the rod. I have a AFTM6/7
9'6" GRXI rod and reel loaded with Airflo ultra supple line rated at 7. He
suggests that I pt an AFTM8 line on to correctly load the rod. Now as I am
currently out of work and have just purchased 5 new lines, all AFTM7 I don't
really want to spend out on new lines only to find it isn't the problem. Is
any one fishing with the same setup or has had a similar problem using this
line with this rod?
Any advice would be gratefully received....

--
LLAP.....James T

Old June 21st, 2009, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Jim Tedder
wrote:

You mean underloading..?

I have been fly fishing for about a year now and have struggled to master
casting. I recently had a casting lesson at Grafham and the instructor
suggested that the line I was using is not loading the rod. I have a AFTM6/7
9'6" GRXI rod and reel loaded with Airflo ultra supple line rated at 7. He

Probably two or three weights too low for a beginner.

suggests that I pt an AFTM8 line on to correctly load the rod. Now as I am
currently out of work and have just purchased 5 new lines, all AFTM7 I don't
really want to spend out on new lines only to find it isn't the problem. Is

Alternatively get a 5 weight rod and try the new lines on that.

any one fishing with the same setup or has had a similar problem using this
line with this rod?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Google for several series of posts here in the first part of 2002. Mike Connor went through all this in detail.

Look at this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....+author:connor

and this one:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....+author:connor

And generally review the group for that period.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey

In message , Jim Tedder
writes
Hi
I have been fly fishing for about a year now and have struggled to
master casting. I recently had a casting lesson at Grafham and the
instructor suggested that the line I was using is not loading the rod.
I have a AFTM6/7 9'6" GRXI rod and reel loaded with Airflo ultra supple
line rated at 7. He suggests that I pt an AFTM8 line on to correctly
load the rod. Now as I am currently out of work and have just purchased
5 new lines, all AFTM7 I don't really want to spend out on new lines
only to find it isn't the problem. Is any one fishing with the same
setup or has had a similar problem using this line with this rod?
Any advice would be gratefully received....

Going up one size of line will make like a lot easier. You will feel
that the line "wants" to go, and seeing as you are a novice fly-caster,
I doubt very much if you will overload the road at this stage.

When you learn to double haul and go in for distance casting, THEN be
careful, you could quite easily smash a rod.
--
Bill Grey

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey

In message , Bill Grey
writes
[...]

By the way, I thought the NG was too quiet. In the winter I expect it
to be so but I have only now seen postings from the beginning of the
year!

Strange! Has my ISP been hiding them??
--
Bill Grey

Old August 16th, 2009, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Bill Grey
wrote:

By the way, I thought the NG was too quiet. In the winter I expect it
to be so but I have only now seen postings from the beginning of the
year!

Well, it -has- been quiet but, have you looked at the dates of the posts to
which you were replying?

Strange! Has my ISP been hiding them??

Dunno where they were hidden or by whom...

Cheerio,