Thoughts on Catskills w/ kid

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

Default Thoughts on Catskills w/ kid

My brother has started my 7 year old nephew on fly fishing, and we'd like
to get together someplace nice for a very rare get together. I'd like to
do the Catskills.

The kid will be 8 when this happens. My gut tells me that I shouldn't be
looking at this as a fishing trip, but as taking the kid fishing, and if
circumstances permit, get my brother over a fish or two.

Since an 8 year old isn't full sized, I'm thinking maybe finding a small
stream with hungry brookies is the way to go, late spring or early summer.

Any thoughts on this? If it sounds good, any likely water??

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 8 Aug 2008 17:35:55 GMT, Scott Seidman
wrote:

Any thoughts on this? If it sounds good, any likely water??

I've been down this road a few time, Scott, and am in the process of
traveling down it again with my 7 and 6 yo grandsons. A child that
young has got to catch something to keep his interest, so I would
suggest sunfish/pan fish for his first adventure, or, if availabe, a
small stream with some little brookies that will hit just about
anything.

I spent several hours at a pond with my older grandsons when they were
12/13 teaching them how to cast and even playing a fish (me) before we
actually went fishing. They caught some sunfish/blue gills and within
a few weeks they were at the Rapid catching good size brookies and
salmon.

Old August 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

Dave LaCourse wrote in
:

wrote:

Any thoughts on this? If it sounds good, any likely water??

I've been down this road a few time, Scott, and am in the process of
traveling down it again with my 7 and 6 yo grandsons. A child that
young has got to catch something to keep his interest, so I would
suggest sunfish/pan fish for his first adventure, or, if availabe, a
small stream with some little brookies that will hit just about
anything.

I spent several hours at a pond with my older grandsons when they were
12/13 teaching them how to cast and even playing a fish (me) before we
actually went fishing. They caught some sunfish/blue gills and within
a few weeks they were at the Rapid catching good size brookies and
salmon.

Dave

That's a great idea. I think the campground I'm thinking of has a nice
casting pond, should all else fail. It's going to be a new experience for
me, camping without excessive beer.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve Cain

On Aug 8, 1:35 pm, Scott Seidman wrote:
My brother has started my 7 year old nephew on fly fishing, and we'd like
to get together someplace nice for a very rare get together. I'd like to
do the Catskills.

The kid will be 8 when this happens. My gut tells me that I shouldn't be
looking at this as a fishing trip, but as taking the kid fishing, and if
circumstances permit, get my brother over a fish or two.

Since an 8 year old isn't full sized, I'm thinking maybe finding a small
stream with hungry brookies is the way to go, late spring or early summer.

Any thoughts on this? If it sounds good, any likely water??

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

I'd listen to the Pirate - head for bluegills at the pond because
they're not too skittish. The brookies might head for cover at the
first stray shadow or bungled cast, at least, that's what the little
browns do in the small streams in the Poconos, meaning ninja fishing.
The brookies in small streams in the Rockies have no such issues, in
which case I'd say carry on.

I like to use #8 poppers so they're a little too big for the little
sunfish to get stuck in their throat, but not too big for them to peck
at the popper. Lots of action, minimal surgery.
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 8 Aug 2008 18:54:15 GMT, Scott Seidman
wrote:

camping without excessive beer.

And camping without Reid and his dancing bears.

d;o)

Old August 9th, 2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:22:06 -0700 (PDT), Steve Cain
wrote:

Lots of action, minimal surgery.

Which reminds me: Ensure that your barbs are pinched and the kids
are wearing some kind of eye glasses.

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Dave LaCourse
writes
wrote:

Lots of action, minimal surgery.

Which reminds me: Ensure that your barbs are pinched and the kids
are wearing some kind of eye glasses.

Dave

An alternative method would be to fish a very buoyant fly - a deerhair
or elkhair amd retrieve quickly to create a decent wake. The fish will
go mad for it and if you dispense with the actual point, not just the
barb, you won't harm any fish and have some great sport.

I fished like this on a four fish ticket point and had great sport seing
the chasing rainbows. My neighbour angler commented how unlucky I had
been not hooking anything:-)
--
Bill Grey

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"W. D. Grey" wrote in
:

In article , Dave LaCourse
writes
wrote:

Lots of action, minimal surgery.

Which reminds me: Ensure that your barbs are pinched and the kids
are wearing some kind of eye glasses.

Dave

An alternative method would be to fish a very buoyant fly - a

deerhair
or elkhair amd retrieve quickly to create a decent wake. The fish will
go mad for it and if you dispense with the actual point, not just the
barb, you won't harm any fish and have some great sport.

I fished like this on a four fish ticket point and had great sport

seing
the chasing rainbows. My neighbour angler commented how unlucky I had
been not hooking anything:-)

Believe it or not, some company used to sell a "Touch and Go" hoook, that
had eyes at both ends.

Ever salt an area with peanuts, tie a peanut to your hookless leader, and
fish for chipmunks??

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:06:00 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

I fished like this on a four fish ticket point and had great sport seing
the chasing rainbows. My neighbour angler commented how unlucky I had
been not hooking anything:-)

Something similar happened to me. I was fishing a productive hole on
the Rapid, with a fellow waiting for me to finish/move on. Before he
arrived I had landed and released many nice brookies and salmon. The
point on my Goddard Caddis broke off but I continued to fish and set
the hook on another ten or fifteen rises before I left. Of course the
you chap that was watching assumed I had missed the takes.

At dinner that night, he was telling the story about the old guy who
couldn't set the hook, and when the old guy left, he went down to the
pool and took ten fish without too much trouble.

As he passed my cabin after dinner I invited him to look at the fly
still tied on the leader. It was then that he realized I was the "old
guy" and that I was only playing with the fish, intentionally not
catching them.

I always enjoy the take more than the fight afterward. A
long-line-release doesn't bother me anymore.

Be well, Bill.

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 13 Aug 2008 21:02:01 GMT, Scott Seidman
wrote:

Ever salt an area with peanuts, tie a peanut to your hookless leader, and
fish for chipmunks??

No, but I'm getting my mother's old glass rod out and will do it
tomorrow. Hillarious.