Open Facebook Sandwich

Old January 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Open Facebook Sandwich

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

but I think I'll just leave it alone.

(Blush) Gosh Ken, wow

Um, I went back to my newly created page and see nothing ...yet ... about
your invitation

BUT,

they sure are making a gallant effort to 'target' ads towards the tiny bit
of info I provided

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

Myron

I would not want to see you leave so I will defer to your wishes as I
really don't care about securuity settings so much - and lets hope that all
of all the others will do the same
We can still invite friennds to join and also some on ROFF
I could not get any more spam than i aready get
I get about 20 a day to extend the size of my penis

Fred
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

wrote in message
On Jan 8, 9:28 am, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:
"riverman" wrote ...

FB roffians:
There is a thread on the FB roff site you should take a quick look
at.

I've been on FB for a few (6?) months now. I've learned that much like on
USENET, there is no real privacy on FB. There are a few ways to minimize
"exposure" but all is discoverable. Google "facebook hacks" to see what a
moderately-determined person can find.

In the FB thread, a couple people have brought up concerns about people
seeing posts that, while pedestrian by roffian standards, may appear
incriminating to a less discerning audience. True enough that the
potential
for exposure exists, but so does it here. It's really no different. Unless
you sockpuppet yourself here or have somehow magically managed to keep
your
"real" name from ever being included (unlikely -- I tried and failed), if
someone wants to find what you've written, it's not too hard.

On the upside to USENET, not many people know of its existence, let alone
know how to access it. While that may give a facade of privacy, Google
does
not exclude USENET posts from its search results, making the separation
much
like the emperor's new clothes.

I'm not saying that it's not smart to have privacy concerns with respect
FB exposure, just that there is little difference between FB and ROFF.
Everything on the internet (or, "series of tubes" for the Stevens fans)
must
always be considered public.

-Dan
(who is leaving in a couple hours to chase steelies on the PM. Gonna be a
cold weekend.)

I tried a few times to find the ROFF group on FB. Can you help me? I
am a novice and have only posted here a few times recently.

I can't find it either

john

Old January 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

I could not get any more spam than i aready get
I get about 20 a day to extend the size of my penis

I don't get that any more since I'm in the "after" ads.
Frank Reid
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

Call me Mr. Sociable. ;-)

I never got an invite. You must have invited the only other Larry
Linthicum on FB .... he's also from California .. no connection

I found the ROFF group and snuck in uninvited ... hope that isn't the thing
Myron feared most

Thus far I've found that FBroff detracts from this ROFF, for me, in a way I
find interesting.

Since I've never met any of you here, much of my pleasure in the place is
similar to forming a mental picture of characters in a novel. Seeing
the photos on FBroff is much like going to the movie based on that novel and
feeling the casting director did a crappy job G ...... few seem to have a
visual image that matches the one I've conjured up.

Being a 'loner,' I've semi intentionally avoided posting any pictures with
me, even on my website. Looking at the one I put on FB, I don't look
nearly as grumpy, old, and curmudgeony as I really am G ..... ah well

Old January 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"asadi" wrote

I can't find it either

search groups for 'ROFF' from your home page ... worked for me

Old January 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 9-Jan-2009, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Frank_Reid_=A9_2008?=
wrote:

I could not get any more spam than i aready get
I get about 20 a day to extend the size of my penis

I don't get that any more since I'm in the "after" ads.
Frank Reid

Izzat you???
Wow
I am impressed
How can you keep that monster in. check?

Fred
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jan 10, 1:21*am, "Larry L" wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

Call me Mr. Sociable. ;-)

I never got an invite. * *You must have invited the only other Larry
Linthicum on FB .... he's also from California .. no connection

I found the ROFF group and snuck in uninvited ... hope that isn't the thing
Myron feared most

LOL. This whole 'invite' think is creeping up on epic humor, and I'm
the only one enjoying it. That aside comment about Ken inviting folks
was absolutely random...had nothing to do with anything and there was
no precedent behind it. Just tossing Ken's name into the fray for no
reason whatsoever. Funny to watch him get that big-eyed "who me?"
innocent face about it, and stumble around in confusion about it for a
few days, then see it spread to you. I suspect in a few days, everyone
on ROFF would be pelting Ken for invites to something or other... lol

In any case, I'm not worried about uninvites being on FB-roff; the
more the merrier. I just don't want the search and spambots to be
given tacit approval to do anything with my personal site (pictures,
posts, etc) by default because I'm a member of an open group. There
are enough weirdnesses with FB security settings that I don't trust
this particular one.

And merely not giving FB any info does not protect you. Pictures of
you that OTHERS post become part of the mix, and you have no control
over that. FB also recently had an application that monitored your
computer for Amazon.com and eBay purchases, and let your friends see
what you had recently purchased! You only had about 20 seconds to opt-
out of this before it was installed, then you lost the option of
deleting it forever. It raised a huge furor online before FB removed
it: people saw it as only being a heartbeat away from FB posting your
recent website search histories, and sites you frequent.

I have to be especially paranoid about identity theft: those who know
my lifestyle (folks who have lived internationally like JR, etc)
understand. I am the ultimate guardian of my own security, so my
preference is not to be on an open group. But I'll be around, and
lurking on FB-roff, and posting if I can figure out how to do it as a
non-member.

--riverman
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:

I could not get any more spam than i aready get
I get about 20 a day to extend the size of my penis

I don't get that any more since I'm in the "after" ads.
Frank Reid

Izzat you???
Wow
I am impressed
How can you keep that monster in. check?

Fred

He often falls on it.

--riverman
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

wrote:

I could not get any more spam than i aready get
I get about 20 a day to extend the size of my penis

I don't get that any more since I'm in the "after" ads.
Frank Reid

Izzat you???
Wow
I am impressed
How can you keep that monster in. check?

He often falls on it.

Oh, now *that's* funny!
--
TL,